Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Function main returning int?
Top Forums Programming Function main returning int? Post 302727125 by Corona688 on Monday 5th of November 2012 09:30:55 PM
Old 11-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
Since main() is an int function you can return any valid int, but is not very useful to return numbers larger than the range I just defined.
I think only the first 8 bits of it actually gets returned to the operating system.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

c++ calling main() function

i just finished a project for a c++ class that i wrote at home on my computer, compiled with gcc. when i brought the code into school it would not compile, it would complain that cannot call main() function. at school we use ancient borland c++ from 1995. anyway my program has 20 different... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: norsk hedensk
3 Replies

2. Programming

Return value (int) from main to calling shell

What is the sytax to return an int from C program main back to calling shell? #!/usr/bin/ksh typeset -i NO_RECS $NO_RECS=process_file # Process file is a C program that is set up to return an int from main. The #program complies with no issues, but an error is generated when the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flounder
3 Replies

3. Programming

main function

Is it possible to execute any function before main() function in C or C++. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun.viswanath
6 Replies

4. Programming

signal handling while in a function other than main

Hi, I have a main loop which calls a sub loop, which finally returns to the main loop itself. The main loop runs when a flag is set. Now, I have a signal handler for SIGINT, which resets the flag and thus stops the main loop. Suppose I send SIGINT while the program is in subloop, I get an error... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Theju
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in awk int() function

awk -vwgt=$vWeight -vfac=$vFactor ' BEGIN { printf("wgt:" wgt "\n"); printf("factor:" fac "\n"); total = sprintf("%.0f", wgt * fac); total2 = sprintf("%.0f", int(wgt * fac)); printf("total:" total "\n"); printf("total2:" total2 "\n"); } ' if vWeight=326.4 vFactor=100 the result... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: qa.bingo
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk issue using int function

Hi, I am having issue with awk command . This command is running in the command prompt but inside a shell script. awk -F'| ' 'int($1)==$1 && int($3) ==$3' int_check.txt $cat int_check.txt 123|abc|123x 234|def|345 When i run it inside a shell script i am getting the error "bailing... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashwin3086
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl int function solved

Hello, I have the below perl function int to return the integer value from the expression but it is not. I am not sure if something misses out here. Any help on this? Thanks in advance. # Code sample Start my $size = int (`1134 sample_text_here`); print "$size \n"; # Code end ----------... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmattam
0 Replies

8. Programming

Handle int listen(int sockfd, int backlog) in TCP

Hi, from the manual listen(2): listen for connections on socket - Linux man page It has a parameter called backlog and it limits the maximum length of queue of pending list. If I set backlog to 128, is it means no more than 128 packets can be handled by server? If I have three... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sehang
3 Replies

9. Programming

How to access argv[x] from another function other than main???

Hi friends, when I am passing arguments to main, I want another function to be able to have access to that function, the problem is that I am creating athread, which has a function like void *xyz(void *), how can pass the refernce of argv to this function, if you see my program, you will better... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

A function that refuses to run anywhere else but main()

Hi. I have some code, that for some reason, I could not post it here in this post. Here's the address for it: #if 0 shc Version 4.0.1, Generic Shell Script Compiler GNU GPL Version 3 Md - Pastebin.com First off, I used "shc" to convert the code from shell script to C. And The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ignatius
6 Replies
FBB::mlm(3bobcat)                                             OFoldStream manipulator                                            FBB::mlm(3bobcat)

NAME
FBB::mlm - Manipulator modifying left margins of OFoldStream objects SYNOPSIS
#include <bobcat/ofoldstream> or #include <bobcat/ofoldstreambuf> Linking option: -lbobcat DESCRIPTION
The mlm class implements a manipulator that can be inserted into OFoldStream objects to modify the stream's left margin by a requested amount. The request cannot result in a negative left margin value. If a negative left margin would be the arithmetic result of the request then left margin 0 will silently be used. Depending on the tab-setting of the OFoldStream the inserted value represents the number of blank space characters or the number of tab-characters that will be added to the left margin. The request will be processed at the next newline character or std::flush or std::endl manipulator that is inserted into the stream. If a line is still empty once an mlm object and a flush manipulator are inserted into the stream then the new left margin will be effective at the next word inserted into that line (cf., the example section below) A bad_cast exception is thrown when the manipulator is inserted into an ostream that is not using a OFoldStreambuf buffer. NAMESPACE
FBB All constructors, members, operators and manipulators, mentioned in this man-page, are defined in the namespace FBB. INHERITS FROM
- CONSTRUCTOR
o mlm(int addValue): The standard copy constructor is available. MEMBER FUNCTIONS
There are no public or protected member functions in this class. EXAMPLE
#include <iostream> #include <bobcat/ofoldstream> using namespace std; using namespace FBB; int main() { OFoldStream out(cout, 0, 80); out << "hello world (left margin is 0)" << mlm(4) << " " "this uses a 4 character wide left margin " << mlm(-10) << flush << "left margin -6 changed to 0, active on this line "; return 0; } FILES
bobcat/mlm - defines the class interface SEE ALSO
bobcat(7), manipulators(3bobcat), lm(3bobcat), ofoldstream(3bobcat) BUGS
None Reported. DISTRIBUTION FILES
o bobcat_3.01.00-x.dsc: detached signature; o bobcat_3.01.00-x.tar.gz: source archive; o bobcat_3.01.00-x_i386.changes: change log; o libbobcat1_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries; o libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries, headers and manual pages; o http://sourceforge.net/projects/bobcat: public archive location; BOBCAT
Bobcat is an acronym of `Brokken's Own Base Classes And Templates'. COPYRIGHT
This is free software, distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). AUTHOR
Frank B. Brokken (f.b.brokken@rug.nl). libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x.tar.gz 2005-2012 FBB::mlm(3bobcat)