Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Seperate columns according to delimiters Post 302724693 by pamu on Thursday 1st of November 2012 07:10:29 AM
Old 11-01-2012
Code:
awk -F- '{$1=$1}1' OFS="\t" file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

row seperate

i have this sample data: test01 --- abc-01 name1 abc-02 name2 abc-03 name3 test02 --- abc-20 name4 abc-21 name5 test03 --- abc-22 name6 abc-23 name7 i want to generate a file... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquirer
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to seperate data

Hello ALL, I really need help to grep data and store in particular format. I am struggling to write that script .Please help me to solve this problem otherwise i will loose my job... I have to compare 2 files and generate the staticts of the data. First file product.dat contains 2 column . ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: getdpg
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Seperate commands on the same line

hello, is there a way to seperate commands that are on the same line? ie: echo "yes count(*)>0:" $passvar > dsp cat dsp cat dsp > log i'm trying to put these 3 commands on the same line, but when i do they all get concatenated into 1 lieteral if i put the cat commands on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobk544
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

seperate elements of a file

i want to write a script in Bash Shell that accept a list of files.an example of file is 4334:234 322.345:32 234:3452 e.t.c each file only contain lines like num1:num2 i want to count the lines of this file and find the summary of X=4334+322.345+234 and Y=234+32+3452 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nektarios4u
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to seperate a variable in 2 variables

Dear all, i dont know how to split one variable value in 2 variable. please send me any example. variable1= "abcde developer" now i want to seperate the values and seperator is space. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: intikhabalam
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting a file with multiple delimiters into columns

Hi All I have recently had to start using Unix for work and I have hit brick wall with this prob.... I have a file that goes a little something like this.... EUR;EUR;EUR:USD:USD;USD;;;EUR/USD;XAU/AUD;XAU/EUR;XAU/AUD,GBP/BOB,UAD/XAU;;;1.11;2.22;3.33;4.44;5.55;6.66;;; is it possible to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: luckycharm
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to seperate two lines that are joined?

i have something like this abc 123 3234 1234 * qqoiki * abc 4533 34 1234 * lloiki * i want to make it two lines i,e.,abc 123 3234 1234 * qqoiki * abc 4533 34 1234 * lloiki * how to do that ? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: anurupa777
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert Columns before the last Column based on the Count of Delimiters

Hi, I have a requirement where in I need to insert delimiters before the last column of the total delimiters is less than a specified number. Say if the delimiters is less than 139, I need to insert 2 columns ( with blanks) before the last field awk -F 'Ç' '{ if (NF-1 < 139)} END { "Insert 2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkesi
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract columns into seperate file

I have a comma delimited file as per the one below and I am currently extracting the values in 2 columns (COL1 & COL6) to produce a smaller trimmed down version of the file which only contains the columns we need; COL1,COL2,COL3,COL4,COL5,COL6,COL7,COL8,COL9... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ads89
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

For loop for seperate files

For shell script. If I had two separate files, file.txt and file1.txt and each has just a list of names from the who command. How would I create an if loop to compare each name? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Eric7giants
1 Replies
PSC(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PSC(1)

NAME
psc - prepare sc files SYNOPSIS
psc [-fLkrSPv] [-s cell] [-R n] [-C n] [-n n] [-d c] DESCRIPTION
Psc is used to prepare data for input to the spreadsheet calculator sc(1). It accepts normal ascii data on standard input. Standard out- put is a sc file. With no options, psc starts the spreadsheet in cell A0. Strings are right justified. All data on a line is entered on the same row; new input lines cause the output row number to increment by one. The default delimiters are tab and space. The column for- mats are set to one larger than the number of columns required to hold the largest value in the column. OPTIONS
-f Omit column width calculations. This option is for preparing data to be merged with an existing spreadsheet. If the option is not specified, the column widths calculated for the data read by psc will override those already set in the existing spreadsheet. -L Left justify strings. -k Keep all delimiters. This option causes the output cell to change on each new delimiter encountered in the input stream. The default action is to condense multiple delimiters to one, so that the cell only changes once per input data item. -r Output the data by row first then column. For input consisting of a single column, this option will result in output of one row with multiple columns instead of a single column spreadsheet. -s cell Start the top left corner of the spreadsheet in cell. For example, -s B33 will arrange the output data so that the spreadsheet starts in column B, row 33. -R n Increment by n on each new output row. -C n Increment by n on each new output column. -n n Output n rows before advancing to the next column. This option is used when the input is arranged in a single column and the spreadsheet is to have multiple columns, each of which is to be length n. -d c Use the single character c as the delimiter between input fields. -P Plain numbers only. A field is a number only when there is no imbedded [-+eE]. -S All numbers are strings. -v Print the version of psc SEE ALSO
sc(1) AUTHOR
Robert Bond PSC 7.16 19 September 2002 PSC(1)