Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris Filesystem usage discrepancy after "copy" Post 302725681 by ru4n1 on Friday 2nd of November 2012 01:18:44 PM
Old 11-02-2012
Solaris Filesystem usage discrepancy after "copy"

I have a query someone may be able to shed some light on...

We have a Solaris 10 OS Sun V490 server Sparc.

I have a SAN attached EMC Clarrion LUN which we have app data stored on.
Pseudo name=emcpower0a
CLARiiON ID=CK200070300470

Due to storage requirements - I need to migrate this data onto a SAN attached DMX Symmetrix volume.
Pseudo name=emcpower1a
Symmetrix ID=000290103149

I have the existing Clariion disk attached and configured, labelled, partitioned as normal and mounted under /emc.

I took the newly presented DMX storage disk and made this visible to format (devfsadm & cfgadm commands) and then labelled and partitioned this disk also. This is now mounted as /NEWemc.

* At this point - I discovered that Solaris has nuances with regards to direct copying of symbolic links so I have chosen to not use a straightforward...

Code:
"cp -rp /emc/* /NEWemc/"

I had attempted this firstly but this posed issues for us as rather than copying the symbolic link - actual files were fetched for the copy. I believe there is a '-H' switch that can be incorporated but I did not get this to work properly for me.

Instead what I chose to do was perform a tar direct input/output compress/extract.

cd /emc
tar -cfp - ./* | (cd /NEWemc/; tar -xvfp -)

This works very effectively and all files/directories/symbolic links appear to come across from the old disk to the new as expected.

** However! **
Both du and df filesystem usage commands are reporting a very different sitaution

Inquiry into 'old' disk filesystem
Code:
root@server:/emc> df -k /emc
Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
/dev/dsk/emcpower0a  61756540 12339844 48799131    21%    /emc
root@server:/emc> df -h /emc
Filesystem             size   used  avail capacity  Mounted on
/dev/dsk/emcpower0a     59G    12G    47G    21%    /emc
root@server:/emc> du -sk /emc
12278596        /emc
root@server:/emc> find /emc/ | wc -l

Inquiry into 'NEW' disk filesystem
Code:
root@server:/emc> df -k /NEWemc/
Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
/dev/dsk/emcpower1a  69586089 28531665 40358564    42%    /NEWemc
root@server:/emc> df -h /NEWemc/
Filesystem             size   used  avail capacity  Mounted on
/dev/dsk/emcpower1a     66G    27G    38G    42%    /NEWemc
root@server:/emc> du -sk /NEWemc/
28466121        /NEWemc
root@server:/emc> find /NEWemc/ | wc -l

I understand that du and df can sometimes display slightly skewed results but the discrepancy here is significantly different!
I have unmounted the /NEWemc filesystem and also rebooted the server - but the filesystem usage stats do not fall into line... which is what I would expect?

Anyone have any suggestions please?
Am I incorrect in my expectations?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris escape my script from "-" to "/226"

Hello everyone. I beg your guys pardon please. I try to ls -al in many path/directories. So, I put the code in text file which look like below; ls -al / ls -al /etc ls -al /etc/default ... however, when I paste it to Solaris over SecureCRT, it seems the code was escaped from "-" to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smith
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

4. Red Hat

eliminating "mounted filesystem" messages from syslog

Hello all, perhaps this is an odd request, but I have the requirement none the less. Every time I mount a filesystem (at least an ext4 filesystem), I get a line indicating such in the syslog: Oct 9 22:26:28 sulaco kernel: EXT4-fs (dm-1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lupin..the..3rd
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Printer configuration Migration from Solaris 10 "LP" to Solaris 11 "CUPS"

Need to find a way to import an LP printers.conf file to CUPS. I have some new Solaris 11.1 boxes that need to have 300 printers added. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: os2mac
0 Replies

6. Solaris

ZFS flash install "Unable to create Filesystem error"

Hi, I am trying to get an HPz420 workstation instaled (zfs root pool) via a jump-start server. I have a zfs image (from this workstation) the Solaris release is 10 1/13 update 11. I use a sparc U25 install server, upgraded to the same solaris build 10 1/13. This server is configured to install... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sc0rpie
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
df(1)							      General Commands Manual							     df(1)

Name
       df - display free and used disk space

Syntax
       df [-i] [-l] [-n] [filesystem...] [file...]

Description
       The command displays the amount of disk space available on the specified file system, for example, It also displays the amount of available
       disk space on the file system in which the specified file is contained, for example, If a device is given that has no file systems  mounted
       on  it,	displays  the  information  for  the  root file system.  Without any arguments or options, displays shows all mounted filesystems,
       including those manually mounted without use of the file.  The numbers are reported in kilobytes.

Unless the -n option is specified, updates the statistics stored in memory for the file system specified, before it  returns  the  informa-
       tion.

Options
       -i   Also report the number of used and free inodes.

-l   Reports on locally mounted disks only.

-n   Do	not  update the file system statistics stored in memory.  Instead, return whatever statistics are stored in memory.  This prevents
	    from hanging in the event that a server containing the specified file system is down.

Restrictions
       You cannot use the command to find free space on an unmounted file system using the block or character special device name.   Instead,  use
       the command.

Examples
       % df
       Filesystem     Total    kbytes  kbytes	%
       node	      kbytes   used    free	used	Mounted on
       /dev/ra1a       7429    2085    4602	31%    /tmp
       /dev/ra0e      30519   14817   12651	54%    /usr/spool
       /dev/ra0h     313233  122858  159052	44%    /usr/staff1

The  total  disk  space is the total space that was created during the making of the file system.  The addition of the used space, the free
       space and a percentage of reserved space is the total space.  The default value for the reserved space is 10%.

Files
       List of mounted file systems

See Also
       getmnt(2), fstab(5), dumpfs(8), icheck(8), mkfs(8), newfs(8), quot(8)

df(1)