Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Unknown Disks "offline or reservation conflict" Post 302731687 by hicksd8 on Thursday 15th of November 2012 02:27:56 PM
Old 11-15-2012
Well this may need some investigation.

If the drive(s) are "offline" or "reserved" after a crash then they could just have been left in an inconsistent state.

A SCSI drive is a highly programmable device with a large number of registers held on what are technically known as "mode pages". A mode page can be set to "reserve" a drive to a particular host in a cluster, tell the drive to behave as if it has completely different geometry.

The first thing to do is to invoke the format command in expert mode:

Code:
format -e

and select a misbehaving drive and select "set all mode pages to default" from the menu. That will reset any flags left in an abnormal state. After that quit out.

Invoke format again in normal mode and see if you can select the drive and read the vtoc and see what slices are configured. If it won't let you do that then further investigation is required.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unknown error message "sh: No: not found"

I am getting this error message (sh: No: not found) and I have no idea what line in my unix script its coming from or what it means. Can anyone help? thanks, Cindy (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cindytucci
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

HP Tape Driver "Unknown Density"

Dear Experts and Advanced User, I encounter a rare problem as mentioned above. I am not able to read the tape cartridge using the following command: #dd if=/dev/rmt/0mnb ibs=16k | tar tvf - It will prompt me with the message saying DD I/O error, broken pipe; everytime the above command is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stufftiger
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

if returns "unknown test operator"

Greetings, using ksh on Solaris, I am trying to identify the current version of a package installed on multiple servers using if statement in a precursor to upgrading. I have searched the forums and have found many hits, reviewed 3 pages and have tried the different variations noted there. Also... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 22blaze
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

conflict: "for" loops and double precision numbers

Hi folk, Hope you enjoy the summer. I am stock after one day working, the problems are the following: 1) I want to write a for loop in a shell script code that has a double precision step as: #!/bin/bash START=0.00001 STOP=0.001 for((i = START ; i< STOP ; i=2*i)) do echo "$i"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: habib
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. Red Hat

Sendmail saying "user unknown" after setting up MX

Hi Friends, I set up the sendmail in my perosnal home lab. I am using mutt to send the email in between the machines. Everything is working fine if i send email like <username>@<hostname>. Now i set up the MX record for my domain "home.com" and then i was trying to send the email to like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rohit Bhanot
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Drive is showing offline in the /var/adm/messages and shows "drive type unknown" in the format outpu

Hi, I am facing issue with one of the drive is solaris 10. it is showing offline in the messages file scsi: WARNING: /pci@2,600000/QLGC,qlc@0/fp@0,0/ssd@w5006016746e00b1b,0 (ssd0): drive offline genunix: WARNING: Page83 data not standards compliant DGC LUNZ 0430 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prasanth T K
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
SD(4)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							     SD(4)

NAME
sd - driver for SCSI disk drives SYNOPSIS
#include <linux/hdreg.h> /* for HDIO_GETGEO */ #include <linux/fs.h> /* for BLKGETSIZE and BLKRRPART */ CONFIGURATION
The block device name has the following form: sdlp, where l is a letter denoting the physical drive, and p is a number denoting the parti- tion on that physical drive. Often, the partition number, p, will be left off when the device corresponds to the whole drive. SCSI disks have a major device number of 8, and a minor device number of the form (16 * drive_number) + partition_number, where drive_num- ber is the number of the physical drive in order of detection, and partition_number is as follows: +3 partition 0 is the whole drive partitions 1-4 are the DOS "primary" partitions partitions 5-8 are the DOS "extended" (or "logical") partitions For example, /dev/sda will have major 8, minor 0, and will refer to all of the first SCSI drive in the system; and /dev/sdb3 will have major 8, minor 19, and will refer to the third DOS "primary" partition on the second SCSI drive in the system. At this time, only block devices are provided. Raw devices have not yet been implemented. DESCRIPTION
The following ioctls are provided: HDIO_GETGEO Returns the BIOS disk parameters in the following structure: struct hd_geometry { unsigned char heads; unsigned char sectors; unsigned short cylinders; unsigned long start; }; A pointer to this structure is passed as the ioctl(2) parameter. The information returned in the parameter is the disk geometry of the drive as understood by DOS! This geometry is not the physical geometry of the drive. It is used when constructing the drive's partition table, however, and is needed for convenient operation of fdisk(1), efdisk(1), and lilo(1). If the geometry information is not available, zero will be returned for all of the parameters. BLKGETSIZE Returns the device size in sectors. The ioctl(2) parameter should be a pointer to a long. BLKRRPART Forces a reread of the SCSI disk partition tables. No parameter is needed. The SCSI ioctl(2) operations are also supported. If the ioctl(2) parameter is required, and it is NULL, then ioctl(2) fails with the error EINVAL. FILES
/dev/sd[a-h] the whole device /dev/sd[a-h][0-8] individual block partitions COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2017-09-15 SD(4)