Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep multiple strings in multiple files Post 302726967 by xshang on Monday 5th of November 2012 12:22:14 PM
Old 11-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipinajith
I don't recommend this approach, but I hope it works:-
Code:
grep -f search_file * | awk -F":" ' { print $NF } ' | sort | uniq -c | awk ' { if($1>=50) print; } '

Note: search_file is the file with multiple strings that you mentioned.
Thanks!

Yes, this approach might not be efficiency. there are millions of strings in my file and hundreds of files to be searched. Do you have any other smart suggestions?

Thank you very much.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep Multiple Strings

Hi, Can any one pelase tell me how to grep multiple strings from multiple files in a singel folder? grep -E "string1|string2|string3|string4|string..." its taking lots of time.. can any please tell me fast grep??? URGENT (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: durgaprasad
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

best method of replacing multiple strings in multiple files - sed or awk? most simple preferred :)

Hi guys, say I have a few files in a directory (58 text files or somthing) each one contains mulitple strings that I wish to replace with other strings so in these 58 files I'm looking for say the following strings: JAM (replace with BUTTER) BREAD (replace with CRACKER) SCOOP (replace... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
19 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep command to find multiple strings in multiple lines in a file.

I want to search files (basically .cc files) in /xx folder and subfolders. Those files (*.cc files) must contain #include "header.h" AND x() function. I am writing it another way to make it clear, I wanna list of *.cc files that have 'header.h' & 'x()'. They must have two strings, header.h... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritikaSharma
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep multiple strings in multiple files using single command

Hi, I will use below command for grep single string ("osuser" is search string) ex: find . -type f | xarg grep -il osuser but i have one more string "v$session" here i want to grep in which file these two strings are present. any help is appreciated, Thanks in advance. Gagan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagan4599
2 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How do you [e]grep for multiple values within multiple files?

Hi I'm sure there's a way to do this, but I ran out of caffeine/talent before getting the answer in a long winded alternate way (don't ask ;) ) The task I was trying to do was scan a directory of files and show only files that contained 3 values: I940 5433309 2181 I tried many variations... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: callumw
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace: Multiple Strings / Multiple Files

I have a list of files all over a file system e.g. /home/1/foo/bar.x /www/sites/moose/foo.txtI'm looking for strings in these files and want to replace each occurrence with a replacement string, e.g. if I find: '#@!^\&@ in any of the files I want to replace it with: 655#@11, etc. There... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't grep multiple strings

I have a script that periodically checks the Apache error_log to search for a specific error that causes it to hand and, if found, it restarts the service. I recently found another error that forces it to hand and won't serve pages until it is reset. What I'm trying to do is to get the script to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cfjohnsn
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep and replace multiple strings in a file with multiple filenames in a file

Hi, I have a file containing list of strings like i: Pink Yellow Green and I have file having list of file names in a directory j : a b c d Where j contains of a ,b,c,d are as follows a: Pink (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madabhg
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep strings on multiple files and output to multiple files

Hi All, I want to use egrep on multiple files and the results should be output to multiple files. I am using the below code in my shell script(working in Ksh shell). However with this code I am not attaining the desired results. #!/bin/ksh ( a="/path/file1" b="path/file2" for file in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: am24
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to pass strings from a list of strings from another file and create multiple files?

Hello Everyone , Iam a newbie to shell programming and iam reaching out if anyone can help in this :- I have two files 1) Insert.txt 2) partition_list.txt insert.txt looks like this :- insert into emp1 partition (partition_name) (a1, b2, c4, s6, d8) select a1, b2, c4, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nubie2linux
2 Replies
ShellQuote(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     ShellQuote(3)

NAME
String::ShellQuote - quote strings for passing through the shell SYNOPSIS
$string = shell_quote @list; $string = shell_quote_best_effort @list; $string = shell_comment_quote $string; DESCRIPTION
This module contains some functions which are useful for quoting strings which are going to pass through the shell or a shell-like object. shell_quote [string]... shell_quote quotes strings so they can be passed through the shell. Each string is quoted so that the shell will pass it along as a single argument and without further interpretation. If no strings are given an empty string is returned. If any string can't be safely quoted shell_quote will croak. shell_quote_best_effort [string]... This is like shell_quote, excpet if the string can't be safely quoted it does the best it can and returns the result, instead of dying. shell_comment_quote [string] shell_comment_quote quotes the string so that it can safely be included in a shell-style comment (the current algorithm is that a sharp character is placed after any newlines in the string). This routine might be changed to accept multiple string arguments in the future. I haven't done this yet because I'm not sure if the strings should be joined with blanks ($") or nothing ($,). Cast your vote today! Be sure to justify your answer. EXAMPLES
$cmd = 'fuser 2>/dev/null ' . shell_quote @files; @pids = split ' ', `$cmd`; print CFG "# Configured by: ", shell_comment_quote($ENV{LOGNAME}), " "; BUGS
Only Bourne shell quoting is supported. I'd like to add other shells (particularly cmd.exe), but I'm not familiar with them. It would be a big help if somebody supplied the details. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> SEE ALSO
perl(1). perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 ShellQuote(3)