Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Finding the directories with same permission and then apply some default UNIX commands Post 302727749 by ctsgnb on Tuesday 6th of November 2012 08:43:57 PM
Old 11-06-2012
Why to reinvent the wheel ?

Code:
man find

see the -perm option

if it is related to translation to mode octal value you may also be interested in the following :
Code:
conv_perm(){ 
binary1=`echo "$1"|cut -c4,7,10|tr xstST- 011110`
binary2=`echo "$1"|cut -c2-10|tr rwsxtST- 11111000` 
octal=`echo "obase=8;ibase=2;${binary1}${binary2}"|bc`
echo "$octal" 
}  
$ ls -l dbs* | awk '{print$1,$9}' 
-rwxr-xr-x dbshut 
-rwsr-s--- dbsnmp 
-rwxr-xr-x dbsnmp0 
-rwxr-xr-x dbsnmpj 
-rw-r--r-- dbsnmpj0 
-rwsr-s--- dbsnmp.sav 
-rwxr-xr-x dbsnmpwd 
-rwxr-xr-x dbstart 
$ ls -l dbs* | while read a b b b b b b b b 
> do 
> printf "%4d %s\n" $(conv_perm $a) $b 
> done  
 755 dbshut 
6750 dbsnmp  
 755 dbsnmp0  
 755 dbsnmpj  
 644 dbsnmpj0 
6750 dbsnmp.sav  
 755 dbsnmpwd  
 755 dbstart 
$

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding directories in UNIX

I am accessing a UNIX server via FTP. I want to retieve a file in a directory. What is the UNIX command that I need to view and retrieve files from a directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yodaddy
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for parsing directories one level and finding directories older than n days

Hello all, Here's the deal...I have one directory with many subdirs and files. What I want to find out is who is keeping old files and directories...say files and dirs that they didn't use since a number of n days, only one level under the initial dir. Output to a file. A script for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejianu
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Re-apply the file permission

Hi, I having an issue with file permission. To fix it I need to read the file's existing permission and re-apply the same permission to the file. This has to be done for every single file under a mount point. I'm novice in scripting. Help me with this in shell scripting. # ls -l /dev/null... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: agent001
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Do UNIX Permission apply to sub directories?

Hi Guys, Can you tell me if unix permissions apply to sub dirs? Dir is /home/ops/batch/files/all /home is rwxrwxrwx ops is rwxrwxrwx batch is rwxr-wr-w files is rwxrwxrwx all is rwxrwxrwx Having problems writing to all (does the userid nee to be the batch owner... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Grueben
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Apply file permission

Hi All, I would like to read the permission from a file and wanted to apply the same permission to another file. say for example, f1 755 first...i have to read the permission type (which is differ for each file) and need to apply the same for f2 a1 666 i have to get this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthi_mrkg
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed fails to apply substitute commands

I've made a shell script for archiving HTML pages, i.e. making them work offline plus add some features. Here is it: #!/bin/sh if || +/res/+") = "" ]; then echo "Usage: `basename $0` <4chan thread url> <>" exit 0 fi echo "4chan downloader" LOC=$(echo "$1" | sed... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adolf1994
23 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the directories with same permission and then apply some default UNIX commands

HI there. My teacher asked us to write a code for this question Write a Unix shell script named 'mode' that accepts two or more arguments, a file mode, a command and an optional list of parameters and performs the given command with the optional parameters on all files with that given mode. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: femchi
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to match and apply condtions to matchijng files in directories

I am trying to merge the below awk, which compares two files looking for a match in $2 and then prints the line if two conditions are meet. awk awk 'FNR==NR{A=$0;next} ($2 in A){if($10>30 && $11>49){print A}}' F113.txt F113_tvc.bed This code was improved and provided by @RavinderSingh13,... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
18 Replies

9. Solaris

Giving read write permission to user for specific directories and sub directories.

I have searched this quite a long time but couldn't find the right method for me to use. I need to assign read write permission to the user for specific directories and it's sub directories and files. I do not want to use ACL. This is for Solaris. Please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blinkingdan
1 Replies
lsMode(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       lsMode(3pm)

NAME
Stat::lsMode - format file modes like the "ls -l" command does SYNOPSIS
use Stat::lsMode; $mode = (stat $file)[2]; $permissions = format_mode($mode); # $permissions is now something like `drwxr-xr-x' $permissions = file_mode($file); # Same as above $permissions = format_perms(0644); # Produces just 'rw-r--r--' $permissions = format_perms(644); # This generates a warning message: # mode 644 is very surprising. Perhaps you meant 0644... Stat::lsMode->novice(0); # Disable warning messages DESCRIPTION
"Stat::lsMode" generates mode and permission strings that look like the ones generated by the Unix "ls -l" command. For example, a regular file that is readable by everyone and writable only by its owner has the mode string "-rw-r--r--". "Stat::lsMode" will either examine the file and produce the right mode string for you, or you can pass it the mode that you get back from Perl's "stat" call. "format_mode" Given a mode number (such as the third element of the list returned by "stat"), return the appopriate ten-character mode string as it would have been generated by "ls -l". For example, consider a directory that is readable and searchable by everyone, and also writable by its owner. Such a directory will have mode 040755. When passed this value, "format_mode" will return the string "drwxr-xr-x". If "format_mode" is passed a permission number like 0755, it will return a nine-character string insted, with no leading character to say what the file type is. For example, "format_mode(0755)" will return just "rwxr-xr-x", without the leading "d". "file_mode" Given a filename, do "lstat" on the file to determine the mode, and return the mode, formatted as above. Novice Operation Mode A common mistake when dealing with permission modes is to use 644 where you meant to use 0644. Every permission has a numeric representation, but the representation only makes sense when you write the number in octal. The decimal number 644 corresponds to a permission setting, but not the one you think. If you write it in octal you get 01204, which corresponds to the unlikely permissions "-w----r-T", not to "rw-r--r--". The appearance of the bizarre permission "-w----r-T" in a program is almost a sure sign that someone used 644 when they meant to use 0644. By default, this module will detect the use of such unlikely permissions and issue a warning if you try to format them. To disable these warnings, use Stat::lsMode->novice(0); # disable novice mode Stat::lsMode->novice(1); # enable novice mode again The surprising permissions that are diagnosed by this mode are: 111 => --xr-xrwx 400 => rw--w---- 440 => rw-rwx--- 444 => rw-rwxr-- 551 => ---r--rwt 600 => --x-wx--T 640 => -w------T 644 => -w----r-T 660 => -w--w-r-T 664 => -w--wx--T 666 => -w--wx-wT 700 => -w-rwxr-T 711 => -wx---rwt 750 => -wxr-xrwT 751 => -wxr-xrwt 751 => -wxr-xrwt 755 => -wxrw--wt 770 => r------wT 771 => r------wt 775 => r-----rwt 777 => r----x--t Of these, only 400 is remotely plausible. BUGS
As far as I know, the precise definition of the mode bits is portable between varieties of Unix. The module should, however, examine "stat.h" or use some other method to find out if there are any local variations, because Unix being Unix, someone somewhere probably does it differently. Maybe it "file_mode" should have an option that says that if the file is a symlink, to format the mode of the pointed to file instead of the mode of the link itself, the way "ls -Ll" does. SEE ALSO
o "http://www.plover.com/~mjd/perl/lsMode/". o ls o chmod o stat AUTHOR
Mark-Jason Dominus ("mjd-perl-lsmode@plover.com"). perl v5.10.1 1998-04-20 lsMode(3pm)