Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions How to read user keyboard input inside the case? Post 302728375 by Yoda on Wednesday 7th of November 2012 05:46:39 PM
Old 11-07-2012
I tried with following modification and able to read user input and print them:-

Code:
#!/bin/sh
clear
echo "\t `date "+%d/%m/%Y"`"
echo "\t Hostname Machine: `hostname`"
echo "\t user: `whoami` "
echo "\t M A I N - M E N U"
echo "\t 1.Copey Directory Tree"
echo "\t 2.Delete Files or Directories"
echo "\t 3.Output Information"

while true ; do
        echo -n "\t Please enter an option [ 1 - 4 ] : "
        read opt

case "$opt" in
                1) echo "Enter the source and destination for copying files"
                   read src
                   read dest
                   echo "$src"
                   echo "$dest"
                   ;;
                2)  ;;
                3) echo "\t the number of possible users on the system: `cat /etc/passwd |wc -l` \n\t the number of current user on the system : `who | wc -l`\n\t the number of processes running: `ps -e | wc -l`"  ;;
                *) exit ;;
        esac
done

This User Gave Thanks to Yoda For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

input inside while read loop

Hi all Does anyone have a script that will allow me to stop inside a while read loop. I want to pause the loop until a enter is pressed. e.g. While read line do echo something if LINECOUNT > 40 then read ENTER?"PRESS ENTER TO CONT..." ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhansrod
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read command (input) inside the while loop

Hi, 'read' command is not working inside the while loop, How can I solve this? Rgds, Sharif. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharif
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Testing for correct user input from keyboard

What script can I use to catch errors in a shell script if user inputs alpha numeric characters instead on integers from the keyboard? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pauline mugisha
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To ignore user input case.

hi, i will like to know whether awk command can ignore case? i written a script that will take in user input and search for data on the 1st field from a text file. echo -n "Title:" read title awk -F":" '$1~/'"$title"'/{print $0}' Filename read ans return ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cheranime
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Bash piped while-read and a read user input at the same time

Hi I am new to writing script and want to use a Bash Piped while-read and read from user input. if something happens on server.log then do while loop or if something happend on user input then do while loop. Pseudocode something like: tail -n 3 -f server.log | while read serverline || read... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: MyMorris
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read input from Keyboard, do not proceed if no input

Hi, I am working on a script, which requests users to enter input. Ex: read -p "Please enter your email id:" email I don't want users skipping this entry, this has to be mandatory.I dont want to proceed without input. I can do a check if variable $email is empty and proceed if not.But, i... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aravindadla
7 Replies

7. Programming

Keyboard User Input in awk language ?

Hi, does someone know how to make a keyboard data input in the AWK programming language ? Regards Zabo (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zabo
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to read user input inside a loop

Hi, This query is a part of a much more lengthy script. I wish to look for all the files in a folder named "data" which in this case has two files i.e. plan.war and agent.properties. For all the files found under data I wish to ask the user as to where they wish copy the files to. Below,... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
14 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Case inside While read File

Hi Experts, Need your guidance for case statement. I tried many way but no success yet.Now my existing code is doing something like below. Each Line of the input file contains one test case.#!/bin/bash FILE=$1 while read LINE; do do COMMAND done < $FILE Now I want to modify the code... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradyumnajpn10
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash read input in case statement not working as expected

I'm having an issue with bash read input when using a case statement. The script halts and doesn't read the input on the first loop. if I hit enter then the scripts starts to respond as expected. Need some help here. defaultans=8hrs read -e -i $defaultans -p "${bldwht}How long would you like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodson2
5 Replies
MSSQL_NUM_FIELDS(3)													       MSSQL_NUM_FIELDS(3)

mssql_num_fields - Gets the number of fields in result

SYNOPSIS
int mssql_num_fields (resource $result) DESCRIPTION
mssql_num_fields(3) returns the number of fields in a result set. PARAMETERS
o $result - The result resource that is being evaluated. This result comes from a call to mssql_query(3). RETURN VALUES
Returns the number of fields, as an integer. EXAMPLES
Example #1 mssql_num_fields(3) example <?php // Connect to MSSQL and select the database $link = mssql_connect('KALLESPCSQLEXPRESS', 'sa', 'phpfi'); mssql_select_db('php', $link); // Select some data from our database $data = mssql_query('SELECT [name], [age] FROM [php].[dbo].[persons]'); // Construct a table echo '<table border="1">'; $header = false; // Iterate through returned results while ($row = mssql_fetch_array($data)) { // Build the table header if (!$header) { echo '<thead>'; echo '<tr>'; for ($i = 1; ($i + 1) <= mssql_num_fields($data); ++$i) { echo '<td>' . ucfirst($row[$i]) . '</td>'; } echo '</tr>'; echo '</thead>'; echo '<tbody>'; $header = true; } // Build the row echo '<tr>'; foreach($row as $value) { echo '<td>' . $value . '</td>'; } echo '</tr>'; } // Close table echo '</tbody>'; echo '</table>'; // Clean up mssql_free_result($data); mssql_close($link); ?> SEE ALSO
mssql_query(3), mssql_fetch_field(3), mssql_num_rows(3). PHP Documentation Group MSSQL_NUM_FIELDS(3)