Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Finding the Group Owner Name
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Finding the Group Owner Name Post 302728945 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 8th of November 2012 05:46:35 PM
Old 11-08-2012
Of a file:
Code:
ls -l  t.lis
-rw-r--r--   1 owner  group      6810 Nov  7 13:33 t.lis

This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

owner and group in Linux

I am bit unclear of how Linux was set in the real world, please advise me how it's supposed to be. When I log in as root and do a ls -l, I find: /boot, /, /var, /usr, /tmp, /home, /u01, /u02, /u03 and of of this partition is owned by root and the group also belong to root. Is that the way it's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lapnguyen
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

permission, owner and group

hello I search a script (ksh for Aix 5.3) to save all permissions, groups and owner for all files. Because we work much to change it, and a mystake ......! So i want execute this script to save/ execute permissions for all files. If you have this script, thank you for your help ;) best... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How about finding out all objects by owner

Hi How about finding out all objects 1. owned by a particular owner / 2. or accessed by group id Thanks in advance Regards, HAA (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: HAA
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to copy owner permissions to group

Hi, I need a command or a script to change the group permissions to be the same as the owner permissions for all my files and directories (recursive) any idea ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ynixon
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

automatically change owner and group

We have a program that when a new account is created using the webpage it creates a new directory on the linux filesystem for the account. The problem is the process that creates the directory is as root user, as I want ftpuser to be able to login I have to manually login and chown -R the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting group and owner with mkdir?

Hi, As root, I want to create a directory and set the group and ownership permissions at the same time with one command, instead of making the directory, then going back and doing a chown and chgrp. I don't see an option for this in the mkdir man page. Would I pipe chown and chgrp with my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moose123
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding the group owner for a file

How would I find out who the group openers is of a file? For example: > ls -l myfile -rwxr-xr-x 1 myronp hawks 20125 Oct 20 20:50 myfile How do I return just hawks. I could do this with a series of cut or awk, but is there a more direct way. The ls -g is better, but still... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dad4x
1 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

To identify the group owner

If I have to identify the group owner of an AIX group, what is the command to be used. Example: there is an mqadm group, how do I find the owner of this group? Please help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
6 Replies

9. AIX

Files without owner and group

Dears it is normal that the below binaries stay without any owner and group I have checked it in many servers and the like the below /usr/lpp/bos.net/inst_root/etc/ipsec# ls -lrt total 248 -r-xr-xr-x 1 987 987 13589 Jun 29 2005 default_group -r-xr-xr-x ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thecobra151
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files whose owner or group is numeric

I want to add a condition is my find command to include files/sub-directory whose owner or group is all numeric number. My current find command is find . \( -user root -o -user soham\) -type f -exec ls -l {} \; 2>&1 ---------- Post updated at 10:20 AM ---------- Previous update was at... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Soham
5 Replies
install(1)						      General Commands Manual							install(1)

Name
       install - install binaries

Syntax
       install [-c] [-m mode] [-o owner] [-g group] [-s] binary destination

Description
       The  binary  is moved to destination.  If destination already exists, it is removed before binary is moved.  If the destination is a direc-
       tory then binary is moved into the destination directory with its original file-name.

The command refuses to move a file onto itself.

Options
       -c		   Copies binary to destination.

-g group 	   Specifies a different group from group staff for destination.  The destination is changed to group system; the -g group
			   option  may	be used to specify a different group.  The user must belong to the specified group and be the owner of the
			   file or the superuser.

-m mode		   Specifies a different mode from the standard 755 for destination.

-o owner 	   Specifies a different owner from owner root for destination.  The destination is changed  to  current  owner.   The	-o
			   owner option may be used to specify a different owner, but only the superuser can change the owner.

-s		   Strips the binary after it is installed.

See Also
       chgrp(1), chmod(1), cp(1), mv(1), strip(1), chown(8)

install(1)