Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux TuxOnIce stalls 3 times before resuming Post 302729575 by lockheed on Saturday 10th of November 2012 07:54:05 AM
Old 11-10-2012
Question TuxOnIce stalls 3 times before resuming

I am having trouble resuming from hibernation using TuxOnIce method.
The thing works, but in a very strange manner. Here's how it looks:

1. Computer boots and finds resume image and starts resume. It reads image from disk (takes ~10 seconds)
Reading kernel & process data...
Atomic restore.
Doing atomic copy/restore.

2. Resume pauses for about ~30 seconds displaying above message. There is NO disk or any other activity visible.

3. Screen goes blank, it beeps. and pauses for another ~30 seconds. There is NO disk or any other activity visible.

4. It beeps and pauses for another ~30 seconds. There is NO disk or any other activity visible. The screen is blank.

5. Screen blinks once, then it beeps and pauses for another ~30 seconds. There is NO disk or any other activity visible.

6. Resume continues normally without displaying any errors. Disk resumes activity. Desktop visible within seconds.
Post atomic.
Cleaning up...

Here is the logs: <link removed>

And my config files: <link removed>

Hibernate debug log: <link removed>

This is obviously not a question or reading image from the disk. The issue is elsewhere. It is the same if I unplug all external USB devices. I tried playing around with various options in /etc/hibernate/common.conf and tuxonice.conf but it didn't change anything...

I am on my wits' end.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please do not link to external sites. Especially the likes of pastebin. You can post representative samples of your files in your post (preferred), or upload the files here. Thanks.

Last edited by Scott; 11-10-2012 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: Removed links

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

System not resuming from stanby mode ---Solaris10

Dear Frnds, I have a weird issue with solaris 10. We bought a new Sun Ultra45 workstation and i installed solaris 10 in that. The problem is when it goes to standby mode i am not able to resume the system.The only thing i can do is to manually reboot and start working. The problem occurs... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram.s
0 Replies

2. Solaris

solaris 10 not resuming from power save mode.

Dear Frnz, i have a ultra 45 with solaris 10 installed. I face a weird issue in that. once the machine goes to power save mode i am not able to bring the machine back by hitting the keys in keyboard or moving the mouse. I am able to rsh the machine from another machine. To bring the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sriram.s
1 Replies

3. AIX

how would you know your server was rebooted 3 times or 5 times

Is there such location or command to know how many times did you reboot your server in that particular day?in AIX. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executes many times

The code prints many times, "1st loop" and "2nd loop". How can I come out the if the condition is matched. Match should be only once and it should come out of the loop if the match is found time=$(date +"%H:%M:%S") echo $time while : do if then echo "1st loop" fi if then... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy1028
5 Replies

5. Programming

Problem with implementing the times() function in C (struct tms times return zero/negative values)

Hello, i'm trying to implement the times() function and i'm programming in C. I'm using the "struct tms" structure which consists of the fields: The tms_utime structure member is the CPU time charged for the execution of user instructions of the calling process. The tms_stime structure... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: g_p
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

To get difference between 2 times.

Can anyone help me to write a script to get diffrence between 2 times. (platform- solaris) i.e., Diffence shoud be displayed in tems of hours. (Approximately) for eg: file1 = 05-Apr-2012 13:42:32 file2 = 04-Apr-2012 12:42:41 O/P is like : diff = 25 Hrs (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomasraj87
2 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Welcome in these 1337 times

Have you noticed that the Unix time right now starts with the combination "1337"? 1337 times indeed. ;-)) bakunin (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pausing and resuming process on laptop

Hi, I'm wondering if it's possible to pause a process I'm running in the background, close my laptop (I need to leave the office), and continue the process (when I get home). I've been running a process for a really long time and I don't want to have to start it over. Thanks in advance! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShiGua
9 Replies

9. Red Hat

Response Times

Hello all. Let me qualify my question by saying that I am struggling with how to ask the question I am semi green but have no issue reading up if pointed in the right direction. Please be gentle! A RHEL server 6.2. Hosts a statistical application that has some web apps and batch programming... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsheikh01
0 Replies
HIBERNATE(8)															      HIBERNATE(8)

