Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to copy very large directory trees Post 302729953 by siegfried on Monday 12th of November 2012 02:51:06 AM
Old 11-12-2012
Tools How does --partial work?

How do I get the restart feature?
I tried the little script at linux - Resume rsync over SSH after broken connection? - Super User
and it seemed to work fine on a small directory.

Do I need to install the rsync deamon to have the automatic restart feature?
I think not -- but I'm not sure.

Does the --partial flag mean that if we previously rebooted in the middle of a transfer and we are executing this again, it will continue where it left off in the source directory? After reading the documentation, it does not look to me like "--partial" refers to partially copied directories but rather partially copied files.

Is there a way to tell rsync to only copy the files in the source directory that have not been correctly copied to the destination yet (because we were previously interrupted with a reboot)?

Thanks!
Siegfried

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy large dump file

Hi Experts.. Could anyone please let me know the easier way to copy large dump of files from one server to another. I am trying to copy a set of dump files on two different servers placed in different geographic locations.. Though there are other factors such as latency, etc., slowing up the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganga.dharan
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Best way to diff two huge directory trees

Hi I have a job that will be running nightly incremental backsup of a large directory tree. I did the initial backup, now I want to write a script to verify that all the files were transferred correctly. I did something like this which works in principle on small trees: diff -r -q... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: same1290
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to rsync or tar directory trees, with hidden directory, but without files?

I want to backup all the directory tress, including hidden directories, without copying any files. find . -type d gives the perfect list. When I tried tar, it won't work for me because it tars all the files. find . -type d | xargs tar -cvf a.tar So i tried rsync. On my own test box, the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fld2007
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to copy the directory but not copy certain file

Hi experts cp bin root src /mnt but not copy bin/bigfile any help? ( I post this thread in the "redhat" forum wrongly, I don't know how to withdraw that question in that wrong forum) Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is it better/possible to pause the rsyncing of a very large directory?

Possibly a dumb question, but I'm deciding how I'm going to do this. I'm currently rsyncing a 25TB directory (with several layers of sub directories most of which have video files ranging from 500 megs to 4-5 gigs), from one NAS to another using rsync -av. By the time I need to act ~15TB should... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
3 Replies

6. Slackware

What is the medium usually used to backup large trees?

Hi: What's asked. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stf92
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy the files in directory and sub folders as it is to another directory.

How to copy files from one directory to another directory with the subfolders copied. If i have folder1/sub1/sub2/* it needs to copy files to folder2/sub1/sub2/*. I do not want to create sub folders in folder2. Can copy command create them automatically? I tried cp -a and cp -R but did... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosh2626
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - Checking directory trees containing wild cards

Hi Can somebody please show me how to check from within a KSH script if a directory exists on that same host when parts of the directory tree are unknown? If these wildcard dirs were the only dirs at that level then ... RETCODE=$(ls -l /u01/app/oracle/local/*/* | grep target_dir) ... will... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
4 Replies
rsync_selinux(8)					rsync Selinux Policy documentation					  rsync_selinux(8)

NAME
rsync_selinux - Security Enhanced Linux Policy for the rsync daemon DESCRIPTION
Security-Enhanced Linux secures the rsync server via flexible mandatory access control. FILE_CONTEXTS SELinux requires files to have an extended attribute to define the file type. Policy governs the access daemons have to these files. If you want to share files using the rsync daemon, you must label the files and directories public_content_t. So if you created a special directory /var/rsync, you would need to label the directory with the chcon tool. chcon -t public_content_t /var/rsync To make this change permanent (survive a relabel), use the semanage command to add the change to file context configuration: semanage fcontext -a -t public_content_t "/var/rsync(/.*)?" This command adds the following entry to /etc/selinux/POLICYTYPE/contexts/files/file_contexts.local: /var/rsync(/.*)? system_u:object_r:publix_content_t:s0 Run the restorecon command to apply the changes: restorecon -R -v /var/rsync/ SHARING FILES
If you want to share files with multiple domains (Apache, FTP, rsync, Samba), you can set a file context of public_content_t and pub- lic_content_rw_t. These context allow any of the above domains to read the content. If you want a particular domain to write to the pub- lic_content_rw_t domain, you must set the appropriate boolean. allow_DOMAIN_anon_write. So for rsync you would execute: setsebool -P allow_rsync_anon_write=1 BOOLEANS
system-config-selinux is a GUI tool available to customize SELinux policy settings. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Dan Walsh <dwalsh@redhat.com>. SEE ALSO
selinux(8), rsync(1), chcon(1), setsebool(8), semanage(8) dwalsh@redhat.com 17 Jan 2005 rsync_selinux(8)