Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Print array into a single file - AWK Post 302724297 by Corona688 on Wednesday 31st of October 2012 01:07:05 PM
Old 10-31-2012
NR and FNR are special variables in awk. NR means the total number of records processed, FNR is the number of records read from the current file. When they are identical, that means you are in the very first file and nowhere else.

I use that to load the list of stuff to translate into awk, stuffing it into an array like T["AAA"]="-10" Then the 'next' tells it to skip to the next line, preventing it from running any of the code below.

For all the other files, it checks if the array T has anything with an index identical to column 8. $8 in T ...and if it does, it just overwrites column 8 with the contents of the array. $8=T[$8]

Then it prints the entire line to the file FILENAME ".aaa". FILENAME is a special variable which names the current file. Putting two strings together like this concatenates them. So if the current file is file1, it will write to "file1.aaa".
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk to print ' (single quotes)

I'm building a file with sql delete statements. I need to print the single quotes for the where clause. i.e. delete from Command where CommandName = 'SomeName'; I have the following in my script input=$(pwd)/Cmnd.csv i=0 while read line do if test $i -ge 1; then ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: orahi001
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing single elements of a awk array in END

How do I access one of the indices in array tst with the code below? tst=sprintf("%5.2f",Car / 12) When I scan thru the array with for ( i in tst ) { print i,tst } I get the output of: vec-7 144 But when I try this in the END print tst It looks like it's not set. What am... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: timj123
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to print single quote in awk

Hi all, It is a very stupid problem but I am not able to find a solution to it. I am using awk to get a column from a file and I want to get the output field in between single quotes. For example, Input.txt 123 abc 321 ddff 433 dfg ........ I want output file to be as ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gauravgoel
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to print single quote using awk

i want to print ' symbol using awk i tried: awk '{print " ' "}' awk '{print "\' "}' both not work please help me. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk problem: How to express the single quote(') by using awk print function

Actually I got a list of file end with *.txt I want to use the same command apply to all the *.txt Thus I try to find out the fastest way to write those same command in a script and then want to let them run automatics. For example: I got the file below: file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

URGENT! single apex in awk print

cat a | awk -F";" '{print "update db set column=' "$2" ' where column1=\""$1"\";"}' > ip-add.sql Hi! I'm a new user! i've an urgent help on the single apex use in the double apex print string The apex between che "$2" should not be interpreted, but....how?! I'm trying to use \ but don't work... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Re DeL SiLeNziO
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: print matrix from single array

I am creating a report in groff and need to format data from a file into a table cell. Sample data: dador,173323,bpt,jsp,39030013338878,1 dador,173323,brew,jsp,39030013338860,1 dador,173323,brew,jsp,39030013339447,1 dador,173323,brew,jsp,39030013339538,1 I would like to build a table... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bubnoff
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do you print a single quote character in AWK

How do you print out a single quote character in AWK? Using the escape character does not seem to work. {printf "%1$s %2$s%3$s%2$s\n" , "INCLUDE", " \' ", "THIS" } does not work. Any suggestions? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cold_Que
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl question - How do I print contents of an array on a single line?

I have the following code: print @testarray; which returns: 8 8 8 9 How do I return the array like this: The output is: 8, 8, 8, 9 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: streetfighter2
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not getting array in .awk file and print it

I have test.sh file as below : set -A IDARR $ID echo | awk -f test.awk -v TempArr="${IDARR }" I have test.awk file as below : BEGIN { Flag = 1; } { print "Hello"; for(i in TempArr) { print i; } } (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nes
9 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgawk | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Volatile | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gawk is available on http://opensolaris.org. Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)