Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help using head cmd, print 20 then the next 20 etc Post 302729305 by onfirealot on Friday 9th of November 2012 12:12:36 PM
Old 11-09-2012
Basically, I had 400 and odd lines of short text. I wanted to split these lines into multiple files that each contained 20 unique lines that were take sequentially from the original file.

Split has done this for me easily, just wasn't aware of it.

Don't know if I can mark this thread as solved or not.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help.. I am in way over my head !!!!

my boss has done it again I have been sent to fix a unix issue and I ma hoping you can help three issues 1st. I have a printer that when you try to print to it the print job comes out on a diffrent printer. If I take the printer ( dot matrix thourgh a serail connection) to a diffrent local the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oberon42
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

man <cmd> >> cmd.txt

I've noticed most of my postings here are because of syntax errors. So I want to begin compiling a large txt file that contains all the "man <cmd>" of the commands I most have problems with. I ran a "man nawk >> nawk.txt" but it included a header/footer on each "page". Anyone know how I'd be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

head command

Hi All, How can the head command be used to extract only a particular line. By default head -n filename displays the first n lines. I want only the nth line. I couldn't get it from forum search. Thanks, Sumesh (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumesh.abraham
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

head usage

$ct=1 head -n $ct file. When i used like this, i got an error , Bad usage of head Cant we use variables in place of number in HEAD. In my requirement for every iteration i should increase the number in Head and tail the last one. HOw can i achieve this (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

head followed by variable??

I know that the common use of head is for example head -3 etc.Is there any possibility that,if i have a variable that equals to an integer(i=5),i can write head -i?? If not,what syntax or commands should i write down in order to have the same result? //maybe something lik head -"$variable" ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashuser2
2 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Help with head -q option on Mac OS X

I am trying to run a csh script (this is usually done on my Linux machine but it died, so I had to resort to a Mac :eek:) and I received the following error message: head: illegal option --q My script takes multiple files as the input, concatenates them and produces a single file as the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac_novice
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find and head -1

i have lots of files in /law/prod and /law/dev, such as AP20PD, AP20WS, AP20.scr, AP20.rpt if i am in /law DIR find . -name AP20PD, found in /law/prod and /law/dev i want to head -1 AP20PD from both location and >> /tmp/test.log can i use find and head in one line ? ----------... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix cmd prompt how to get old cmd run?

Hi, I am using SunOS I want to serch my previous command from unix prompt (like on AIX we can search by ESC -k) how to get in SunOs urgent help require. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl open(CMD, "cmd |"); buffering problem..

Hello, There's a third-party application's command that shows the application's status like "tail -f verybusy.log". When use the command, the output comes every 1-sec. but when it goes in a script below the output comes every 8-sec...What is the problem and how can I fix it? open(CMD,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shawn, Lee
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cmd="grep 'Name:' |awk -F' ' '{print $2}'"

Hi Is it possible to get the below code working.? cmd="grep 'Name:' |awk -F' ' '{print $2}'|xargs -i basename {}" echo $cmd ( rman target / <<EOF1 LIST COPY ; exit EOF1 ) | `$cmd` in nutshell I want to be able to preset cmd as depending on script flow it can be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zam
2 Replies
SPLIT(1)						      General Commands Manual							  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split - split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [ option ... ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Split reads file (standard input by default) and writes it in pieces of 1000 lines per output file. The names of the output files are xaa, xab, and so on to xzz. The options are -n n Split into n-line pieces. -l n Synonym for -n n, a nod to Unix's syntax. -e expression File divisions occur at each line that matches a regular expression; see regexp(7). Multiple -e options may appear. If a subex- pression of expression is contained in parentheses (...), the output file name is the portion of the line which matches the subex- pression. -f stem Use stem instead of x in output file names. -s suffix Append suffix to names identified under -e. -x Exclude the matched input line from the output file. -i Ignore case in option -e; force output file names (excluding the suffix) to lower case. SOURCE
/src/cmd/split.c SEE ALSO
sed(1), awk(1), grep(1), regexp(7) SPLIT(1)