Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove x lines form top and y lines form bottom using AWK? Post 302724659 by cfajohnson on Thursday 1st of November 2012 06:03:19 AM
Old 11-01-2012
Code:
## NAME: topntail
## USAGE: topntail [-b N] [-e N] [FILE ...]

b=1  ## No. of lines to remove from beginning
e=1  ## No. of lines to remove from end

## Parse command-line options
while getopts b:e: opt
do
  case $opt in
      b) b=$OPTARG ;;  ## Number of lines to remove from beginning
      e) e=$OPTARG ;;  ## Number of lines to remove from end
  esac
done
shift $(( $OPTIND - 1 ))

case $b$e in   ## check for non-numeric characters in $b and $e
    *[!0-9]*) exit 5 ;;
esac

if [ $e -eq 0 ]
then
  sed "1,${b}d" "$@"  ## just remove from the top
else
  ## The buf[] array is a rotating buffer which contains the last N lines
  ## where N is the number of lines to be removed from the bottom of the file
  ## Printing starts when the line number is equal to the sum of the number
  ## of lines to be removed from top and bottom, and continues to the end
  ## of the file; the earliest line in the buffer is printed.
  ## The last N lines will not be printed.
  awk 'NR > b + e { print buf[ NR % e ] }
                  { buf[ NR % e ] = $0 }' b=$b e=$e "$@"
fi

This User Gave Thanks to cfajohnson For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing Unix form to Microsoft Word form to be able to email it to someone.

Please someone I need information on how to change a Unix form/document into a microsoft word document in order to be emailed to another company. Please help ASAP. Thankyou :confused: (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cheraunm
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random lines selection form a file.

>cat data.dat 0001 Robbert 0002 Nick 0003 Mark ....... 1000 Jarek (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: McLan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract visually blank lines form the file

Hi, Could some one help me to get rid of visually blank lines from a file using shell or awk or sed (on Solaris machine)? When I use grep grep -v ^$ inputfile >outputfile it removes some blank lines.. but it seems some tab plus space balnk lines remains. thaen I used "grep -v '^]*$' ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hadsuresh
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep for a particular pattern and remove few lines above top and bottom of the patter

grep for a particular pattern and remove 5 lines above the pattern and 6 lines below the pattern root@server1 # cat filename Shell Programming and Scripting test1 Shell Programminsada asda dasd asd Shell Programming and Scripting Post New Thread Shell Programming and S sadsa ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
17 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete lines form file

Hi i am writing a cron job. in this script i need to delete some line which is match with some pattern. following code i written for deletion sed '1,'$Max_LIneNo' d' myfile.txt >tempfile.tmp mv tempfile.tmp myfile.txt this command is working fine but the problem is that after this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Himanshu_soni
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose Data form Different form

HI Guys, I have data in File A.txt RL03 RL03_A_1 RL03_B_1 RL03_C_1 RL03 -119.8 -119.5 -119.5 RL07 RL07_A_1 RL07_B_1 RL07_C_1 RL07 -119.3 -119.5 -119.5 RL15 RL15_A_1 RL15_C_1 RL15 -120.5 -119.4 RL16... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print n lines from top and n lines from bottom of all files with .log extenstion

Oracle Linux 6.4 In a directory I have more than 300 files with the extension .log I want the first 5 and last 5 lines of these .log files to be printed on screen with each file's name. Expected output : Printing first 5 and last 5 lines of FX_WT_Feb8_2014.log !! Authentication... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove top and bottom for each column

Dear All I was wondering if someone could help me in resolving an issue. I have a file like this: column1 column2 2 4 3 5 8 9 0 12 0 0 0 0 9 0 87 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 4 0 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: giuliangiuseppe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove lines that do not start with digit and combine line or lines

I have been searching and trying to come up with an awk that will perform the following on a converted text file (original is a pdf). 1. Since the first two lines are (begin with) text they are removed 2. if $1 is a number then all text is merged (combined) into one line until the next... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)						    Git Manual							 GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)

NAME
git-stripspace - Remove unnecessary whitespace SYNOPSIS
git stripspace [-s | --strip-comments] < input DESCRIPTION
Clean the input in the manner used by Git for text such as commit messages, notes, tags and branch descriptions. With no arguments, this will: o remove trailing whitespace from all lines o collapse multiple consecutive empty lines into one empty line o remove empty lines from the beginning and end of the input o add a missing to the last line if necessary. In the case where the input consists entirely of whitespace characters, no output will be produced. NOTE: This is intended for cleaning metadata, prefer the --whitespace=fix mode of git-apply(1) for correcting whitespace of patches or files in the repository. OPTIONS
-s, --strip-comments Skip and remove all lines starting with comment character (default #). -c, --comment-lines Prepend comment character and blank to each line. Lines will automatically be terminated with a newline. On empty lines, only the comment character will be prepended. EXAMPLES
Given the following noisy input with $ indicating the end of a line: |A brief introduction $ | $ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line $ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out. $ | $ |The end.$ | $ Use git stripspace with no arguments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out.$ |$ |The end.$ Use git stripspace --strip-comments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |The end.$ GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.3.1 06/10/2014 GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)