Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Simple sed script question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simple sed script question Post 302729279 by KidCactus on Friday 9th of November 2012 11:57:21 AM
Old 11-09-2012
Simple sed script question

Script newbie, so I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here, but how come this simple script does not work?

Code:
#!/bin/bash                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
sed '/$1/,/^$/!d' $2

I make the script executable and run ./script.sh string filename, but nothing happens and I any result at all, even though this works fine in the shell:

Code:
sed '/string/,/^$/!d' filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple sed question

Is there an easier way to do the following: echo "|||||||" | sed 's/||/|0|/g; s/||/|0|/g' which would give the following |0|0|0|0|0|0| If it is not run twice it will not pick up the second occurance of the || and leave it empty as in echo "|||||||" | sed 's/||/|0|/g' which would give... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - simple question

Hello My file looks like that => 12.56 have then 7888778.2566 what 44454.54545 878787.66565 if else 4445.54545455 I want to change all '.' on ',' . I'm trying to do it with sed but I don't know chow to build regular expression to change 454.4466 on 454,4466 ? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotty_123
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple sed question

hi is it possible to cut this two semicolon separated sed commands echo "string2 string3 string1" | sed s'/string1//g;s/string2//g' output: " string3 " to just one sed command without semicolon? thanks in advance funksen (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: funksen
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple for script question

I haven't done any scripting for quite a while and was trying to remember how to do a script with a for loop that uses another command for input straight from the terminal, IE: for num in `cat somefile | awk <whatever>` do echo $num; echo blah; echo blahblah; done; Hopefully something quick... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vryali
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple awk/sed/tr question

I have a file CREATE TABLE DDD_EXT --- 1000 ( val u1 val u1 ); CREATE TABLE dsdasd_EXT --- 1323 ( val u1 val u1 ); CREATE TABLE AAAAAA_EXT --- 1222 ( val u1 val u1 ); CREATE TABLE E_EXT --- 11 ( val u1 val u1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jville
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple sed question

How do I remove parentheses using sed? input (192.168.1.1) output 192.168.1.1 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: streetfighter2
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple sed question.

I have a log output with a format similar to this: a=1, b= 2 c=0, d= 45, e=100 ... and so on. I figure I can just use awk or something to pipe the file to sed, but I'm trying to replace all the values above with 0. I've tried: cat blah | sed 's/=\(.*\),/0/'but that didn't work. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: throw_a_stick
6 Replies

8. AIX

Simple Script question

I am trying to gather a report on service accounts. The report needs the account and the last time they changed there passwords date (Lastupdate). I have been doing this one by one and wondering if there is a simple for loop to gather all the information. your help is greatly appreciated. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: audis$
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple sed question - replace from phrase to end of line

I have the following line an in input file I want to digest with sed and simple replace the bold part with a variable defined in my bash script. I can do this in several sed operations but I know there must be a way to do it in a single sed line. What is the syntax? Line in file:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: graysky
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Simple SED Question

I don't understand this command behavior. echo "abc" |sed 's/a/&_&/' (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vartika18
4 Replies
Locale::Script(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				       Locale::Script(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Script - standard codes for script identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Script; $script = code2script('phnx'); # 'Phoenician' $code = script2code('Phoenician'); # 'Phnx' $code = script2code('Phoenician', LOCALE_CODE_NUMERIC); # 115 @codes = all_script_codes(); @scripts = all_script_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Script" module provides access to standards codes used for identifying scripts, such as those defined in ISO 15924. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 15924 four-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying scripts. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $script = code2script('phnx','alpha'); $script = code2script('phnx',LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha, LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA This is a set of four-letter (capitalized) codes from ISO 15924 such as 'Phnx' for Phoenician. It also includes additions to this set included in the IANA language registry. The Zxxx, Zyyy, and Zzzz codes are not used. This is the default code set. num, LOCALE_SCRIPT_NUMERIC This is a set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 15924 such as 115 for Phoenician. ROUTINES
code2script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) script2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) script_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_script_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_script_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Script::rename_script ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Script::delete_script_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Script::rename_script_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/ Home page for ISO 15924. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Script(3pm)