Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Help with multiple profiles for lpar Post 302728917 by kah00na on Thursday 8th of November 2012 05:02:25 PM
Old 11-08-2012
Even though I doubt an LPAR would go down suddenly... Really, the only time the profiles are read is when the LPAR is shutdown (shutdown -F) and then restarted from the profile. Reboots (shutdown -Fr) do not re-read the HMC profiles. So in your scenario where your LPAR "goes down suddenly", which profile is read would depend on how the LPAR is started back up. If it reboots on its own, then neither profile is re-read. It stays in the same state that it was when it was originally booted. If you manually start it, then you will be choosing which profile is used.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Terminal Services profiles

Hi guys i'm new in windows 2000 server so please bear with me. My quiestion is how can you remove all the icons and even the start menu using terminal services. I have a windows xp machine that is part of a domain i installed terminal services. I can login no problem but i want to be able to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: josramon
2 Replies

2. Linux

root profiles

DOES ROOT USER HAS A PROFILE? JUST LIKE .PROFILE FOR EVERY USER? i UNDERSTAND AS A SECURITY REASON THAT IS GENERALLY NOT AVAILABLE? DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW IT IS A SECURITY THREAT? IF WE DONT HAVE A .PROFILE FILE, THEN WHENVER WE EXPORT A VARIABLE OR DO SIMILAR STUFF, IN WHICH FILE IS THAT... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chakri.penguin
2 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

script to create multiple instances of a user account across LPAR's

My company has about 40 databases with each database in a different logical partition. Presently the SysAdmin person says it is necessary to create a user profile (login and password for each instance of databases on each LPAR. 1. Is it necessary that the user must be created in each LPAR? 2.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kcampbell
1 Replies

4. AIX

Multiple xlC on the same LPAR

Guys, Is it possible to install two different xlC runtimes on the same LPAR. I have to run DB2 9.5 and an application in the same LPAR. DB2 9.5 requires xlC 9 but the application will only run in xlC 8.0.0.0 How to bit this? :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: firdousamir
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regarding Profiles.

Hello, Actually I donno anything regarding profiles in Linux. Can anyone tell me what are Profiles in Linux and if possible copy links regarding so. Thanks in advance. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashok.g
0 Replies

6. AIX

How to open multiple virtual terminals to a single LPAR

I just wondering if there are ways to open multiple virtual terminal to a single LPAR. After I have use putty to login to the VIOS. I will use mkvt -id <LPAR id> to open console but if my friend want to open 2 second one, it will say, VT already connected. IS there a way to work this around ? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wingcross
1 Replies

7. AIX

LPAR freezes after switching of storage (lpar is mirrored)

Hi all, I have the following configuration 2 ds3524 storage disk systems located over 2 locations 2 P720 server located over 2 locations DS3524 are connected to san switch. Each vio server has 1 fc adapter attached to a san switch. per p720 server 2 virtual io servers. Vio 1 has 1 lun... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: markiemark
2 Replies

8. AIX

How to differentiate between a standalone LPAR and a VIOC (which again is a lpar)?

There can be configurations in IBM Server wherein a standalone partition is created on some supported IBM Server Or A VIOS - VIOC LPARs created. Now in both cases they are lpars. But if I want to differentiate b/w a standalone LPAR vs an VIOC LPAR how can I do..? On a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manish00712
2 Replies
profiles(1)                                                                                                                            profiles(1)

NAME
profiles - print execution profiles for a user SYNOPSIS
profiles [-l] [ user ...] The profiles command prints on standard output the names of the execution profiles that have been assigned to you or to the optionally- specified user or role name. Profiles are a bundling mechanism used to enumerate the commands and authorizations needed to perform a spe- cific function. Along with each listed executable are the process attributes, such as the effective user and group IDs, with which the process runs when started by a privileged command interpreter. The profile shells are pfcsh, pfksh, and pfexec. See the pfexec(1) man page. Profiles can contain other profiles defined in prof_attr(4). Multiple profiles can be combined to construct the appropriate access control. When profiles are assigned, the authorizations are added to the existing set. If the same command appears in multiple profiles, the first occurrence, as determined by the ordering of the profiles, is used for process-attribute settings. For convenience, a wild card can be specified to match all commands. When profiles are interpreted, the profile list is loaded from user_attr(4). If any default profile is defined in /etc/security/policy.conf (see policy.conf(4)), the list of default profiles are added to the list loaded from user_attr(4). Matching entries in prof_attr(4) provide the authorizations list, and matching entries in exec_attr(4) provide the commands list. The following options are supported: -l Lists the commands in each profile followed by the special process attributes such as user and group IDs. Example 1: Sample Output The output of the profiles command has the following form: example% profiles tester01 tester02 tester01 : Audit Management, All Commands tester02 : Device Management, All Commands example% Example 2: Using the list Option example% profiles -l tester01 tester02 tester01 : Audit Management: /usr/sbin/audit euid=root /usr/sbin/auditconfig euid=root egid=sys All Commands: * tester02 : Device Management: /usr/bin/allocate: euid=root /usr/bin/deallocate: euid=root All Commands * example% The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 1 An error occurred. /etc/security/exec_attr /etc/security/prof_attr /etc/user_attr /etc/security/policy.conf See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ auths(1), pfexec(1), roles(1), getprofattr(3SECDB), exec_attr(4), policy.conf(4), prof_attr(4), user_attr(4), attributes(5) 11 Feb 2000 profiles(1)