Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sorting by length
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sorting by length Post 302724585 by Yoda on Thursday 1st of November 2012 12:12:16 AM
Old 11-01-2012
This thread might help.

Note that for reverse order sorting you can use sort -nr
This User Gave Thanks to Yoda For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a fixed length output from a variable length input

Is there a command that sets a variable length? I have a input of a variable length field but my output for that field needs to be set to 32 char. Is there such a command? I am on a sun box running ksh Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: r1500
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed working on lines of small length and not large length

Hi , I have a peculiar case, where my sed command is working on a file which contains lines of small length. sed "s/XYZ:1/XYZ:3/g" abc.txt > xyz.txt when abc.txt contains lines of small length(currently around 80 chars) , this sed command is working fine. when abc.txt contains lines of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thanuman
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What the command to find out the record length of a fixed length file?

I want to find out the record length of a fixed length file? I forgot the command. Any body know? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tranq01
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Conditional sorting on fixed length flat file

I have a fixed length file that need to be sorted according to the following rule IF B=1 ORDER by A,B Else ORDER by A,C Input file is ABC 131 112 122 231 212 222 Output needed ABC 112 131 122 212 231 222 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zsk_00
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting words based on length

i need to write a bash script that recive a list of varuables kaka pele ronaldo beckham zidane messi rivaldo gerrard platini i need the program to print the longest word of the list. word in the output appears on a separate line and word order in the output is in the order Llachsicografi costs.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yairpg
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Flat file-make field length equal to header length

Hello Everyone, I am stuck with one issue while working on abstract flat file which i have to use as input and load data to table. Input Data- ------ ------------------------ ---- ----------------- WFI001 Xxxxxx Control Work Item A Number of Records ------ ------------------------... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonali.s.more
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting on length with identification of number of characters

Hello, I am writing an open-source stemmer in Java for Indic languages which admit a large number of suffixes. The Java stemmer requires that each suffix string be sorted as per its length and that all strings of the same length are arranged in a single group, sorted alphabetically. Moreover as a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting a file with frequency on length

Hello, I have a file which has the following structure word space Frequency The file is around 30,000 headwords each along with its frequency. The words have different lengths. What I need is a PERL or AWK script which can sort the file on length of the headword and once the file is sorted on... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert variable length record to fixed length

Hi Team, I have an issue to split the file which is having special chracter(German Char) using awk command. I have a different length records in a file. I am separating the files based on the length using awk command. The command is working fine if the record is not having any... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anthuvan
7 Replies
Net::LDAP::Control::Sort(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			       Net::LDAP::Control::Sort(3)

NAME
Net::LDAP::Control::Sort - Server Side Sort (SSS) control object SYNOPSIS
use Net::LDAP::Control::Sort; use Net::LDAP::Constant qw(LDAP_CONTROL_SORTRESULT); $sort = Net::LDAP::Control::Sort->new( order => "cn -phone" ); $mesg = $ldap->search( @args, control => [ $sort ]); ($resp) = $mesg->control( LDAP_CONTROL_SORTRESULT ); print "Results are sorted " if $resp and !$resp->result; DESCRIPTION
"Net::LDAP::Control::Sort" is a sub-class of Net::LDAP::Control. It provides a class for manipulating the LDAP Server Side Sort (SSS) request control 1.2.840.113556.1.4.473 as defined in RFC-2891 If the server supports sorting, then the response from a search operation will include a sort result control. This control is handled by Net::LDAP::Control::SortResult. CONSTRUCTOR ARGUMENTS
order A string which defines how entries may be sorted. It consists of multiple directives, spearated by whitespace. Each directive describes how to sort entries using a single attribute. If two entries have identical attributes, then the next directive in the list is used. Each directive specifies a sorting order as follows -attributeType:orderingRule The leading "-" is optional, and if present indicates that the sorting order should be reversed. "attributeType" is the attribute name to sort by. "orderingRule" is optional and indicates the rule to use for the sort and should be valid for the given "attributeType". Any one attributeType should only appear once in the sorting list. Examples "cn" sort by cn using the default ordering rule for the cn attribute "-cn" sort by cn using the reverse of the default ordering rule "age cn" sort by age first, then by cn using the default ordering rules "cn:1.2.3.4" sort by cn using the ordering rule defined as 1.2.3.4 METHODS
As with Net::LDAP::Control each constructor argument described above is also available as a method on the object which will return the current value for the attribute if called without an argument, and set a new value for the attribute if called with an argument. SEE ALSO
Net::LDAP, Net::LDAP::Control::SortResult, Net::LDAP::Control, http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2891.txt AUTHOR
Graham Barr <gbarr@pobox.com> Please report any bugs, or post any suggestions, to the perl-ldap mailing list <perl-ldap@perl.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1999-2004 Graham Barr. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.1 2010-03-12 Net::LDAP::Control::Sort(3)