NAME
hibernate - save your computer's state to disk, and then switch it off SYNOPSIS
hibernate [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
The hibernate script (or "suspend script") is used to invoke the Linux kernel's Hibernation functionality. When you hibernate your machine, the contents of your computer's memory will be saved to disc, and your computer will switch off. When you switch it back on again, it will resume exactly as it was when you hibernated. This script is designed for TuxOnIce, which is not yet included in the main kernel tree and must be downloaded from the TuxOnIce web site at http://www.tuxonice.net/, but can also utilise the vanilla kernel interfaces for swsusp or pmdisk (through /proc/acpi/sleep or /sys/power/state). Instructions on setting up the kernel can also be found on that web site. The hibernate script takes care of the user-space side of the suspend, including unloading and reloading drivers which don't suspend prop- erly, setting the system clock after resuming, taking down and bringing up network interfaces and various other hacks that may be required on some hardware. By default, all it does is restore the system clock after suspending; see hibernate.conf(5) for information on configur- ing the rest of its functionality. If the hibernate script is invoked with a name of the form hibernate-foo then it will use the configuration file /etc/hibernate/foo.conf instead of the default. The hibernate script accepts the following command-line options: OPTIONS
-h, --help Shows this help screen. --version Shows the Hibernate Script version. -f, --force Ignore errors and suspend anyway. -k, --kill Kill processes if needed, in order to suspend. -v<n>, --verbosity=<n> Change verbosity level (0 = errors only, 3 = verbose, 4 = debug) -F<file>, --config-file=<file> Use the given configuration file instead of the default () --dry-run Don't actually do anything. -g, --restore-grub Restores the grub menu to normal (use if a resume was not completed successfully) and exits the script. A suspend is not performed. --lock-console-as <username> Uses vlock to lock the entire system after resuming, requirng you to enter the password for the given user to unlock it. This overrides any username given in the configuration file. (Requires vlock) -n, --no-suspend Disables actually suspending the system. This is useful for testing the hibernate script itself. -r[0|1], --reboot[=<0|1>] (requires UseTuxOnIce on) If 0 is specified, disables rebooting after writing the image, regardless of the Reboot option in the configuration file. If 1 or omitted, will force a reboot after writing the image. --bug-report (requires UseTuxOnIce on) Gathers a bunch of information about your machine and writes it to standard output. Please attach this information along with any bug reports to the TuxOnIce mailing list. EXIT CODES
The exit codes returned by the hibernate script are currently as follows: 0 Hibernation was completed successfully. 2 Hibernation was aborted due to errors from some part of the script. (eg, modules not unloading, devices or filesystems in use). 3 Hibernate script was aborted by user with Ctrl+C. (This does not mean the suspend was aborted by a user by pressing Escape). 4 Hibernation was aborted by a kernel problem (hibernate.log and dmesg should indicate why), or the user aborted the suspend with the Escape key. FILES
/etc/hibernate/hibernate.conf Contains options which influence the hibernate script's behaviour. See hibernate.conf(5) for more information. /etc/hibernate/scriptlets.d/ /usr/share/hibernate/scriptlets.d/ /usr/local/share/hibernate/scriptlets.d/ These directories contains "scriptlets" that provide functionality when suspending and resuming. See the SCRIPTLET-API file included with the distribution (which can be found in /usr/share/doc/hibernate on Debian systems) for information on how these work. BUGS
Probably lots! If you have problems with the hibernate script or TuxOnIce, the best place to ask is on the mailing list - tuxonice-users@lists.tuxon- ice.net. You will need to subscribe to post. See http://www.tuxonice.net/lists for details. If the suspend process itself crashes (while "Writing caches", "Reading caches", or "Copying original kernel back", etc), then the problem lies with TuxOnIce itself. See the FAQ at http://www.tuxonice.net/ for help on debugging. AUTHOR
This script was written by Bernard Blackham, with contributions from: o Carsten Rietzschel (modules, bootsplash and grub scriptlets. many ideas and bugfixes) o Cameron Patrick (many bugfixes and ideas, man page and Debian packaging) SEE ALSO
hibernate.conf(5) Linux Hibernation May 2012 HIBERNATE(8)