Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions How to read user keyboard input inside the case? Post 302728477 by femchi on Thursday 8th of November 2012 02:13:36 AM
Old 11-08-2012
how should I apply this part to the script?

The “Delete files or directories” selection should prompt for a list of files or directories to be deleted. The script asks user for confirmation before deleting a file or a whole directory. The script must perform reasonable argument validation.

I tried to read the list of files and directories in a string but it is pretty hard to split the string based on space and put them in an array and then check them one by one and delete them. Also I was thinking to run a while loop to ask user to enter the name of file and then delete it and again repeat the job but it is not a nice way.
would you give me some clue?

Code:
#!/bin/sh
clear
	echo "\t `date "+%d/%m/%Y"`"
	echo "\t Hostname Machine: `hostname`"
	echo "\t user: `whoami` "
	echo "\t M A I N - M E N U"
	echo "\t 1.Copey Directory Tree"
	echo "\t 2.Delete Files or Directories"
	echo "\t 3.Output Information"
while true ; do
	echo -n "\t Please enter an option [ 1 - 4 ] : "
	read opt

case "$opt" in
		1) echo "Enter the source of the files and destination for copying "
                   read src dest
                if [ -n "$src" -a -n "$dest" ]
		then
			if [ -d "$src" -o -f "$src" -a -d "$dest" ]
			then
			cp -r "$src" "$dest"
			else
			echo "Enter the valid file or directory addresses" 
			fi
		else
		echo "please enter valid address as a source and destination to copy the files "
			fi ;;
		2) echo "enter the name of files want to be deleted"
		read files
		for f in "$files"
		do
		echo "$f\n"
		done  
		 ;;

3) echo "\t the number of possible users on the system: `cat /etc/passwd |wc -l`"
		   echo "\t the number of current user on the system : `who | wc -l`"
		   echo "\t the number of processes running: `ps -e | wc -l`"
			 ;;

*) exit ;; 
	esac
done

---------- Post updated at 02:13 AM ---------- Previous update was at 12:50 AM ----------

Code:
2) echo "enter the name of files want to be deleted"
		read a

for CHARACTER in $a ; do
	  if [ -f $CHARACTER -o -d $CHARACTER ] ; then
		rm -ir $CHARACTER
	else
	echo "$CHARACTER is not a valid file or directory"
	fi
	done
		 ;;

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

input inside while read loop

Hi all Does anyone have a script that will allow me to stop inside a while read loop. I want to pause the loop until a enter is pressed. e.g. While read line do echo something if LINECOUNT > 40 then read ENTER?"PRESS ENTER TO CONT..." ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhansrod
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read command (input) inside the while loop

Hi, 'read' command is not working inside the while loop, How can I solve this? Rgds, Sharif. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharif
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Testing for correct user input from keyboard

What script can I use to catch errors in a shell script if user inputs alpha numeric characters instead on integers from the keyboard? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pauline mugisha
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To ignore user input case.

hi, i will like to know whether awk command can ignore case? i written a script that will take in user input and search for data on the 1st field from a text file. echo -n "Title:" read title awk -F":" '$1~/'"$title"'/{print $0}' Filename read ans return ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cheranime
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Bash piped while-read and a read user input at the same time

Hi I am new to writing script and want to use a Bash Piped while-read and read from user input. if something happens on server.log then do while loop or if something happend on user input then do while loop. Pseudocode something like: tail -n 3 -f server.log | while read serverline || read... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: MyMorris
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read input from Keyboard, do not proceed if no input

Hi, I am working on a script, which requests users to enter input. Ex: read -p "Please enter your email id:" email I don't want users skipping this entry, this has to be mandatory.I dont want to proceed without input. I can do a check if variable $email is empty and proceed if not.But, i... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aravindadla
7 Replies

7. Programming

Keyboard User Input in awk language ?

Hi, does someone know how to make a keyboard data input in the AWK programming language ? Regards Zabo (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zabo
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to read user input inside a loop

Hi, This query is a part of a much more lengthy script. I wish to look for all the files in a folder named "data" which in this case has two files i.e. plan.war and agent.properties. For all the files found under data I wish to ask the user as to where they wish copy the files to. Below,... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
14 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Case inside While read File

Hi Experts, Need your guidance for case statement. I tried many way but no success yet.Now my existing code is doing something like below. Each Line of the input file contains one test case.#!/bin/bash FILE=$1 while read LINE; do do COMMAND done < $FILE Now I want to modify the code... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradyumnajpn10
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash read input in case statement not working as expected

I'm having an issue with bash read input when using a case statement. The script halts and doesn't read the input on the first loop. if I hit enter then the scripts starts to respond as expected. Need some help here. defaultans=8hrs read -e -i $defaultans -p "${bldwht}How long would you like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodson2
5 Replies
LOCALE_GET_DISPLAY_SCRIPT(3)						 1					      LOCALE_GET_DISPLAY_SCRIPT(3)

Locale::getDisplayScript - Returns an appropriately localized display name for script of the input locale

Object oriented style

SYNOPSIS
publicstatic string Locale::getDisplayScript (string $locale, [string $in_locale]) DESCRIPTION
Procedural style string locale_get_display_script (string $locale, [string $in_locale]) Returns an appropriately localized display name for script of the input locale. If is NULL then the default locale is used. PARAMETERS
o $locale - The locale to return a display script for o $in_locale - Optional format locale to use to display the script name RETURN VALUES
Display name of the script for the $locale in the format appropriate for $in_locale. EXAMPLES
Example #1 locale_get_display_script(3) example <?php echo locale_get_display_script('sl-Latn-IT-nedis', 'en'); echo "; "; echo locale_get_display_script('sl-Latn-IT-nedis', 'fr'); echo "; "; echo locale_get_display_script('sl-Latn-IT-nedis', 'de'); ?> Example #2 OO example <?php echo Locale::getDisplayScript('sl-Latn-IT-nedis', 'en'); echo "; "; echo Locale::getDisplayScript('sl-Latn-IT-nedis', 'fr'); echo "; "; echo Locale::getDisplayScript('sl-Latn-IT-nedis', 'de'); ?> The above example will output: Latin; latin; Lateinisch SEE ALSO
locale_get_display_name(3), locale_get_display_language(3), locale_get_display_region(3), locale_get_display_variant(3). PHP Documentation Group LOCALE_GET_DISPLAY_SCRIPT(3)