Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat ifconfig eth0 unplumb equivalent Post 302724945 by Corona688 on Thursday 1st of November 2012 01:16:56 PM
Old 11-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyk
Personally i no longer use ifconfig on Linux.
Code:
$ man ifdown
No manual entry for ifdown
$ ifdown
-bash: ifdown: command not found
$ whereis ifdown
ifdown:
$

All RedHat is Linux, but not all Linux is RedHat.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Adding an IP to eth0

Hi there guys! I have a small task that I have to accomplish, but I don't seem to be able to do that. I have a server that I don't have physical access to, and I mostly control it with webmin. The server is running 2 websites. Both of these websites have their own domains that are linked to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: D-Lexy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ifconfig eth0 and awk and grep

if i have the command ifconfig eth0, what will the output be and how can i use either awk or grep to isolate and display the IP address, subnet mask and physical address of my host (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: carlvernon
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

what is "unplumb"

I saw an example on the web, it is an HP-UX command: ifconfig lan0 unplumb ifconfig lan0 plumb so what is plumb actually, I check HP-UX man page and still no idea. What is the difference if I do in this way? ifconfig lan0 down ifconfig lan0 up :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tommy_cs
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

ifcfg-eth0 and eth1 is N/A

when i finish installed rhel 4.4 to my hp dl585 box, ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-eth1 is not available.when i ifconfig -a,i can not see the eth0 and eth1, only lo0 and si0. Unlike to the other server i found eth0 and eth1 files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/. what will i do? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can I find which one is eth0?

Hi, Just installed Centos 5.1 on HP DL360, on this system I have to close to ten nic's. How can I find which one is eth0? When I do " ifconfig -a" I see all of them, but I can't tell which is eth0? Please advice. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

Device eth0 issue

Hi, I have just installed RHEL 5.4 on a BL430c-class server and I am attempting to connect to the network only when I try and start eth0, I get the following error? "Bringing up Interface eth0: hp device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization." I am using a HP... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
18 Replies

7. Red Hat

VMBox not Recognizing eth0 on RH.

Hello, I re-installed my laptop and installed a new copy of VMBOX, I created a VM Machine with my Rhel5 and a CEntos copy as well. I am using a laptop HP DV4, I use wireless on the laptop. Usually when I boot up in to either machine I would get eht0 and lo as usual now I just don't get... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: NelsonC
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Eth0 Limitations

Hi, I have noticed some performance issues on my RHEL5 server but the memory and CPU utilization on the box is fine. I have a 1G full duplexed eth0 card and I am suspicious that this may be causing the problem. My eth0 settings are as follows: Settings for eth0: Supported ports: ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
12 Replies

9. IP Networking

iptables On for eth0 and off for other interfaces

Hi all, I am running a CentOS 6.4 box as an IDS and I need to configure one interface as the management interface which will require a firewall. However other ports (in promisc mode without IP) will have to be configured such that IPtables allows all traffic. I need to achieve this by editing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: landossa
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

Eth0 not running in redhat 6.4

Hi guys, I really need your help with this. My network interface eth0 is up but not running. I checked udev rules and ifcfg-eth0 files to make sure the mac address are the same. It just would not come up. Please please I will really appreciate the help here. Thank you in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
3 Replies
ifup(8) 																   ifup(8)

NAME
ifup - bring a network interface up ifdown - take a network interface down SYNOPSIS
ifup [-nv] [--no-act] [--verbose] [-i FILE|--interfaces=FILE] [--allow CLASS] -a|IFACE... ifup -h|--help ifup -V|--version ifdown [-nv] [--no-act] [--verbose] [-i FILE|--interfaces=FILE] [--allow CLASS] -a|IFACE... DESCRIPTION
The ifup and ifdown commands may be used to configure (or, respectively, deconfigure) network interfaces based on interface definitions in the file /etc/network/interfaces. OPTIONS
A summary of options is included below. -a, --all If given to ifup, affect all interfaces marked auto. Interfaces are brought up in the order in which they are defined in /etc/net- work/interfaces. If given to ifdown, affect all defined interfaces. Interfaces are brought down in the order in which they are currently listed in the state file. Only interfaces defined in /etc/network/interfaces will be brought down. --force Force configuration or deconfiguration of the interface. -h, --help Show summary of options. --allow=CLASS Only allow interfaces listed in an allow-CLASS line in /etc/network/interfaces to be acted upon. -i FILE, --interfaces=FILE Read interface definitions from FILE instead of from /etc/network/interfaces. -e PATTERN, --exclude=PATTERN Exclude interfaces from the list of interfaces to operate on by the PATTERN. Notice that the PATTERN can be a full interface name or substrings that match interfaces. Users could easily have unexpected behaviour if they use a small string to do the match. -n, --no-act Don't configure any interfaces or run any "up" or "down" commands. --no-mappings Don't run any mappings. See interfaces(5) for more information about the mapping feature. -V, --version Show copyright and version information. -v, --verbose Show commands as they are executed. EXAMPLES
ifup -a Bring up all the interfaces defined with auto in /etc/network/interfaces ifup eth0 Bring up interface eth0 ifup eth0=home Bring up interface eth0 as logical interface home ifdown -a Bring down all interfaces that are currently up. NOTES
ifup and ifdown are actually the same program called by different names. The program does not configure network interfaces directly; it runs low level utilities such as ip to do its dirty work. FILES
/etc/network/interfaces definitions of network interfaces See interfaces(5) for more information. /var/run/network/ifstate current state of network interfaces KNOWN BUGS
/LIMITATIONS The program keeps records of whether network interfaces are up or down. Under exceptional circumstances these records can become inconsis- tent with the real states of the interfaces. For example, an interface that was brought up using ifup and later deconfigured using ifcon- fig will still be recorded as up. To fix this you can use the --force option to force ifup or ifdown to run configuration or deconfigura- tion commands despite what it considers the current state of the interface to be. The file /var/run/network/ifstate must be writable for ifup or ifdown to work properly. On Ubuntu the /var/run location is a temporary filesystem which is always writable and thrown away on shutdown. You can also use the --force option to run configuration or deconfigura- tion commands without updating the file. Note that the program does not run automatically: ifup alone does not bring up interfaces that appear as a result of hardware being installed and ifdown alone does not bring down interfaces that disappear as a result of hardware being removed. To automate the configura- tion of network interfaces you need to install other packages such as hotplug(8) or ifplugd(8). AUTHOR
The ifupdown suite was written by Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au>. SEE ALSO
interfaces(5), ip(8), ifconfig(8). IFUPDOWN
22 May 2004 ifup(8)