Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Custom Shell
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Custom Shell Post 302725517 by JayC89 on Friday 2nd of November 2012 10:02:20 AM
Old 11-02-2012
Custom Shell

I have a jump off server, which grants SSH access to a few other servers.

I would like to create a custom shell which can be assigned to specific user accounts which runs a menu script upon login, where they can select which server they want to jump too, however should they hit ctrl-c or any other exit command, it boots them off the box rather than granting them direct access to the jump off server itself. If that makes sense?

Is that possible?
JayC89

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing ip in a custom way

Hi. I hope someone can help me. I have e very special question. I have a Lunix server and I have installed Webmin on it. This way, I can create a login for an other user and give him restricted access to some custom commands I set up. One of the commands i would like to setup, is for him to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wonderke
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Custom Reporting Utilities for SHell (CRUSH)

If you are interested in a set of utilities designed for reporting solutions within the shell, check out CRUSH on Google code. crush-tools - Project Hosting on Google Code (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: watingo
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

doing own custom parameters

I have an rsync command that I want to create a variable where user can change to customize the parameters. complete rsync command to run: $RSYNC -e 'ssh -ax -o ClearAllForwardings=yes' --log-file=$LOG_FILE --delete -avzcr -u --update $SRC_DIR $USER@$TRG_SRV:$TRG_DIR >> $LOG_FILE What I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abubin
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

custom command

hi I am trying to make my own commands in my linux.I thought a command for changing directories will be easy. I made a simple file amd made the entries #!/bin/bash cd /opt/mydir I then made the file executable and then moved it to /usr/bin. But when i type the script name nothing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: born
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Custom UNIX Shell Command

Hi, This may be a silly question. I have been searching for a while on this. How can I create a custom unix command using C (a command similar to 'echo'). (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tinufarid
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ps and top in a custom shell

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around implementing top and ps in a custom shell. What I have is a shell that allows you to do basic commands as you would in a regular bash shell, but when I do the ps command, it gives me all of the processes within my regular bash shell rather than my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ziun
2 Replies

7. Programming

Custom icons for shell script

Hi, I have an application that I wrote in C using the GTK toolkit that runs on the Linux system. I have a shell script than when run executes two terminals to open a client and server application. I would like to know more on how to create custom start-up icons for my program. ie. using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fedora18
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Custom icons for shell script

Hi, Also posted in other forum. I have an application that I wrote in C using the GTK toolkit that runs on the Linux system. I have a shell script than when run executes two terminals to open a client and server application. I would like to know more on how to create custom start-up... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora18
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing custom data into xml in Shell

Hi , I have data as below in a text file { 'AAA' => { 'A1' => 'a1 comment', 'A2' => 'a2 comment' }, 'BBB' => { 'B1' => 'b1 comment' }, 'CCC' => { 'C1' => 'c1 comment', 'C2' => 'c2 comment', 'C3' => 'c3 comment' 'C4' => 'c4... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

10. Programming

Help w/ writing a custom Linux shell using x86 assembly (NASM)

Hello world, I thought this might be a great start to help me with an assignment I have that requires me to write an assembly program that mimics a 32 bit Linux command shell: When launched, your program will perform the following steps in a loop: 1. Print a prompt, specifically “$ “... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: turtle13
1 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). User Commands 06/24/2011 CHSH(1)