Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Solved] BASH - chaining TEST and COMMAND with && and II Post 302725379 by hergp on Friday 2nd of November 2012 06:44:54 AM
Old 11-02-2012
As long as the command between && and || has an exit code of 0, the construct works like an if...then...else.

But if not ...

Code:
true && false || echo oops

is not the same as

Code:
if true
then
    false
else
    echo oops
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sleep 10 && command doesn't work

Hi there, I found a trick to easily postpone a command by a few seconds: supernova:~# sleep 10 && command &If you logout, the command should still be executed... But not all the time. Could anyone of you explain me why the following command is executed even after logging out: supernova:~# sleep... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with xterm & tcsh & sourcing a script in a single command

Hi friends, I have a script that sets the env variable path based on different conditions. Now the new path variable setting should not done in the same terminal or same shell. Only a new terminal or new shell should have the new path env variable set. I am able to do this only as follows: >cd... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sowmya005
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP read large string & split in multidimensional arrays & assign fieldnames & write into MYSQL

Hi, I hope the title does not scare people to look into this thread but it describes roughly what I'm trying to do. I need a solution in PHP. I'm a programming beginner, so it might be that the approach to solve this, might be easier to solve with an other approach of someone else, so if you... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace & with & xml file

Hello All I have a xml file with many sets of records like this <mytag>mydata</mytag> <tag2>data&</tag2> also same file can be like this <mytag>mydata</mytag> <tag2>data&</tag2> <tag3>data2&amp;data3</tag3> Now i can grep & and replace with &amp; for whole file but it will replace all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lokaish23
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace & sign to &amp word

Hi, I have text file abc.txt. In this file, I have the following data. Input: Mr Smith &amp Mrs Smith Mr Smith &apos Mrs Smith Mr Smith & Mrs Smith Mr Smith& Mrs Smith Mr Smith &Mrs Smith Output: Mr Smith &amp Mrs Smith Mr Smith &apos Mrs Smith Mr Smith &amp Mrs Smith Mr Smith&amp... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveed
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash aliases and command chaining with ; (semi-colon)

What am I doing wrong here? Or is this not possible? A bug? alias f='find . >found 2>/dev/null &' f ; sleep 20 ; ls -l -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `;' (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: star_man
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[solved] Where & what bash env file, Mac OS?

Hi! I wanted to simplify my bash prompt, so I edited my etc/bashrc file. I thought this was the file that would override any other env files. When I opened it, I saw that the way it was setup was not what my prompt looked like, although I forget exactly what was there. But i edited it the way I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudon't
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read input while another command is running &&

This script runs tshark, then displays the output. I want to read a keypress at all times throughout this script, especially during the 10 seconds that tshark is running. This code however, only takes input before tshark runs. #!/bin/bash main() { while (( "1" == "1" )) ; do keypress &&... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kiah07
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If && command giving wrong output

Hi All, I am trying to run a script which will search for 2 strings(stopped,started) in a text file and echo an output depending on below condition -bash-3.2$ cat trial1.txt v ggg f -bash-3.2$ cat trial1.sh VAR9=` grep 'stopped' /tmp/trial1.txt` VAR10=` grep 'started'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkmish
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP Shell Script Get & Delete && Upload & Delete

Hi All, Do you have any sample script, - auto get file from SFTP remote server and delete file in remove server after downloaded. - only download specify filename - auto upload file from local to SFTP remote server and delete local folder file after uploaded - only upload specify filename ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: weesiong
3 Replies
DH_INSTALLDEB(1)						     Debhelper							  DH_INSTALLDEB(1)

NAME
dh_installdeb - install files into the DEBIAN directory SYNOPSIS
dh_installdeb [debhelperoptions] DESCRIPTION
dh_installdeb is a debhelper program that is responsible for installing files into the DEBIAN directories in package build directories with the correct permissions. FILES
package.postinst package.preinst package.postrm package.prerm These maintainer scripts are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Inside the scripts, the token #DEBHELPER# is replaced with shell script snippets generated by other debhelper commands. package.triggers package.shlibs These control files are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Note that package.shlibs is only installed in compat level 9 and earlier. In compat 10, please use dh_makeshlibs(1). package.conffiles This control file will be installed into the DEBIAN directory. In v3 compatibility mode and higher, all files in the etc/ directory in a package will automatically be flagged as conffiles by this program, so there is no need to list them manually here. package.maintscript Lines in this file correspond to dpkg-maintscript-helper(1) commands and parameters. However, the "maint-script-parameters" should not be included as debhelper will add those automatically. Example: # Correct rm_conffile /etc/obsolete.conf 0.2~ foo # INCORRECT rm_conffile /etc/obsolete.conf 0.2~ foo -- "$@" In compat 10 or later, any shell metacharacters will be escaped, so arbitrary shell code cannot be inserted here. For example, a line such as "mv_conffile /etc/oldconffile /etc/newconffile" will insert maintainer script snippets into all maintainer scripts sufficient to move that conffile. It was also the intention to escape shell metacharacters in previous compat levels. However, it did not work properly and as such it was possible to embed arbitrary shell code in earlier compat levels. The dh_installdeb tool will do some basic validation of some of the commands listed in this file to catch common mistakes. The validation is enabled as a warning since compat 10 and as a hard error in compat 12. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_INSTALLDEB(1)