Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to count number of files in directories Post 302730203 by jim mcnamara on Monday 12th of November 2012 10:23:31 AM
Old 11-12-2012
Did you include
Code:
#!/bin/ksh

as the very first line? - I would guess "no". That will fix the problem.

or you can change
Code:
echo "$dir $( du $dir |wc -l)"

to
Code:
echo "$dir `du $dir |wc -l`"

-- those are backticks
If you cannot do that for some reason then:
You are running what shell on what UNIX os?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Get Count of all files in all the directories

Hello, I am looking for a way to get the TOTAL COUNT of the files present in all directories(sub directories) under the root directory..The files can be of any type viz. txt, doc, html, wav, jpeg etc. If it has an extension, it has to be counted.. I want to run the script from the root directory.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: oniondosa
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Script - Count Files In Directories

Hey, I'm very new to AWK and am trying to write a script that counts the number of files in all subdirectories. So, basically, my root has many subdirectories, and each subdirectory has many files. How can I get the total count? I haven't been able to figure out how to loop through the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beefeater267
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count of files in directories

Hi, I have a requirement to find out the count of files in directories. I can do this very well by goind to each directory and then ls -lrt | wc -l. But I need to do it for hundreds of directories/sub-directories. I tried with this - for i in `ls -F | grep '/$'`; do `echo "$i"`| ls -lrt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unx100
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script on how to count the total number of lines of all the files under a directory

how to count the total number of lines of all the files under a directory using perl script.. I mean if I have 10 files under a directory then I want to count the total number of lines of all the 10 files contain. Please help me in writing a perl script on this. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adityam
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to count specific word and iterate over number of files.

Hi Experts, I want to know the count of specific word in a file. I have almost 600+ files. So I want to loop thru each file and get the count of the specific word. Please help me on achieving this... Many thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elamurugu
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get number of files and directories?

Hi All, can you please tell me how to get no.of files and directories in the given directory.:confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raju110384
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count of files and directories

Hi I have a jfs2 filesystem named /software in my aix 5.3 box. Please note that there are a lot of subdirectories under /software? I need to know the count of how many total files and directories are present under that mount point /software ? For example if by some commands we find that there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of files in directory and write to new file with number of files and their name?

Hi! I just want to count number of files in a directory, and write to new text file, with number of files and their name output should look like this,, assume that below one is a new file created by script Number of files in directory = 25 1. a.txt 2. abc.txt 3. asd.dat... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
20 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

List directories and count files inside

I'm trying to make a script that will list all directories under a selection as well as the number of files in each. I cannot get it to work under a symbolic link. The file structure is: XXX_20131127_001 dir01 (sym link) 2404x912 file.0000.xxx to ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: scribling
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count files between multiple directories

Hi All, Everyday we will receive 33 files in our source directory(/prd/pk) with the current date. Once our jobs are completed all the 33 files immediately will be moved to backup folder (/prd/pk/backup). Now, I need to check between source file directory (/prd/pdk) and backup file directory... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh_target
3 Replies
Jifty::Script::Po(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    Jifty::Script::Po(3pm)

options
       Returns a hash of all the options this script takes. (See the usage message for details)

run
       Runs the "update_catalogs" method.

_check_mime_type FILENAME
       This routine returns a mimetype for the file "FILENAME".

update_catalogs
       Extracts localizable messages from all files in your application, finds all your message catalogs and updates them with new and changed
       messages.

update_catalog FILENAME
       Reads "FILENAME", a message catalog and integrates new or changed translations.

extract_messages
       Find all translatable messages in your application, using Locale::Maketext::Extract.

print_help
       Prints out help for the package using pod2usage.

If the user specified --help, prints a brief usage message

If the user specified --man, prints out a manpage

pot_name
       Returns the name of the po template.

NAME
Jifty::Script::Po - Extract translatable strings from your application SYNOPSIS
jifty po --language <lang> Creates a <lang>.po file for translation jifty po Updates all existing po files Options: --language Language to deal with --dir Additional directories to extract from --js Generate json files from the current po files --help brief help message --man full documentation OPTIONS
--language This script an option, "--language", which is optional; it is the name of a message catalog to create. --dir Specify explicit directories to extract from. Can be used multiple times. The default directories will not be extracted if you use this option. --template_name Specify the name of the po template. Default to the lower-cased application name. --podir Specify the directory of the po templates. --js If "--js" is given, other options are ignored and the script will generate json files for each language under share/web/static/js/dict from the current po files. Before doing so, you might want to run "jifty po" with "--dir share/web/static/js" to include messages from javascript in your po files. --help Print a brief help message and exits. --man Prints the manual page and exits. DESCRIPTION
Extracts message catalogs for your Jifty app. When run, Jifty will update all existing message catalogs, as well as create a new one if you specify a --language option. perl v5.14.2 2010-12-08 Jifty::Script::Po(3pm)