Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris HBA data traffic monitor in Solaris 10. Post 302730583 by uxravi on Tuesday 13th of November 2012 08:55:33 AM
Old 11-13-2012
HBA data traffic monitor in Solaris 10.

Hi All
We have T4-4 Server with 2 HBA configured for SAN connectivity. We want to monitor Data traffice going through these HBA. On other AIX system we have that capability with nmon. Following screen shows nmon HBA monitoring can we achieve same in Solaris 10.

+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+-topas_nmon--2=Top-Child-CPU----Host=secdv1-----Refresh=2 secs---08:51.45-----------------------------------------------------+
| Fibre-Channel-Adapter -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| Adapter Receive Transmit -Requests- --Size KB-- |
|Number Name KB/s KB/s In Out In Out |
| 1 fcs0 0.6 0.0 2.5 0.0 0.2 0.0 |
| 2 fcs1 0.6 2.0 2.5 0.5 0.2 4.0 |
| 3 fcs2 0.6 2.0 2.5 0.5 0.2 4.0 |
| 4 fcs3 0.6 2.0 2.5 0.5 0.2 4.0 |
| Totals 0.0 0.0 MB/s 9.9 1.5 |
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| |

---------- Post updated at 08:55 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:52 AM ----------

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+-topas_nmon--2=Top-Child-CPU----Host=secdv1-----Refresh=2 secs---08:51.45-------------------------------------+
| Fibre-Channel-Adapter -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| Adapter Receive Transmit -Requests- --Size KB-- |
|Number Name KB/s KB/s In Out In Out |
| 1 fcs0 0.6 0.0 2.5 0.0 0.2 0.0 |
| 2 fcs1 0.6 2.0 2.5 0.5 0.2 4.0 |
| 3 fcs2 0.6 2.0 2.5 0.5 0.2 4.0 |
| 4 fcs3 0.6 2.0 2.5 0.5 0.2 4.0 |
| Totals 0.0 0.0 MB/s 9.9 1.5 |
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| |

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to get HBA details in Solaris 9 ?

Hi , How can I collect information about any Hardware , specially HBA (Host Bus Adapter) .... I tried prtdiag but it is not shoing the HBA details. Regards (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adel8483
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How do I know which HBA cards' hardware I have (on Solaris 10) ?

Hi, I'm trying to determine which HBA cards are installed on my Solaris 10 (Sun-Fire-V240) machine. The relevant data I have is below, but from it I cannot ascertain for sure if I have Emulex 10000 or 11000 HBA cards. Can anyone suggest how to determine my HBA hardware ? Thanks, Ron. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronbarak
3 Replies

3. Solaris

How do I know which HBA cards' hardware I have (on Solaris 10) ?

Hi, I'm trying to determine which HBA cards are installed on my Solaris 10 (Sun-Fire-V240) machine. The relevant data I have is below, but from it I cannot ascertain for sure if I have Emulex 10000 or 11000 HBA cards. Can anyone suggest how to determine my HBA hardware ? Thanks, Ron. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronbarak
4 Replies

4. Solaris

hba speed Solaris 9

Hello, In Solaris 10 I can use fcinfo to find what speed the hba ports are running at, am I able to find this out using Solaris 9? I have tried a few variations on luxadm but cant find anything relevant. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Actuator
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

How to monitor network device traffic using MRTG?

How to monitor network device traffic using MRTG? How can I add network devices in MRTG configuration to monitor? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Tracing node to a particular HBA in Solaris 9

I have one disk that is reporting I/O errors but the same LUN mounted on a different node is able to access it without issue, is there a way to identify which HBA is being used for the LUN without swapping each out at a time? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thmnetwork
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux bridged firewall - monitor traffic & block IP

Hi All, I successfully configured a DEBIAN Lenny bridged firewall using ebtables. The bridged interface is br0. The ethernet interface are eth0 & eth1 respectively. All the traffic are transparently passing my firewall but i need to find & block temporarily the bandwidth abusers. Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coolatt
1 Replies

8. IP Networking

I would like to monitor network traffic for a computer on my network

My son does homework on a school laptop. I was thinking about setting up a gateway on my home network, so that I can monitor web traffic and know if he is doing his homework without standing over his shoulder. Ideally I would like to use the Raspberry Pi Model b that I already have. However, I... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: gandolf989
15 Replies
hbaapi_general_vendor_fns(3C)											     hbaapi_general_vendor_fns(3C)

