Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to change umask in shell scripting? Post 302727971 by Skrynesaver on Wednesday 7th of November 2012 07:04:38 AM
Old 11-07-2012
I meant that you should execute the commands in the script in the current shell, like so:
Code:
user@busybox ~/$ umask
user@busybox ~/$ cat test.sh
#!/bin/bash

umask 033
user@busybox ~/$ . test.sh
user@busybox ~/$ umask

Calling the script spawns a new shell process which ceases to exist when the script exits. You need to execute the commands in the context of the current shell, hence the use of dot opperator ".".

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting.

please give the difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting change of text in another file

Hello, I am pretty new to UNIX/bash scripting, so this question may seem obvious. My experience is simply stringing commands together in a script, maybe doing some if/then testing and such, so I haven't gotten into anything too heavy... I have a shell script that I use as a template to create... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vwgtiturbo
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call Shell scripting from Perl Scripting.

Hi How to call a shell scripting through a Perl scripting? Actually I need some value from Shell scripting and passes in the Perl scripting. So how can i do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change Case of a string(BASH Scripting)?

Is there any inbuilt functionality in Unix shell script so that i can able to convert lower case string input to an upper case? I dont want to use high level languages like java,python or perl for doing the job. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
2 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Shell scripting vs Perl scripting

Hi all, I would like to start developping some good scripting skills. Do you think it would be best to start with shell scripting or Perl? I already got a fundation, really basics, in perl. but I am wondering what would be best to be good at first. Can you please help me determine which one to... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
14 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Shell Scripting vs Perl scripting

Gents, I have been working in a Solaris/Unix environment for about 9 months. I took some linux classses online before getting the job. But, I am not very good at scripting. I want to learn how to script. Do you think that I should start with Shell scripting or Perl? I wanted to continue with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
2 Replies

7. Web Development

Perl scripting or shell scripting?

i am going to study any one of the scripting languages mentioned above(shell 0r perl scripting) . Which is having more scope for a fresher? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to change XML values with shell scripting for Network Simulation

Hello, I don't have experience in this scripting and I need some help to read a value from an XML file and change it with a random number to use in simulator for different network scenarios. </Description><sim_comm_rounds>35</sim_comm_rounds><num_clusters>1</num_clusters><Clocking> I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: erhanasd
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change umask for apache user

Hi, I need to change the umask for apache user so that the other group memebers have write access to the files. The apache user has no login shell running under centos 5.6. Currently apache user have 022 umask and i need to change to 002 so that other group memeber can have write access to that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phanidhar6039
1 Replies
PAM_UMASK(8)							 Linux-PAM Manual						      PAM_UMASK(8)

NAME
pam_umask - PAM module to set the file mode creation mask SYNOPSIS
pam_umask.so [debug] [silent] [usergroups] [umask=mask] DESCRIPTION
pam_umask is a PAM module to set the file mode creation mask of the current environment. The umask affects the default permissions assigned to newly created files. The PAM module tries to get the umask value from the following places in the following order: o umask= argument o umask= entry in the user's GECOS field o UMASK= entry from /etc/default/login o UMASK entry from /etc/login.defs The GECOS field is split on comma ',' characters. The module also in addition to the umask= entry recognizes pri= entry, which sets the nice priority value for the session, and ulimit= entry, which sets the maximum size of files the processes in the session can create. OPTIONS
debug Print debug information. silent Don't print informative messages. usergroups If the user is not root and the username is the same as primary group name, the umask group bits are set to be the same as owner bits (examples: 022 -> 002, 077 -> 007). umask=mask Sets the calling process's file mode creation mask (umask) to mask & 0777. The value is interpreted as Octal. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
Only the session type is provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_SUCCESS The new umask was set successfully. PAM_SERVICE_ERR No username was given. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN User not known. EXAMPLES
Add the following line to /etc/pam.d/login to set the user specific umask at login: session optional pam_umask.so umask=0022 SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(8) AUTHOR
pam_umask was written by Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@thkukuk.de>. Linux-PAM Manual 09/19/2013 PAM_UMASK(8)