Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Search file or log for words or strings Post 302729877 by Yoda on Sunday 11th of November 2012 02:03:44 PM
Old 11-11-2012
Code:
# cat logfile
cat dog dog cat monkey
banana bike
dog

Code:
# cat logfile | tr ' ' '\n' | sort | uniq -c
   1 banana
   1 bike
   2 cat
   3 dog
   1 monkey

You can pipe the above output to grep to filter out the words that you are interested in.

Last edited by Yoda; 11-11-2012 at 03:46 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

search for words in file

hi all, i would like to search in a directory. all files they were found shoul be opend and looked about a keyword. if keyword is found i want to see the name of the file. i've rtfm of find and have a command like this : find /etc -exec cat \{}\ | grep KEYWORD but don't work, and : find... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Agent_Orange
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search File for Specific Words

I have a file that contains the following: Mon Dec 3 15:52:57 PST 2o007: FAILED TO PROCESSED FILE 200712030790881200.TXT - exit code=107 Tue Dec 4 09:08:57 PST 2007: FAILED TO PROCESSED FILE 200712030790879200a.TXT - exit code=107 This file also has a lot more stuff since it is a log file.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mevasquez
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search words in different file

Hi, I have 1 - 100 file I want the list of such file which contains word 'internet' Please provide command to do this (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushik02018
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search and append words in a file

Hi , I have a file myhost.txt which contains below, 127.0.0.1 localhost 1.17.1.5 atrpx958 11.17.10.11 atrpx958zone nsybhost I need to append words only after "atrpx958" like 'myhost' and 'libhost' and not after atrpx958zone. How to search the word atrpx958 only in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsreeni
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

monitoring search strings /var/log/messages

Hello Everyone, I am setting up monitoring system for linux server, I need to add few some common error message in monitoring file which can search those strings in /var/log/messages file on the client. can someone suggest few error messages. Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby320
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for words NOT in a text file

I have a long list of alphanumberic words (no spaces or characters) in file1.txt I need to check for the existance of each of the words from file1.txt against file2.txt and if the word is NOT in file2.txt, I need to know about it, either standard output or redirect to file3.txt For example:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search string within a file and list common words from the line having the search string

Hi, Need your help for this scripting issue I have. I am not really good at this, so seeking your help. I have a file looking similar to this: Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. How are you? Hello, i am human and name=PQRS. I am good. Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. Good bye. Hello, i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read in search strings from text file, search for string in second text file and output to CSV

Hi guys, I have a text file named file1.txt that is formatted like this: 001 , ID , 20000 002 , Name , Brandon 003 , Phone_Number , 616-234-1999 004 , SSNumber , 234-23-234 005 , Model , Toyota 007 , Engine ,V8 008 , GPS , OFF and I have file2.txt formatted like this: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: An0mander
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and repllace of strings with space between words

Dear all, I have gone through all the search and replace requests but none of them meet my particular need. I have a huge file in which all Unicode characters are stored as Names. A sample is given below. I want to replace strings in that file with a mapper from another file termed as master.dic. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search the multiple strings in app server.log?

Hi Team, Could you please suggest the below requirement. using the below server log, i just want only the order_id with combination of customer name , error code value as 5000111 & amount value using the shell script i tired using the command grep "error_code>50001111"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat918
6 Replies
UNBUFFER(1)						      General Commands Manual						       UNBUFFER(1)

NAME
unbuffer - unbuffer output SYNOPSIS
unbuffer program [ args ] INTRODUCTION
unbuffer disables the output buffering that occurs when program output is redirected from non-interactive programs. For example, suppose you are watching the output from a fifo by running it through od and then more. od -c /tmp/fifo | more You will not see anything until a full page of output has been produced. You can disable this automatic buffering as follows: unbuffer od -c /tmp/fifo | more Normally, unbuffer does not read from stdin. This simplifies use of unbuffer in some situations. To use unbuffer in a pipeline, use the -p flag. Example: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 CAVEATS
unbuffer -p may appear to work incorrectly if a process feeding input to unbuffer exits. Consider: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 If process1 exits, process2 may not yet have finished. It is impossible for unbuffer to know long to wait for process2 and process2 may not ever finish, for example, if it is a filter. For expediency, unbuffer simply exits when it encounters an EOF from either its input or process2. In order to have a version of unbuffer that worked in all situations, an oracle would be necessary. If you want an application-specific solution, workarounds or hand-coded Expect may be more suitable. For example, the following example shows how to allow grep to finish pro- cessing when the cat before it finishes first. Using cat to feed grep would never require unbuffer in real life. It is merely a place- holder for some imaginary process that may or may not finish. Similarly, the final cat at the end of the pipeline is also a placeholder for another process. $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | unbuffer grep abc | cat $ (cat /tmp/abcdef.log ; sleep 1) | unbuffer grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ BUGS
The man page is longer than the program. SEE ALSO
"Exploring Expect: A Tcl-Based Toolkit for Automating Interactive Programs" by Don Libes, O'Reilly and Associates, January 1995. AUTHOR
Don Libes, National Institute of Standards and Technology 1 June 1994 UNBUFFER(1)