Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How can I sort by n number is like words? Post 302728747 by castrojc on Thursday 8th of November 2012 10:56:36 AM
Old 11-08-2012
How can I sort by n number is like words?

I want to sort a file with a list of words, in order of most occuring words to least occurring words as well as alphabetically.

ex:
Code:
file1:
cat 3
cat 7
cat 1
dog 3
dog 5
dog 9
dog 1
ape 4
ape 2

I want the outcome to be:
Code:
file1.sorted:
dog 1
dog 3
dog 5
dog 9
cat 1
cat 3
cat 7
ape 2
ape 4

So far all I know how to do is sort it alphabetically:
Code:
sort file1 file1.sorted

any help please?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

how i display number in words

helo i want to implement the following concept in my project write a c/c++ algorithm for : accept a number from the user not greater than 6 digits and display the number in words i.e. if the input from the user is 18265 then the output should be Eighteen Thousand Two Hundred Sixty Five. if the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort words in a line

Hi Im looking for a way, hopefully a one-liner to sort words in a line e.g "these are the words in a line" to "a are in line the these words" Thanks! (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: rebelbuttmunch
15 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find number of words

please help me for this "divide the file into multiple files containing no more than 50 lines each and find the number of words of length less than 5 characters" (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: annapurna konga
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

number of words in delimited string

Hi, I'm looking for one liner code for counting number of words in a delimited string.. I know about wc -w ..but if i give wc -w a.txt,b.txt it won't work with delimited sting as it was looking for files with a.txt and b.txt I know there will be a simple solution..i couldn't... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to sort words and numbers associated with them.

Hi. I have a file containing words and numbers associated with them as follows - c 2 b 5 c 5 b 6 a 10 b 16 c 18 a 19 b 21 c 27 a 28 b 33 a 76 a 115 c 199 c 251 a 567 a 1909 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maq
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

words sort

hello guys i need a command that take the words from multiple files and put them in another file this way: one word needs to appear only once in the destination file with small letters no matter how it appears in source files , the words from destination file needs to be alphabetical ordered and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: G30
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sort word followed by exponential number and numeric number at the same time

Input file: ID_34 2E-69 2324 ID_1 0E0 3254 ID_1 0E0 5434 ID_5 0E0 436 ID_1 1E-14 2524 ID_1 5E-52 46437 ID_3 65E-20 45467 ID_1 0E0 6578 ... Desired output file: ID_1 0E0 6578 ID_1 0E0 5434 ID_1 0E0 3254 ID_1 5E-52 46437 ID_1 1E-14 2524 ID_3 65E-20 45467 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpp_beginner
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort lines according words?

Hello I greped some lines from an xml file and generated a new file. but some entries are missing my table is unsorted. e.g. NAME="Adel" ADDRESS="Donaustr." NUMBER="2" POSTCODE="33333" NAME="Adel" ADDRESS="Donaustr." NUMBER="2" POSTCODE="33333" NAME="Adel" NUMBER="2" POSTCODE="33333"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: witchblade
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How count the number of two words associated with the two words occurring in the file?

Hi , I need to count the number of errors associated with the two words occurring in the file. It's about counting the occurrences of the word "error" for where is the word "index.js". As such the command should look like. Please kindly help. I was trying: grep "error" log.txt | wc -l (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jmarx
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sort words based on word count on each line

Hi Folks :) I have a .txt file with thousands of words. I'm trying to sort the lines in order based on number of words per line. Example from: word word word word word word word word word word word word word word word word to desired output: word (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: martinsmith
2 Replies
GAELIC(5)						     Linux Programmers Manual							 GAELIC(5)

NAME
gaelic - a list of Scots Gaelic words DESCRIPTION
/usr/share/dict/gaelic is an ASCII file which contains an alphabetic list of words, one per line. FILES
/etc/dictionaries-common/words is a symbolic link to a /usr/share/dict/<language> file. /usr/share/dict/words is a symbolic link to /etc/dictionaries-common/words, and is the name by which other software should refer to the system word list. See select-default- wordlist(8) for more information. The directory /usr/share/dict can contain word lists for many languages, with name of the language in English, e.g., /usr/share/dict/french and /usr/share/dict/danish contain respectively lists of French and Danish words if they exist. Such lists should be coded using the ISO 8859-1 character set encoding. SEE ALSO
ispell(1), select-default-wordlist(8), and the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard. HISTORY
The words lists are not specific, and may be generated from any number of sources. The system word list used to be /usr/dict/words. For compatibility, software should check that location if /usr/share/dict/words does not exist. AUTHOR
Alastair McKinstry <mckinstry@computer.org> Linux 20 July 2002 GAELIC(5)