Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Need guidance on VMStat
Operating Systems AIX Need guidance on VMStat Post 302725443 by bakunin on Friday 2nd of November 2012 08:20:31 AM
Old 11-02-2012
OK, i have seen the output of two runs of "vmstat". What is it that you want to know, now?

"Tuning for performance" is a wide field and if your system is well tuned or not can't be answered from these data.

"Performance" is a term meaning "fitness for a specific purpose". As we don't know which purpose the system serves we can't tell if it is fit for this purpose or not.

If a vehicle is "fast" can only be answered once you specify the details of the movement involved: which streets (streets at all?), how much cargo to transport, distance involved, etc., etc.. The same goes for "performance": one would have to know, which applications the system runs, what it is expected to do and in which time and so on and so on.

And even if we would know which purpose the system serves and what else is running on it, there are still questions left: hardware resources (number of real and logical processors, disks, filesystems, I/O figures, OS version, network connections, .... the list could easily be continued.

Therefore: carefully rephrase your question, thinking over what exactly you want to know, what you already have in terms of data ("vmstat" was sure not the only command you tried, did you?) and what you want to achieve.

Then come back and ask again.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

NIM Guidance

I've just started to explore NIM and I'm looking for additional information on how to set it up and configure it. I've read through the "NIM A-Z" and have many unanswered questions. One question is how can I have the NIM server pull a mksysb of the clients and can I schedule this to happen... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scottsl
1 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Career Guidance

Hi, I am a newbie to Unix, I was introduced to UNIX 8 months back during my Training, I was attracted to Unix as they give complete freedom. I would like to ask how can a OS Admin can go into development field of Unix. Currently I am working in a MNC in Backup- Storage Admin Domain I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sufi_431
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

A little guidance needed :)

Hi guys, I'm learning the ropes of BASH and am doing a few exercises to see if its sinking in but have gotten stuck on something I KNOW is looking at me right in the face but just isn't registering. I'm creating a script that needs to get specific strings from a line. So using the "ls -l... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadow0001
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need guidance on RHEL patch

Hi, I am new with updates in RHEL especially servers. The question is: 1. Do I need to register to RHEL in order for me to use the up2date? 2. For updates in RHEL need to use up2date, but what is the thing that I need to do before the patches? I mean what should I backup in case my patches... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: flekzout
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Career Guidance in solaris

Hi, Can someone Please Suggest me, if there are any opportunities in solaris field Apart from being Admin or Working in Support Domain. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laxmi Sharma
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Just need some guidance on this nawk

Hi, I am trying to debug some KSH script and it has the nawk portion below. I just want to confirm whether I understand what it does correctly. Example usage of the nawk line is run as below: nawk '/^#/ {next} $1~/^'testp.cfg'$|^'testp.cfg'\.testdb\.com\.ph$/ { c=0 while... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Some guidance on scripting

Hey All, I am newbie on scripting and need some guidance from all the experts here. I am working on one project where I will check the status/health of around ten (10) solaris 10 servers. I have one central server from where I have already setup the passwordless SFTP and setup the cron... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: supercops
1 Replies

8. AIX

New to AIX. Need Guidance

Hi There, I am new to AIX. I am eager to learn the AIX System administration or if there is any other prerequisite before this. Please can anyone help me or guide how to start with AIX, what all courses and certifications do I need to do. I have basic knowledge of UNIX. Please guide as I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulat302
3 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Regarding guidance to learn *NIX more and more

Hello All, This Poll/thread is for views of all forum user regarding following point: There are many people in this forum who are actually not actually working on *NIX(admin or real scripting/automation part) but they are/have learnt scripting and trying to help/guide/advice/sharing... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: RavinderSingh13
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Guidance required in .profile

Not every server I use has bash so I wanted to add an option to check if bash exists. This is what I tried. This is the error message it gives "-bash: '". It works before I add the and option. if ; then echo hi source ~/.bashrc; fi (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies
ELVTUNE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							ELVTUNE(8)

NAME
elvtune - I/O elevator tuner SYNOPSIS
elvtune [-r r_lat] [-w w_lat] [-b b_max] device... elvtune -h elvtune -v DESCRIPTION
elvtune allows to tune the I/O elevator per blockdevice queue basis. The tuning can be safely done at runtime. Tuning the elevator means being able to change disk performance and interactiveness. In the output of elvtune the address of the queue tuned will be shown and it can be considered as a queue ID. For example multiple partitions in the same harddisk will share the same queue and so tuning one partition will be like tuning the whole HD. OPTIONS
-r r_lat set the max latency that the I/O scheduler will provide on each read. -w w_lat set the max latency that the I/O scheduler will provide on each write. -b b_max max coalescing factor allowed on writes when there are reads pending in the queue. -h help. -v version. NOTE
Actually the only fields tunable are those relative to the IO scheduler. It's not possible to select a one-way or two-way elevator yet. For logical blockdevices like LVM the tuning has to be done on the physical devices. Tuning the queue of the LVM logical device is useless. RETURN VALUE
0 on success and 1 on failure. HISTORY
Ioctls for tuning elevator behaviour were added in Linux 2.3.99-pre1. AUTHORS
Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@suse.de> SuSE AVAILABILITY
The elvtune command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. Version 1.0 14 March 2000 ELVTUNE(8)