Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed: -e expression #1, char 2: extra characters after command Post 302732951 by vgersh99 on Monday 19th of November 2012 11:43:03 AM
Old 11-19-2012
what's the objective of this?
Code:
sed -i "$di" $TXT

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to eliminate extra char?

I was trying to grep a variable with one space in my file: questionlabel=Q1 more job.tex Q1 pear Q1A applie grep -i "$questionlabel\ " job.tex > tmp But I keep getting : Q1 and Q1A both in my tmp Thanks!!!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed replace characters not equal to an expression

Hi all, Suppose I have a file with the contents below, and I only want to print words %S_ then | sort -u. ------------------------------ The %S_MSG that starts with '%.*s' is too long. Maximum length is %d. The %S_MSG name '%.*s' contains more than the maximum number of prefixes. The... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: poldo
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extra control characters being added when I create a file using cat command

Hi, I am using Cygwin.I created a new file and type into it using cat > newfile. When I open this using vi editor, it contains loads of extra control characters. Whats happening? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: erora
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

'sed' command shows extra line

Here is an interesting problem that I am seeing when using 'sed'. The goal is to print out the names of the Oracle SID's on a system and here is the command I am using: ps -ef|grep ora|grep pmon|awk '{print $NF}'|sed 's/ora_pmon_//' The output of the command after the awk is this: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: soleil4716
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: -e expression #1, char 21: unterminated `s' command

I have read many threads, but I still didn't find the right answer. May be i didn't find the right thread, though are so many threads for the same question. Basically the situation is - find date in a file and replace it with another date. (its not homework, its part of lot of a big processing,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: avinthm
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression

Hello All, I'm trying to extract the lines between two consecutive elements of an array from a file. My array looks like: problem_arr=(PRS111 PRS213 PRS234) j=0 while } ] do k=`expr $j + 1` sed -n "/${problem_arr}/,/${problem_arr}/p" problemid.txt ---some operation goes... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: InduInduIndu
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed returns error "sed: -e expression #1, char 18: unterminated `s' command"

Hello All, I have something like below LDC100/rel/prod/libinactrl.a LAA2000/rel/prod/libinactrl.a I want to remove till first forward slash that is outputshould be as below rel/prod/libinactrl.a rel/prod/libinactrl.a How can I do that ??? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How does this sed expression to remove non-alpha characters work?

Hello! I know that this expression gets rid of non-alphanumeric characters: sed 's///g' and I understand that it is replacing them with nothing - hence the '//'-, but I don't understand how it's doing it. It seems it's finding strings that begin with alphanumeric and replacing them with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bgnersoon2be#1
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: -e expression #1, char 16: unterminated address regex

I am trying to grep for a particular text (Do action on cell BL330) in a text file(sample.gz) which is searched in the content filtered by date+timestamp (2016-09-14 01:09:56,796 to 2016-09-15 04:10:29,719) on a remote machine and finally write the output into a output file on a local machine. ... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbadveti
23 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sed: -e expression #1, char 20: unterminated address regex

I am trying to add word in last of particular line. the same command syntex is running on prompt. but in bash script give error."sed: -e expression #1, char 20: unterminated address regex" Please help. for i in `cat servername`; do ssh -q -t root@$i sed -i '/simple_allow_groups =/s/$/,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yash_message
4 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/ksh93, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/ksh93, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh, and /usr/sfw/bin/zsh. /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells could cause unexpected behavior, such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1). FILES
/etc/shells list of shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.11 20 Nov 2007 shells(4)