Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help in awk to read the common txt Post 302732539 by Don Cragun on Sunday 18th of November 2012 10:31:51 AM
Old 11-18-2012
Some details about what it did give you might help:
  1. Did it give you all of the data you wanted for a subset of the files?
  2. Did it give you all of the data you wanted from some lines from all files, but not for other lines?
  3. What is the output on your system from the command getconf LINE_MAX?
  4. What is the output from the command ls -l *.list?
  5. What is the output from the command?:
    Code:
    awk 'FNR==1{if(m)printf("%6d\t%s\n",m,f)
            sm+=m+1;f=FILENAME;m=length($0);n++}
    length($0)>m{m=length($0)}
    END{printf("%6d\t%s\n%6d\tTotal for %d files\n",++m,f,sm+m,n)}' *.list

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

want to read txt fileline by line

Hi , i want to read a text file line by line , is there any unix command or utility for this ? please tell me how to use it also ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dharmesht
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read last line of a txt file?

I need to read the last file for a particular day, such as, "Jun 13" because the CSV file is cumulative for the entire day, so I don't want all the previous files, I just want the last file, for that day. I ran an 'ls -al | grep "June 13" > myLs.txt' (simplified) to list all files from that day.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read from txt file and use that as an array

Hi Guys How u all doing? I am having tough time to achieve this I have a unix .ksh script which calls sql script Right now I harcoded column id's in sql script but I want to read them from a txt file 1084,1143,1074,1080,1091,1090,1101,1069,1104,1087,1089,1081 I want to read this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinky
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK CSV to TXT format, TXT file not in a correct column format

HI guys, I have created a script to read 1 column in a csv file and then place it in text file. However, when i checked out the text file, it is not in a column format... Example: CSV file contains name,age aa,11 bb,22 cc,33 After using awk to get first column TXT file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mdap
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to read x.txt and grep from y.txt

How would I write a command(s) to read from a file (list) that looks like this: 29847374384 and grep from a second file (list) that looks like this: 29847374384, jkdfkjdf,3833,ddd:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smellylizzard
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can't read a .txt file

Hello, I have a set of .txt files I cannot read. This is a part of what I see. Is there a way to view these files? _MO<P.6D@K;WU<B$X-;)SIV/ROO!UL+1P=VTT-?,SLC`MI/6QMS#UYGGT\+)C=#\UIO`TL/0]=#/T) it's about 3 pages. Thanks for your help. Joe (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcracerjoe
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk append fileA.txt to growing file B.txt

This is appending a column. My question is fairly simple. I have a program generating data in a form like so: 1 20 2 22 3 23 4 12 5 43 For ever iteration I'm generating this data. I have the basic idea with cut -f 2 fileA.txt | paste -d >> FileB.txt ???? I want FileB.txt to grow, and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: theawknewbie
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to join 2 .txt files based on a common column?

Hi all, I'm trying to join two .txt file tab delimitated based on a common column. File 1 transcript_id gene_id length effective_length expected_count TPM FPKM IsoPct comp1000201_c0_seq1 comp1000201_c0 337 183.51 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 comp1000297_c0_seq1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alisrpp
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Desired output.txt for reading txt file using awk?

Dear all, I have a huge txt file (DATA.txt) with the following content . From this txt file, I want the following output using some shell script. Any help is greatly appreciated. Greetings, emily DATA.txt (snippet of the huge text file) 407202849... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk, sed, shell all words in INPUT.txt find in column1 of TABLE.txt and replce with column2 in

Hi dears i have text file like this: INPUT.txt 001_1_173 j nuh ]az 001_1_174 j ]esma. nuh ]/.xori . . . and have another text like this TABLE.txt j j nuh word1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alii
6 Replies
GIT-SH-SETUP(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-SH-SETUP(1)

NAME
git-sh-setup - Common Git shell script setup code SYNOPSIS
. "$(git --exec-path)/git-sh-setup" DESCRIPTION
This is not a command the end user would want to run. Ever. This documentation is meant for people who are studying the Porcelain-ish scripts and/or are writing new ones. The git sh-setup scriptlet is designed to be sourced (using .) by other shell scripts to set up some variables pointing at the normal Git directories and a few helper shell functions. Before sourcing it, your script should set up a few variables; USAGE (and LONG_USAGE, if any) is used to define message given by usage() shell function. SUBDIRECTORY_OK can be set if the script can run from a subdirectory of the working tree (some commands do not). The scriptlet sets GIT_DIR and GIT_OBJECT_DIRECTORY shell variables, but does not export them to the environment. FUNCTIONS
die exit after emitting the supplied error message to the standard error stream. usage die with the usage message. set_reflog_action Set GIT_REFLOG_ACTION environment to a given string (typically the name of the program) unless it is already set. Whenever the script runs a git command that updates refs, a reflog entry is created using the value of this string to leave the record of what command updated the ref. git_editor runs an editor of user's choice (GIT_EDITOR, core.editor, VISUAL or EDITOR) on a given file, but error out if no editor is specified and the terminal is dumb. is_bare_repository outputs true or false to the standard output stream to indicate if the repository is a bare repository (i.e. without an associated working tree). cd_to_toplevel runs chdir to the toplevel of the working tree. require_work_tree checks if the current directory is within the working tree of the repository, and otherwise dies. require_work_tree_exists checks if the working tree associated with the repository exists, and otherwise dies. Often done before calling cd_to_toplevel, which is impossible to do if there is no working tree. require_clean_work_tree <action> [<hint>] checks that the working tree and index associated with the repository have no uncommitted changes to tracked files. Otherwise it emits an error message of the form Cannot <action>: <reason>. <hint>, and dies. Example: require_clean_work_tree rebase "Please commit or stash them." get_author_ident_from_commit outputs code for use with eval to set the GIT_AUTHOR_NAME, GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL and GIT_AUTHOR_DATE variables for a given commit. create_virtual_base modifies the first file so only lines in common with the second file remain. If there is insufficient common material, then the first file is left empty. The result is suitable as a virtual base input for a 3-way merge. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-SH-SETUP(1)