Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help using head cmd, print 20 then the next 20 etc Post 302729301 by joeyg on Friday 9th of November 2012 12:07:08 PM
Old 11-09-2012
Unsure fo your request

The 'more' command displays a screenful of data. And there are options to control how much data, or how many lines.
The 'head' command will display the first x number of lines. There are options to start at a particular line number.

You need to proved more info and samples.
This User Gave Thanks to joeyg For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help.. I am in way over my head !!!!

my boss has done it again I have been sent to fix a unix issue and I ma hoping you can help three issues 1st. I have a printer that when you try to print to it the print job comes out on a diffrent printer. If I take the printer ( dot matrix thourgh a serail connection) to a diffrent local the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oberon42
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

man <cmd> >> cmd.txt

I've noticed most of my postings here are because of syntax errors. So I want to begin compiling a large txt file that contains all the "man <cmd>" of the commands I most have problems with. I ran a "man nawk >> nawk.txt" but it included a header/footer on each "page". Anyone know how I'd be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

head command

Hi All, How can the head command be used to extract only a particular line. By default head -n filename displays the first n lines. I want only the nth line. I couldn't get it from forum search. Thanks, Sumesh (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumesh.abraham
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

head usage

$ct=1 head -n $ct file. When i used like this, i got an error , Bad usage of head Cant we use variables in place of number in HEAD. In my requirement for every iteration i should increase the number in Head and tail the last one. HOw can i achieve this (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

head followed by variable??

I know that the common use of head is for example head -3 etc.Is there any possibility that,if i have a variable that equals to an integer(i=5),i can write head -i?? If not,what syntax or commands should i write down in order to have the same result? //maybe something lik head -"$variable" ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashuser2
2 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Help with head -q option on Mac OS X

I am trying to run a csh script (this is usually done on my Linux machine but it died, so I had to resort to a Mac :eek:) and I received the following error message: head: illegal option --q My script takes multiple files as the input, concatenates them and produces a single file as the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac_novice
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find and head -1

i have lots of files in /law/prod and /law/dev, such as AP20PD, AP20WS, AP20.scr, AP20.rpt if i am in /law DIR find . -name AP20PD, found in /law/prod and /law/dev i want to head -1 AP20PD from both location and >> /tmp/test.log can i use find and head in one line ? ----------... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix cmd prompt how to get old cmd run?

Hi, I am using SunOS I want to serch my previous command from unix prompt (like on AIX we can search by ESC -k) how to get in SunOs urgent help require. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl open(CMD, "cmd |"); buffering problem..

Hello, There's a third-party application's command that shows the application's status like "tail -f verybusy.log". When use the command, the output comes every 1-sec. but when it goes in a script below the output comes every 8-sec...What is the problem and how can I fix it? open(CMD,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shawn, Lee
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cmd="grep 'Name:' |awk -F' ' '{print $2}'"

Hi Is it possible to get the below code working.? cmd="grep 'Name:' |awk -F' ' '{print $2}'|xargs -i basename {}" echo $cmd ( rman target / <<EOF1 LIST COPY ; exit EOF1 ) | `$cmd` in nutshell I want to be able to preset cmd as depending on script flow it can be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zam
2 Replies
HEAD(1) 							   User Commands							   HEAD(1)

NAME
head - output the first part of files SYNOPSIS
head [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Print the first 10 lines of each FILE to standard output. With more than one FILE, precede each with a header giving the file name. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --bytes=[-]NUM print the first NUM bytes of each file; with the leading '-', print all but the last NUM bytes of each file -n, --lines=[-]NUM print the first NUM lines instead of the first 10; with the leading '-', print all but the last NUM lines of each file -q, --quiet, --silent never print headers giving file names -v, --verbose always print headers giving file names -z, --zero-terminated line delimiter is NUL, not newline --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit NUM may have a multiplier suffix: b 512, kB 1000, K 1024, MB 1000*1000, M 1024*1024, GB 1000*1000*1000, G 1024*1024*1024, and so on for T, P, E, Z, Y. AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie and Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report head translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
tail(1) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/head> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) head invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 HEAD(1)