Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Put words to fix position in a file Post 302732521 by Don Cragun on Sunday 18th of November 2012 07:57:53 AM
Old 11-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
As Don Cragun says, you leave us to wild guessing. Nevertheless, bipinajith's proposal might do what you want if slightly adapted:
Code:
awk -F'[=,]' '{printf "%-18s%-20s%-11s%-11s%-11s\n", $2,$4,$6,$8,$10}' file
123               dene                2312       234234     vxcvxcv    
3                 dene                22         23422342334vxcvxcv    
123               dene                2312       234234     vxcvxcv

After seeing bipinajith's proposal, I had considered this too. Note that in the 1st posting, the last output field comes from $12, not $10. I had come up with:
Code:
awk -F "[=,]" '{printf("%-19s%-20s%-11s%-20s%s\n",$2,$4,$6,$8,$12)}' file

which produces:
Code:
123                dene                2312       234234              44
3                  dene                22         23422342334         4
123                dene                2312       234234              678

but was waiting for bahadiraktan to respond to determine what value should be used instead of the 20 I have shown in red above. I had 19 for the first field's width instead of the 18 you used because bahadiraktan was specifying the 1st output column as #0 instead of the usual #1.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To Extract words from File based on Position

Hi Guys, While I was writing one shell script , I just got struck at this point. I need to extract words from a file at some specified position and do some comparison operation and need to replace the extracted word with another word. Eg : I like Orange very much. I need to replace... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: kuttu123
19 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put a word starting at particular position in a file using shell scripting

Hi all, I'm new to shell scripting and hence this query. I have 2 files. temp.txt and config.txt. The values in temp.txt are tab separated. ex: temp.txt AB CDE GHIJ OPQRS WXY ex:config.txt (1st line for 1st element of temp.txt and so on) start = '1' end='5' start = '6' end =... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhrap.das
26 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help to position words

Hi, I would like to have script that can do below, position words in the lines in a file, from below format firstname, lastname B200000 . . . into this format - <5 spaces>first name, lastname<29 spaces from extreme left>B200000 . . . Any idea how I can do this? :b: (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: upengan78
8 Replies

4. Programming

how to put element of an array to first position.

hi, I have a array like my $array = ( "apple","ball","cat","dog","elephant"); how to push some element in the array to the first position. for example my final array should be elephant apple ball cat dog (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vprasads
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting Concatenated Words in Input File with Words from a Master File

Hello, I have a complex problem. I have a file in which words have been joined together: Theboy ranslowly I want to be able to correctly split the words using a lookup file in which all the words occur: the boy ran slowly slow put child ly The lookup file which is meant for look up... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
21 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Put numbers against the words

Hi All, I tried to solve this but the result gives me all zeros for one file. I failed to do for all 500 files. I have some 500 files with the extension .dat I have another set of files; 500 in number with extension .dic I created these .dic files by using sort -u from the actual .dat files.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to concatene files and put each line of files on a specific position ?

Hi, I have some files that i want to concatene and put each of lines of this files on a specific position : File1 AAAAAAA BBBBBBB CCCCCCC File2 DDDDDDD EEEEEEE FFFFFFF File3 GGGGGG HHHHHH IIIIII New file (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: apippo70
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put delimiters in text files after fix characters?

Hi , i have a text file in which i want to put delimiters after certain characters ( fix),. like put a delimiter (any like ,) after 1-3 character than 4 than 5 than 6-17 ..... files looks like this (original)... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: anamdev
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search words in any quote position and then change the words

hi, i need to replace all words in any quote position and then need to change the words inside the file thousand of raw. textfile data : "Ninguno","Confirma","JuicioABC" "JuicioCOMP","Recurso","JuicioABC" "JuicioDELL","Nulidad","Nosino" "Solidade","JuicioEUR","Segundo" need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: benjietambling
1 Replies
IRSEND(1)								FSF								 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.8.7pre1 May 2010 IRSEND(1)