Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Why use strong passwords?
Special Forums Cybersecurity Why use strong passwords? Post 302728121 by jgt on Wednesday 7th of November 2012 11:03:29 AM
Old 11-07-2012
I found this article; it has changed some of my opinions, and has a good explanation of password cracking techniques. GeodSoft How-To: Cracking Passwords Techniques
This User Gave Thanks to jgt For This Post:

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strong quotes and spaces

We ran into a problem because of a shop that uses Windows and UNIX. The file names that Windows uses have spaces in them. When they get moved to the unix system they still have spaces. This produces a problem in our script that moves them again from one unix system to another. I've made up a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimcampanella
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When did UNIX start using encrypted passwords, and not displaying passwords when you type them in?

I've been using various versions of UNIX and Linux since 1993, and I've never run across one that showed your password as you type it in when you log in, or one that stored passwords in plain text rather than encrypted. I'm writing a script for work for a security audit, and two of the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
5 Replies
disco(1)						      General Commands Manual							  disco(1)

NAME
disco - Mono's Web Service Discovery Tool SYNOPSIS
disco [options] url DESCRIPTION
disco is a tool for discovering web services and for retireving the documents that describe those services. url is the location of a DISCO document, which includes a list of WSDL documents, XML schemas and references to other DISCO documents. disco downloads the DISCO document and all referenced documents (unless the -nosave option is specified), and saves them to disk. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -nologo Supress the startup logo. -nosave Do not save the discovered documents to disk. The default is to save the documents. -o:directory , -out:directory The directory where to save the discovered documents. By default, documents are saved in the current directory. -u:username , -user:username The user name to use when connecting to the server. -p:password , -password:password The password to use when connecting to the server. -d:domain , -domain:domain The domain to use when connecting to the server. -proxy:url The url of the proxy server to use for http requests. -proxyusername:username The user name to use when connecting to the proxy. -proxypassword:password The password to use when connecting to the proxy. -proxydomain:domain The domain to use when connecting to the proxy. AUTHORS
Lluis Sanchez Gual (lluis@ximian.com) LICENSE
disco is released under the terms of the GNU GPL. SEE ALSO
wsdl(1), soapsuds(1), mono(1), mcs(1) disco(1)