NAME
hbaapi_general_vendor_fns: HBA_GetVersion(), HBA_LoadLibrary(), HBA_FreeLibrary(), HBA_GetNumberOfAdapters(), HBA_GetAdapterName(), HBA_OpenAdapter(), HBA_CloseAdapter() - Fibre Channel SNIA Host Bus Adapter general vendor-implemented functions SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
This manpage covers Fibre Channel Storage Network Industry Association Host Bus Adapter vendor-implemented functions that are related to general adapter operations. This function returns the version of the FC SNIA API this library conforms to. This function loads the HBA libraries which have a valid entry in the file. This function must be called before calling any other HBA library functions. This function frees the HBA vendor libraries loaded during a call to The only function in the library that may be called once this has been called is This function returns the current number of HBAs supported by the library. This function is used to obtain the name of the adapter supported by the library whose index is adapter_index. The text string (pointed to by adapter_name) describes the adapter. This string is used to open the adapter within the library and is of the form: mfgdomain-model-adapter_index and is allocated by the application calling this function. The valid range of adapter_index is from 0 to "1 less than the value returned by ". This function opens a named adapter. By opening the adapter, an application is ensuring that all access to the (refer to between an open and a close is to the same adapter. A call to does not necessarily imply a driver "open" and this is vendor implementation dependent. adapter_name is a textual description of an adapter as retrieved from a call to This function closes an open adapter. handle is of type (refer to and is obtained for an adapter by calling WARNINGS
This implementation of the FC SNIA HBA API enforces a calling order as follows: 1. should be called only after all open adapters have been fully closed. 2. An adapter shall be deemed fully closed only when for every successful a has been called. 3. Every should be called only after a corresponding is called. 4. Between two calls to a call to must be made. 5. should be called only after has been called. 6. should be called for any adapter only after has been called at least once. 7. should be called for an adapter only after has been called at least once for the same adapter. RETURN VALUES
returns: 1 Which is the version of the API to which this library conforms to. No other return value is cur- rently valid. returns: The library has been loaded properly. The library is busy processing a call that cannot be executed concurrently with other calls and may be modifying internal data structures. There is a problem with loading. returns: The library was able to free all resources. The library is busy processing a call that cannot be executed concurrently with other calls and may be modifying internal data structures. There is a problem with freeing resources. If returns 0, the variable is set to one of the following listed values: When number of adapters in the system is 0 When the library is busy processing another call When there is an out of order call When there are too many open files When there is an internal error Any other return value gives the number of adapters identified by this library. returns: On success. The pointer passed to this function is NULL. The library is busy processing a call that cannot be executed concurrently with other calls and may be modifying internal data structures. The adapter_index passed is not valid. An internal error has occured. returns: Non-zero A valid handle to the adapter. 0 When there is a problem in opening the adapter. In this case the is set to one of the following listed values: An invalid argument is passed. The library is busy processing another call. There is an out of order call. An adapter is unavailable. There is a file open error. There is an internal error. EXAMPLES
HBA_GetVersion() HBA_UINT32 version; version = HBA_GetVersion(); printf("Running version %u of the HBA API library.", version); HBA_LoadLibrary() HBA_STATUS status; status = HBA_LoadLibrary(); if (status == HBA_STATUS_OK) { printf("Successfully loaded HBA library. "); } HBA_FreeLibrary() HBA_STATUS status; status = HBA_FreeLibrary(); if (status == HBA_STATUS_OK) { printf("Successfully freed HBA library. "); } HBA_GetNumberOfAdapters() HBA_UINT32 version; int i; HBA_STATUS status; char adapter_name[256]; number_of_adapters = HBA_GetNumberOfAdapters(); for (i = 0; i < number_of_adapters; i++) { status = HBA_GetAdapterName(i, adapter_name); if (status == HBA_STATUS_OK) { printf("Adapter %d is named %s ", i, adapter_name); } } HBA_GetAdapterName() HBA_UINT32 version; int i; HBA_STATUS status; char adapter_name[256]; number_of_adapters = HBA_GetNumberOfAdapters(); for (i = 0; i < number_of_adapters; i++) { status = HBA_GetAdapterName(i, &adapter_name); if (status == HBA_STATUS_OK) { printf("Adapter %d is named %s ", i, adapter_name); } } HBA_OpenAdapter() int i; HBA_STATUS status; HBA_HANDLE adapterhandle; char adapter_name[256]; number_of_adapters = HBA_GetNumberOfAdapters(); for (i = 0; i < number_of_adapters; i++) { status = HBA_GetAdapterName (i, &adapter_name); if (status == HBA_STATUS_OK) { adapterhandle = HBA_OpenAdapter(adapter_name); if (adapterhandle != 0) { printf("Successfully opened %s ", adapter_name); HBA_CloseAdapter(adapterhandle); } } } HBA_CloseAdapter() adapterhandle = HBA_OpenAdapter(adapter_name); if (adapterhandle != 0) { printf ("Successfully opened %s ", adapter_name); HBA_CloseAdapter(adapterhandle); } FILES
Contains the related data structures and definitons as in AUTHOR
These APIs were developed by Hewlett-Packard Company. SEE ALSO
HBAAPI(3C), HBA_GetAdapterAttributes(3C), HBA_GetAdapterPortAttributes(3C), HBA_GetPortStatistics(3C), HBA_GetDiscoveredPortAttributes(3C), HBA_GetPortAttributesByWWN(3C), HBA_SendCTPassThru(3C), HBA_GetEventBuffer(3C), HBA_SetRNIDMgmtInfo(3C), HBA_GetRNIDMgmtInfo(3C), HBA_SendRNID(3C), HBA_GetFcpTargetMapping(3C), HBA_GetFcpPersistentBinding(3C), HBA_SendScsiInquiry(3C), HBA_SendReportLUNs(3C), HBA_SendReadCapacity(3C), HBA_RefreshInformation(3C), HBA_ResetStatistics(3C). hbaapi_general_vendor_fns(3C)