Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris and PAM Password policy Post 302725931 by fpmurphy on Saturday 3rd of November 2012 01:07:47 AM
Old 11-03-2012
Quote:
A user who already logged must be able to login even if LDAP server is down.
Then you are going to have support local authentication as well as LDAP authentication. A better approach would be to have a secondary/slave LDAP server.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

PAM, Solaris, Openssh and Forcing a password change

Here's the issue. Currently when I run passwd -f "username" on any account, when I try to login with said account I don't get prompted to change my password I just keep getting prompted to input a password. (Of course this works just fine with telnet)Is there something i need to add to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodson2
7 Replies

2. Solaris

Password policy problem ??

Hi Solaris's expert I need to change user password on Solaris10 2 servers. With the same password I can change it just only one. Try to check everything but not found difference?? password pattern: abcdeFgh9Jk server1 check all characters but server2 check only first 8 characters.Why??... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arm_naja
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using PAM to log password changes?

Hi, on a lab computer another user (who is a sudoer) changed my password without my permission. I'm pretty positive it was her, though I can't conclusively prove it. I had my friend, who is another sudoer on the machine, fix it and make me a sudoer now too. So everything is fine, but I want... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: declannalced
0 Replies

4. Red Hat

NIS password policy

Hi, I am running NIS server on redhat linux 5 and I want to implement password restrictions for the yppasswd, how can I do it.Please help me. I can implement password restriction for passwd by configuring /etc/pam.d/system-auth and setting crack_lib.so but I don't know how to implent the same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktrimu
3 Replies

5. Solaris

password policy for new user

hi folk, i try to setup a new password policy for our solaris box user, below are the /etc/default/passwd/, but then when i tried to create a user, it didn't ask for numeric character, and the new password also didn't ask for special characters. # useradd testing # passwd testing New... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dehetoxic
7 Replies

6. Ubuntu

User and Password Policy

Hi linux expert, i would like to create a script for listing all user with there password policy. It should be in the following format: Last password change : Sep 19, 2011 Password expires : never Password inactive : never Account... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yprudent
2 Replies

7. SuSE

PAM password change failed, pam error 20

Hi, I use a software which can create account on many system or application. One of resource which is managed by this soft his a server SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (x86_64). patch level 3. This application which is an IBM application use ssh to launch command to create account in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scabarrus
3 Replies

8. AIX

Password Policy

I need help. I have set a password policy. But I want to dis allow setting user name as password. My policy is as below... min length =8 min diff=2 min alpha=2 max repeats=2 dictionary= /usr/share/dict/words Still user can set his username as password (i.e. Jackie1234). Code tags for... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: powerAIX
11 Replies

9. Linux

Password hardening using pam

Hi We have a requirement to vary the minimum password criteria by the group to which a user belongs. For example a standard user should have a password with a minimum length of 12 and containing a mix of characters whereas an administrator should have a password with a minimum length of 14... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gregsih
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Password policy for root

Hi, I am unable to enforce password complexity policy for root user. (other users are working) on RHEL 6.2. Anything wrong with system-auth parameters? PLease help.. vi /etc/pam.d/system-auth #%PAM-1.0 # This file is auto-generated. # User changes will be destroyed the next time... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suresh3566
1 Replies
LDAP_BIND(3)						     Library Functions Manual						      LDAP_BIND(3)

NAME
ldap_bind, ldap_bind_s, ldap_simple_bind, ldap_simple_bind_s, ldap_kerberos_bind_s, ldap_kerberos_bind1, ldap_kerberos_bind1_s, ldap_ker- beros_bind2, ldap_kerberos_bind2_s, ldap_unbind, ldap_unbind_s - LDAP bind routines SYNOPSIS
#include <ldap.h> int ldap_bind(ld, who, cred, method) LDAP *ld; char *who, *cred; int method; int ldap_bind_s(ld, who, cred, method) LDAP *ld; char *who, *cred; int method; int ldap_simple_bind(ld, who, passwd) LDAP *ld; char *who, *passwd; int ldap_simple_bind_s(ld, who, passwd) LDAP *ld; char *who, *passwd; int ldap_kerberos_bind_s(ld, who) LDAP *ld; char *who; int ldap_kerberos_bind1(ld, who) LDAP *ld; char *who; int ldap_kerberos_bind1_s(ld, who) LDAP *ld; char *who; int ldap_kerberos_bind2(ld, who) LDAP *ld; char *who; int ldap_kerberos_bind2_s(ld, who) LDAP *ld; char *who; int ldap_unbind(ld) LDAP *ld; int ldap_unbind_s(ld) LDAP *ld; DESCRIPTION
These routines provide various interfaces to the LDAP bind operation. After a connection is made to an LDAP server using ldap_open(3), an LDAP bind operation must be performed before other operations can be attempted over the conection. Both synchronous and asynchronous ver- sions of each variant of the bind call are provided. There are three types of calls, providing simple authentication, kerberos authentica- tion, and general routines to do either one. All routines take ld as their first parameter, as returned from ldap_open(3). SIMPLE AUTHENTICATION
The simplest form of the bind call is ldap_simple_bind_s(). It takes the DN to bind as in who, and the userPassword associated with the entry in passwd. It returns an LDAP error indication (see ldap_error(3)). The ldap_simple_bind() call is asynchronous, taking the same parameters but only initiating the bind operation and returning the message id of the request it sent. The result of the operation can be obtained by a subsequent call to ldap_result(3). KERBEROS AUTHENTICATION
If the LDAP library and LDAP server being contacted have been compiled with the KERBEROS option defined, Kerberos version 4 authentication can be accomplished by calling the ldap_kerberos_bind_s() routine. It assumes the user already has obtained a ticket granting ticket. It takes who, the DN of the entry to bind as. This routine does both steps of the kerberos binding process synchronously. The ldap_ker- beros_bind1_s() and ldap_kerberos_bind2_s() routines allow synchronous access to the individual steps, authenticating to the LDAP server and DSA, respectively. The ldap_kerberos_bind1() and ldap_kerberos_bind2() routines provide equivalent asynchronous access. GENERAL AUTHENTICATION
The ldap_bind() and ldap_bind_s() routines can be used when the authentication method to use needs to be selected at runtime. They both take an extra method parameter selecting the authentication method to use. It should be set to one of LDAP_AUTH_SIMPLE, LDAP_AUTH_KRBV41, or LDAP_AUTH_KRBV42, to select simple authentication, kerberos authentication to the LDAP server, or kerberos authentication to the DSA, respectively. ldap_bind() returns the message id of the request it initiates. ldap_bind_s() returns an LDAP error indication. UNBINDING
The ldap_unbind() call is used to unbind from the directory, terminate the current association, and free the resources contained in the ld structure. Once it is called, the connection to the LDAP server is closed, and the ld structure is invalid. The ldap_unbind_s() call is just another name for ldap_unbind(); both of these calls are synchronous in nature. ERRORS
Asynchronous routines will return -1 in case of error, setting the ld_errno parameter of the ld structure. Synchronous routines return whatever ld_errno is set to. See ldap_error(3) for more information. SEE ALSO
ldap(3), ldap_error(3), ldap_open(3) ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
OpenLDAP is developed and maintained by The OpenLDAP Project (http://www.openldap.org/). OpenLDAP is derived from University of Michigan LDAP 3.3 Release. OpenLDAP 2.0.27-Release 22 September 1998 LDAP_BIND(3)