Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Why use strong passwords?
Special Forums Cybersecurity Why use strong passwords? Post 302727041 by Neo on Monday 5th of November 2012 02:26:58 PM
Old 11-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgt
Passwords are no longer stored in /etc/passwd. If you have access to /etc/shadow, then you already have root access to the target system anyway, either through the root password, or physical access.
Yes, I am using the term "password file" in the general since, as we have not discussed a specific system, algorithm, configuration, security policy, etc.

And, we are getting far off topic in my view; the original poster asked why there is a requirement for strong passwords versus weak ones; not for a discussion of every possible argument pro and con for security.

It's not that hard for an experienced attacker to gain root access; but that is not a topic for this thread. In fact, as we know, we can gain root access for most any computer we have physical access to.

Let's not go down that path.. thanks. The path just gets further and further off topic of the question asked by the original poster.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strong quotes and spaces

We ran into a problem because of a shop that uses Windows and UNIX. The file names that Windows uses have spaces in them. When they get moved to the unix system they still have spaces. This produces a problem in our script that moves them again from one unix system to another. I've made up a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimcampanella
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When did UNIX start using encrypted passwords, and not displaying passwords when you type them in?

I've been using various versions of UNIX and Linux since 1993, and I've never run across one that showed your password as you type it in when you log in, or one that stored passwords in plain text rather than encrypted. I'm writing a script for work for a security audit, and two of the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
5 Replies
dialups(4)							   File Formats 							dialups(4)

NAME
dialups - list of terminal devices requiring a dial-up password SYNOPSIS
/etc/dialups DESCRIPTION
dialups is an ASCII file which contains a list of terminal devices that require a dial-up password. A dial-up password is an additional password required of users who access the computer through a modem or dial-up port. The correct password must be entered before the user is granted access to the computer. The set of ports that require a dial-up password are listed in the dialups file. Each entry in the dialups file is a single line of the form: terminal-device where terminal-device The full path name of the terminal device that will require a dial-up password for users accessing the computer through a modem or dial-up port. The dialups file should be owned by the root user and the root group. The file should have read and write permissions for the owner (root) only. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample dialups file. Here is a sample dialups file: /dev/term/a /dev/term/b /dev/term/c FILES
/etc/d_passwd dial-up password file /etc/dialups list of dial-up ports requiring dial-up passwords SEE ALSO
d_passwd(4) SunOS 5.10 4 May 1994 dialups(4)