Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Passwd question
Operating Systems Linux SuSE Passwd question Post 302730709 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 13th of November 2012 01:01:21 PM
Old 11-13-2012
In the mean time perhaps this might help:
Man Page for chage (linux Section 1) - The UNIX and Linux Forums
This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

etc/passwd

Hi!!, when I open the /etc/passwd file on my workstation, I find a entry as below... +::0:0::: Could u tell me what does it mean?? I have never seen anything like that before.... :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

passwd

I have to change more then 200 User at once the password (security-dday). The programm passwd will answers (new password + again) How can i do this in a script? thanks for answers (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Erwin Stocker
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

no /etc/passwd

Hello ppl, A small mistake of mine has led the /etc/passwd file deleted. So i went to rescue mode and used the following command echo "root::0:0:Superuser:/:/bin/bash" > passwd but that did not get effect in anyway way. when I switch back to normal mode the root is still asking for a passwd.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyno
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

wc /etc/passwd

I have left unix for a long time.Almost forget everthing.:( Anybody can tell me what is the meaning? wc /etc/passwd 9 16 1155 /etc/passwd and $ wc -l /etc/passwd wc -l /etc/passwd 9 /etc/passwd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zhshqzyc
1 Replies

5. Solaris

A question on /etc/passwd file

I have a question here on /etc/passwd file. There is a user called user_a, when it is defined in /etc/passwd as below +user_a:x:::::/bin/ksh after user_a login, the system could not recognize the correct enviromental variable $USER_A_HOME which is defined in .kshrc file (under /home/user_a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ij_2005
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

/etc/passwd

Hello All I want to print only the full name from the /etc/passwd file and print it to the screen . Could you please let me know how can I do that? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: supercops
4 Replies

7. AIX

etc/passwd

Is there any way to allow users to access the etc/passwd file for commands like whoami but not be able to read the file? If I don't put a user in the security group and change the permissions on the etc/passwd file to 640 (rw-r-----) the users can login but the whoami command doesn't work for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveisme
5 Replies

8. Solaris

passwd cmd reenables passwd aging in shadow entry

Hi Folks, I have Solaris 10, latest release. We have passwd aging set in /etc/defalut/passwd. I have an account that passwd should never expire. Acheived by emptying associated users shadow file entries for passwd aging. When I reset the users passwd using passwd command, it re enables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

etc/passwd help

Hi! i've been searching a way to display the users who are in the /etc/passwd directory...using ls or grep or cat command should do it?i can't find a way to get this right..i mean none of the preview commands function sounded good to me to use... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: strawhatluffy
9 Replies

10. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies
lchage(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 lchage(8)

NAME
lchage - Display or change user password policy SYNOPSIS
lchage [OPTION]... user DESCRIPTION
Displays or allows changing password policy of user. OPTIONS
-d, --date=days Set the date of last password change to days after Jan 1 1970. -E, --expire=days Set the account expiration date to days after Jan 1 1970. Set days to -1 to disable account expiration. -i, --interactive Ask all questions when connecting to the user database, even if default answers are set up in libuser configuration. -I, --inactive=days Disable the account after days after password expires (after the user user is required to change the password). -l, --list Only list current user's policy and make no changes. -m, --mindays=days Require at least days days between password changes. Set days to 0 to disable this checking. -M, --maxdays=days Require changing the password after days since last password change. Set days to 99999 to disable this checking. -W, --warndays=days Start warning the user days before password expires (before the user is required to change the password). EXIT STATUS
The exit status is 0 on success, nonzero on error. libuser Jan 12 2005 lchage(8)