Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Watch a directory for new files Post 302725819 by ctsgnb on Friday 2nd of November 2012 04:47:17 PM
Old 11-02-2012
Yup ... and by the way, you can also just use the watch command instead:

Code:
man watch

(see -d option and -n option)
This User Gave Thanks to ctsgnb For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script to watch changes on a directory

Hi, everybody I want to know hot to watch changes on a dir, for example if someone changes a file inside it, with an script. I've tried using md5sum and then diff, sadly with no success. I use md5sum for single files, but doesn't work for directories. The idea is take a snapshot with md5sum,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which log files to watch for size?

I'm rusty with unix admin, and I was just informed by a peer in another city that I need to watch my unix log files for size, but she never told me which ones to watch - and of course, now she's gone for two weeks! I am using Sco OpenServer 5.5 (I believe), can anyone tip me off on the trouble log... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: citygov
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Watch directory and move specific file extensions

Hi all, This is actually more for my lazyness then anything else, but I think others might find it useful to use as well. Basically this is what I am trying to achieve... In my ubuntu home dir under Downloads is where firefox saves everything by default, now I know that you can manually... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: STOIE
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH Script to watch log files for 2 strings

Hi all, How can I do a ksh script to watch a log file for 2 specific alarms that have one this string : "Connection Error" and the other one: "Failure in sending". I would like to watch for these two alarms in the log and then if each of them repeats for about 30 times to go kill 2 processes. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to rsync or tar directory trees, with hidden directory, but without files?

I want to backup all the directory tress, including hidden directories, without copying any files. find . -type d gives the perfect list. When I tried tar, it won't work for me because it tars all the files. find . -type d | xargs tar -cvf a.tar So i tried rsync. On my own test box, the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fld2007
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping file names, comparing them to a directory of files, and moving them into a new directory

got it figured out :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sHockz
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting-I need a script which should watch a directory for a file with specific directory

I need a script which should watch a directory for a file with specific directory. If it finds a file in directory, it should search for few specific keyword in the file. if the keyword exists, it should trim string from specific column. The file should be moved to another directory and the a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: akashdeepak
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Watch a directory for files with a pecific pattern

I dont know if this possible. I need to watch a directory and if any file gets appeneded with a particular entry say, nologin.php, we should get output of that. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anil510
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with date, create directory, move to the created directory

Hi all, i have a folder, with tons of files containing as following, on /my/folder/jobs/ some_name_2016-01-17-22-38-58_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-40-30_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-48-50_some name_0_0.zip.done and these can be lots of similar files,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory containing files,Print names of the files in the directory that are exactly same content.

Given a directory containing say a few thousand files, please output a list of all the names of the files in the directory that are exactly the same, i.e. have the same contents. func(a_directory_name) output -> {“matches”: , ... ]} e.g. func(“/home/my/files”) where the directory... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
7 Replies
watch(n)						       BLT Built-In Commands							  watch(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
watch - call Tcl procedures before and after each command SYNOPSIS
watch create watchName ?options? watch activate watchName watch deactivate watchName watch delete watchName watch configure watchName ?options watch info watchName watch names _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The watch command arranges for Tcl procedures to be invoked before and after the execution of each Tcl command. INTRODUCTION
When an error occurs in Tcl, the global variable errorInfo will contain a stack-trace of the active procedures when the error occured. Sometimes, however, the stack trace is insufficient. You may need to know exactly where in the program's execution the error occured. In cases like this, a more general tracing facility would be useful. The watch command lets you designate Tcl procedures to be invoked before and after the execution of each Tcl command. This means you can display the command line and its results for each command as it executes. Another use is to profile your Tcl commands. You can profile any Tcl command (like if and set), not just Tcl procedures. EXAMPLE
The following example use watch to trace Tcl commands (printing to standard error) both before and after they are executed. proc preCmd { level command argv } { set name [lindex $argv 0] puts stderr "$level $name => $command" } proc postCmd { level command argv retcode results } { set name [lindex $argv 0] puts stderr "$level $name => $argv0= ($retcode) $results" } watch create trace -postcmd postCmd -precmd preCmd OPERATIONS
The following operations are available for the watch command: watch activate watchName Activates the watch, causing Tcl commands the be traced to the maximum depth selected. watch create watchName ?options?... Creates a new watch watchName. It's an error if another watch watchName already exists and an error message will be returned. Options may have any of the values accepted by the watch configure command. This command returns the empty string. watch configure watchName ?options...? Queries or modifies the configuration options of the watch watchName. WatchName is the name of a watch. Options may have any of the following values: -active boolean Specifies if the watch is active. By default, watches are active when created. -postcmd string Specifies a Tcl procedure to be called immediately after each Tcl command. String is name of a Tcl procedure and any extra arguments to be passed to it. Before string is invoked, five more arguments are appended: 1) the current level 2) the cur- rent command line 3) a list containing the command after substitutions and split into words 4) the return code of the com- mand, and 5) the results of the command. The return status of the postcmd procedure is always ignored. -precmd string Specifies a Tcl procedure to be called immediately before each Tcl command. String is name of a Tcl procedure and any extra arguments to be passed to it. Before string is invoked, three arguments are appended: 1) the current level 2) the current command line, and 3) a list containing the command after substitutions and split into words. The return status of the -precmd procedure is always ignored. -maxlevel number Specifies the maximum evaluation depth to watch Tcl commands. The default maximum level is 10000. watch deactivate watchName Deactivates the watch. The -precmd and -postcmd procedures will no longer be invoked. watch info watchName Returns the configuration information associated with the watch watchName. WatchName is the name of a watch. watch names ?state? Lists the names of the watches for a given state. State may be one of the following: active, idle, or ignore. If a state argument isn't specified, all watches are listed. KEYWORDS
debug, profile BLT
2.4 watch(n)