Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting PS3 select when wrong input given Post 302729045 by elixir_sinari on Friday 9th of November 2012 02:00:47 AM
Old 11-09-2012
Code:
PS3="Select file to view : "
select FILE in `ls`  QUIT
do
   if [ -z "$FILE" ]
   then
    echo INVALID INPUT
   else
    if [ -e "$FILE" ]
    then
     clear
     cat  "$FILE"
    else
     break
    fi
   fi
done

This User Gave Thanks to elixir_sinari For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

select datas from an input file

I have a file containing a list of references and I want to run a script that will make the same action for each reference. The input file changes every hour, it's why I want to use a script that can read in a file, record by record, and run a specific action for the reference readed. Thanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dde
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract/select pattern from input

Hey, examples of the input (text line): /bla/blMOasdn234.adanif24/blabla.rar /bla/blMOasdn234.adanif24/blabla23124.bin /bla/bla/bla/bla/bla/bla.bin and what I need to do is extract/select only the dir path so the output would be: /bla/blMOasdn234.adanif24/ /bla/blMOasdn234.adanif24/... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK command giving wrong input

Hi all, I have a problem with qwk command. i have to check process status and for that i am using command prstat -mvL 1 1 and it gives me the entire output but when i use this command with awk like this: prstat -mvL 1 1 | awk -F" " '{print $1,$15}' to get first and 15th arguments. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to test input variable is a string in a select loop

Okay -- I hope I ask this correctly. I'm working on my little shell script to write vendor names and aliases to files from user input. If a user choose to add to a file, he can do that as well. I'm using a select loop for this function to list all the possible files the user can choose from.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

PS3 and SELECT, is it possible to put a line break?

Hi all, Before I give up on using SELECT for my first attempt at creating a menu driven script, can anyone please advise if it is possible to include a line break for PS3, I've tried putting in a \n and it does not work. Tried for both bash and ksh and both gives the same result. Preference... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is is possible to pass multiple entries in PS3 select ?

PS3="Enter corresponding number and hit enter:" select DIR in `cat mylist` QUIT do if then echo "INVALID INPUT" else if ; then my commands ..... else break fi fi REPLY='' done The above will return something like below : Select from the list of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ningy
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select command help with blank input value

I have a select menu driven script using a case statment and cannot control what happens after a user's input is just <ENTER> or the <SPACEBAR>+<ENTER>. I want it to just hit the "MAIN" function and not redraw the options. I've look everywhere for the answer and am at a loss. Here's the code:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambroze
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to select the rows from the feed file based on the input value provided

Hi Folks, I have the below feed file named abc1.txt in which you can see there is a title and below is the respective values in the rows and it is completely pipe delimited file ,. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: punpun66
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with 'select' for menu input

A lot of my scripting makes use of the 'select' command to create menu driven input. A typical example of how I use it is as: somevar='' PS3='Select one: ' while ]; do select somevar in $(sqlplus -s $dbuser/$dbpw@mydb <<EOF set echo off feedback off verify off... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
7 Replies
APPLE_DUMP(1)							   Netatalk 2.2 						     APPLE_DUMP(1)

NAME
apple_dump - Dump AppleSingle/AppleDouble format file SYNOPSIS
apple_dump [-a] FILE | DIR apple_dump -f FILE apple_dump -d FILE apple_dump -h | -help | --help apple_dump -v | -version | --version DESCRIPTION
apple_dump dump AppleSingle/AppleDouble format file. OPTIONS
-a FILE|DIR This is default. Dump a AppleSingle/AppleDouble file for FILE or DIR automatically. Extrapolate FinderInfo type from absolute path. If FILE is not AppleSingle/AppleDouble format, look for .AppleDouble/FILE and ._FILE. If DIR, look for DIR/.AppleDouble/.Parent and ._DIR. -f FILE Dump FILE. Assume FinderInfo to be FileInfo. -d FILE Dump FILE. Assume FinderInfo to be DirInfo. -h, -help, --help Display the help and exit -v, -version, --version Show version and exit NOTE
There is no way to detect whether FinderInfo is FileInfo or DirInfo. By default, apple_dump examins whether file or directory, a parent directory is .AppleDouble, filename is ._*, filename is .Parent, and so on. If setting option -f or -d, assume FinderInfo and doesn't look for another file. SEE ALSO
ad(1) Netatalk 2.2 02 Sep 2011 APPLE_DUMP(1)