Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare two sample files and find common Post 302726693 by manigrover on Monday 5th of November 2012 05:12:17 AM
Old 11-05-2012
Hi Pamu,

Thanks a lot. Can we convert file separated by spaces into column separated file first(second file)

Spacing seems to be the only problem in second file as I tried several options because of spacing nothing is working.

let me know if you cme across any suggestion because problem is same still.

Mani

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find all common lines from 'n' no. of files

Hi, I have one situation. I have some 6-7 no. of files in one directory & I have to extract all the lines which exist in all these files. means I need to extract all common lines from all these files & put them in a separate file. Please help. I know it could be done with the help of... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Observer
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Files common in two sets ??? How to find ??

Suppose we have 2 set of files set 1 set 2 ------ ------ abc hgb def ppp mgh vvv nmk sdf hgb ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find common lines using just one column to compare and result with all columns

Hi. If we have this file A B C 7 8 9 1 2 10 and this other file A C D F 7 9 2 3 9 2 3 4 The result i´m looking for is intersection with A B C D F so the answer here will be (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: alcalina
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compare two files based on common field in unix

I have two files in UNIX. 1st file is Entity and Second File is References. 1st File has only one column named Entity ID and 2nd file has two columns Entity ID | Person ID. I want to produce a output file where entity id's are matching in both the files. Entity File 624197 624252 624264... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PRS
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare a common field in two files and append a column from File 1 in File2

Hi Friends, I am new to Shell Scripting and need your help in the below situation. - I have two files (File 1 and File 2) and the contents of the files are mentioned below. - "Application handle" is the common field in both the files. (NOTE :- PLEASE REFER TO THE ATTACHMENT "Compare files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santoshbn
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare multiple files, and extract items that are common to ALL files only

I have this code awk 'NR==FNR{a=$1;next} a' file1 file2 which does what I need it to do, but for only two files. I want to make it so that I can have multiple files (for example 30) and the code will return only the items that are in every single one of those files and ignore the ones... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: castrojc
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare multiple files, identify common records and combine unique values into one file

Good morning all, I have a problem that is one step beyond a standard awk compare. I would like to compare three files which have several thousand records against a fourth file. All of them have a value in each row that is identical, and one value in each of those rows which may be duplicated... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nashton
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find common files between two directories

I have two directories Dir 1 /home/sid/release1 Dir 2 /home/sid/release2 I want to find the common files between the two directories Dir 1 files /home/sid/release1>ls -lrt total 16 -rw-r--r-- 1 sid cool 0 Jun 19 12:53 File123 -rw-r--r-- 1 sid cool 0 Jun 19 12:53... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidnow
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compare two files and print based on common variable value.

Hi All, i have below two files. FILE: NAME="/dev/sda" TYPE="disk" SIZE="60G" OWNER="root" GROUP="disk" MODE="brw-rw----" PKNAME="" MOUNTPOINT="" NAME="/dev/sda1" TYPE="part" SIZE="500M" OWNER="root" GROUP="disk" MODE="brw-rw----" PKNAME="/dev/sda" MOUNTPOINT="/boot" NAME="/dev/sda2"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: balu1234
3 Replies
PR(1)							      General Commands Manual							     PR(1)

NAME
pr - print file SYNOPSIS
pr [ option ... ] [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Pr produces a printed listing of one or more files on its standard output. The output is separated into pages headed by a date, the name of the file or a specified header, and the page number. With no file arguments, pr prints its standard input. Options apply to all following files but may be reset between files: -n Produce n-column output. +n Begin printing with page n. -b Balance columns on last page, in case of multi-column output. -d Double space. -en Set the tab stops for input text every n spaces. -h Take the next argument as a page header (file by default). -in Replace sequences of blanks in the output by tabs, using tab stops set every n spaces. -f Use formfeeds to separate pages. -ln Take the length of the page to be n lines instead of the default 66. -m Print all files simultaneously, each in one column. -n Number the lines of each file. -on Offset the left margin n character positions. -sc Separate columns by the single character c instead of aligning them with white space. A missing c is taken to be a tab. -t Do not print the 5-line header or the 5-line trailer normally supplied for each page. -wn For multi-column output, take the width of the page to be n characters instead of the default 72. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/pr.c SEE ALSO
cat(1), lp(1) PR(1)