Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Set default return address for all mails sent from mailx Post 302730323 by aixlover on Monday 12th of November 2012 03:03:20 PM
Old 11-12-2012
Set default return address for all mails sent from mailx

Hi, I have a question about mailx in Red Hat:

If I use 'mail userid@mydomain.com -- -f root@mydomain.com', the return mail address will be root@mydomain.com.

How can I make all mails sent from this system use root@mydomain.com as return address by default?

Thank you in advance!

nz

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

how to send mails to users on exchange server from sendmail/solaris(mailx)

Hi, Can anyone pls. tell me how to access Active directory from solaris. I am looking at solution by which I can send mail notification from the logs generated by scripts, to the users on Exchange server. I am trying for a Perl-LDAP module , but don't realy know how to go for it (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganeshh
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Does Mailx store the mails sent

Hi, I use mailx in a shell script to mail a message to the users. i wanted to know if mailx stores the mail that it sends? for eg in microsoft outlook all mails sent get stored in the outbox. is there such a facility with mailx? if not how i can do this so that for every mail sent, a backup... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: munira_johar
6 Replies

3. Debian

cannot send any mails using mailx

hi howto configure mailx ? kind regards ccc (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all mails using mailx or mail

Hi , ?im a newbie using shell scripts. Is there any way to write a script that will delete all mails from my mailbox using mail or mailx command Thanks for your time E. Festas (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninjanesto
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

mailx is not working outside e-mails

HI i wrote schell script to send e-mail automatically. it works only e-mail for our company.say for example, company name is : abc, example: joe@abc.com every body is receiving with xxx@abc.com (abc.com) if any body from outside of our company like joe@xyz.com.(xyz.com) are not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raosurya
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 's

Hi All, Can anyone please let me know the syntax / how to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 'system()' function and '${?}'. I am in a process to send the mail automatically with an attachment to bulk users. I have used 'Mailx' and 'Unencode'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

mailx- how to delete least of mails

Hi, when i run the mailx command it gives me the least of mails . suppose there are 1- 150 mails and i want to delete 30 to 145 mails . then what command i have to use here? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aish11
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

2 mails from mailx command

hi, While using mailx command i am receiving 2 mails with the same content in both the mails.I am attaching a file to the mailx command. In one mail file is coming as attachement and in other attachment is not there. I am using mailx command in this way. echo "Some content" |mailx... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arijitsaha
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Sending Mails to the Multiple Email Address

Hi All, I am pretty new to the mail service in Sun Solaris 5.10. If anybody help me in writing a script for the multiple recipient with subject and the body would be a helpful. Kindly help... Thanks in advance. :) Warm Regards, Pramod (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pramod_009
5 Replies

10. HP-UX

Mailx command running successfully but no mails received.

Hi, I am working on a HP-UX box. Mailx command running successfully but no mails received. Here is what I am doing rocfm@comhp73 - mailx -s "subject" abc@gmail.com < abc.txt Null message body; hope that's ok rocfm@comhp73 - echo $? 0 rocfm@comhp73 - echo "something" | mailx -v -s... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sunayna
1 Replies
WATCH-MIMEDEFANG(8)					      System Manager's Manual					       WATCH-MIMEDEFANG(8)

NAME
watch-mimedefang - Keep an eye on mimedefang-multiplexor SYNOPSIS
watch-mimedefang [options] DESCRIPTION
watch-mimedefang is a Tk script which graphically displays the status of mimedefang-multiplexor(8). Note that Tcl/Tk 8.0 or higher is required to run watch-mimedefang. DISPLAY
watch-mimedefang's display is divided into three main areas, from top to bottom: o The graph display shows six graphs representing various statistics about the multiplexor. o The control area shows the maximum number of slaves, number of busy slaves, and number of idle slaves. The "Control Command" text entry lets you monitor remote MIMEDefang servers; see "REMOTE MONITORING" for details. The "10s", "1m", "5m" and "10m" checkboxes allow you to enable or disable the graphing of statistics averaged over the last 10 sec- onds, 1 minute, 5 minutes and 10 minutes. The "Reread Filters" button forces the multiplexor to reread filter rules. The "Quit" button terminates watch-mimedefang. o The scale at the bottom lets you change the update interval (default 500ms). Be aware that frequent updating may make watch-mimede- fang consume a significant fraction of CPU time. THE GRAPH AREA
The graph area contains six graphs: o Busy Slaves This graph shows the number of busy slaves each time the statistics are sampled. o Slaves/scan This graph shows the average number of busy slaves each time a message was scanned. The red plot shows the average over the last ten seconds, the blue plot shows the average over the last minute, and the green and yellow plots show the average over the last five and ten minutes, respectively. o Latency (ms) This graph shows the average time taken by each SCAN command over the last ten seconds, one minute, five minutes and ten minutes. o Messages/s This graph shows the average number of messages per second that were scanned. o Activations/s This graph shows the average number of new slaves activated per second. o Reaps/s This graph shows the average number of slaves that have terminated per second. If the Activations and Reaps increase significantly, it could indicate heavy load, or an error causing filters to terminate abnor- mally. If only Activations increase, then it probably indicates a sudden increase in e-mail volume. If only Reaps increase, then it probably indicates a quiet time just after a period of heavy mail volume. You can enable or disable the ten second, one minute, five minute or ten minute plots by clicking on the "10s", "1m", "5m" or "10m" check- box. REMOTE MONITORING
Running watch-mimedefang on your actual mail server poses two problems: You need Tcl/Tk and the X client libraries installed, and the CPU consumption of watch-mimedefang can be considerable. A better method is to run watch-mimedefang on a desktop machine, but have it monitor the mail server with a remote session. The best way to establish a remote session is via SSH. For example, if you are running MIMEDefang on "mail.mydomain.net", you can type the following into the Control Command entry box and press enter: ssh root@mail.mydomain.net md-mx-ctrl You must have a public/private key for the target machine and you must be running ssh-agent or equivalent; you cannot use an ssh command that requires entry of a password or passphrase. Assuming your SSH setup is correct, watch-mimedefang will open an SSH connection to mail.mydomain.net and exchange low-bandwith information over that session for monitoring purposes. COMMAND-LINE OPTIONS watch-mimedefang accepts the following command-line options: -command cmd Use cmd as the control command. You may need to quote cmd -interval msec Set the update interval to msec milliseconds. -10s flag Enable the "10s" graph plot if flag is 1, or disable it if flag is 0. -1m flag Enable the "1m" graph plot if flag is 1, or disable it if flag is 0. -5m flag Enable the "5m" graph plot if flag is 1, or disable it if flag is 0. -10m flag Enable the "10m" graph plot if flag is 1, or disable it if flag is 0. -title string Add string to the title of the main window. -help Print usage information. EXAMPLE
As an example, to monitor MIMEDefang on the machine "mail.mydomain.net" updating once a second, with the 5m and 10m plots turned off, use: watch-mimedefang -command 'ssh root@mail.mydomain.net md-mx-ctrl' -interval 1000 -5m 0 -10m 0 -title "mail" AUTHOR
watch-mimedefang was written by David F. Skoll <dfs@roaringpenguin.com>. The mimedefang home page is http://www.mimedefang.org/. PERMISSIONS
watch-mimedefang uses md-mx-ctrl; therefore, it probably needs to be run as root or the same user as mimedefang-multiplexor, or (if you are monitoring a remote machine), the SSH connection must be done as root or the MIMEDefang user. SEE ALSO
mimedefang.pl(8), mimedefang-filter(5), mimedefang(8), mimedefang-protocol(7), md-mx-ctrl(8), watch-multiple-mimedefangs(8) 4th Berkeley Distribution 24 October 2002 WATCH-MIMEDEFANG(8)