Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users network configuration on openbsd Post 302723797 by kvok on Tuesday 30th of October 2012 07:41:55 PM
Old 10-30-2012
network configuration on openbsd

Hi all,
I got following configuration problem

I need to configure tiny network on openbsd
I got server1 with 3 interfaces vic0 em0 em1

The interface vic0 on server1 has follwoing IP 172.16.1.1

em0
firstly I would like to configure network under em0 (I have assigned to em0 following ip: 192.168.1.1 )
in this network I want to configure 2 pC (server2 and server3)
I have created on pc2 /etc/hostname.vic0 with entry inet 192.168.1.2
the same on pc3 /etc/hostname.vic0 with entry inet 192.168.1.3

all interfaces were restarted (on server1 and on pc2 & pc3) and they cant see each other.

is there anything what I forgot to configure or restart ?
Thanks

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

HP-UX Network Configuration

Hi, I have installed a HP-UX B.11.00 U 9000/800 Server in one of the domain. And I'm also able to telnet/ping into this server from systems in the same domain. But I'm not able to telnet/ping into this server from a different domain. So, what shoud need to do to achieve this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: S.Vishwanath
6 Replies

2. IP Networking

OpenBSD + Network +ifconfig

This feels really silly, but i just dont get it.. I just installed openbsd on one of my machines, usually i dont have this problem, but now, when i try to use ifconfig to give myself an ipadress, i get this errormsg: OpenAMD# ifconfig ep0 192.168.51.16 ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS: Device not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: CopyWrong
5 Replies

3. Solaris

network configuration

hi again... i configured my network settings sometiime ago using the sys-unconfig command.the active link was rtls0. there was some problem with the network so i changed the ISP. now when im trying to reconfigure the system wit sys-unconfig, it tries to configure the network on rtls1 (and shows... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: strider
1 Replies

4. SCO

Network Configuration

I have a SCO 5.07 Server and I am trying to get it on my network. I have edited the /etc/hosts file and /etc/rc2.d/s99route . I has connectivity on the NIC card but not sure if I am forgetting another file. Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrewd
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

network configuration

I am using solaris 10, my internet works alright but each time i reboot i keep loosing my connection. I will have to use the ifconfig iprb0 192.168.1.xx netmask 255.255.255.0 up and Route add default 192.168.1.xxx command to gain back my internet. I know there is a better way of addressing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: seyiisq
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Network configuration

Hi I have installed Solaris 5.10 on Intel x86 machine (standalone). I want to access internet through solaris. How should I configure the network? Is static IP or DHCP advisable? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnl
5 Replies

7. BSD

PF OpenBSD Network Monitoring

Hi, Though I have some Linux background I'm new to BSD. Currently I'm administering an OpenBSD 5.3 firewall which based on PF. I want to view my LAN's top talkers to the internet. If it is a graphical method that's better but I like to know whether it is possible through a command like pfctl.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amithad
3 Replies
DHCLIENT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       DHCLIENT(8)

NAME
dhclient -- Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) client SYNOPSIS
dhclient [-bdqu] [-c file] [-l file] [-p file] interface DESCRIPTION
The dhclient utility provides a means for configuring network interfaces using DHCP, BOOTP, or if these protocols fail, by statically assign- ing an address. The name of the network interface that dhclient should attempt to configure must be specified on the command line. The options are as follows: -b Forces dhclient to immediately move to the background. -c file Specify an alternate location, file, for the configuration file. -d Forces dhclient to always run as a foreground process. By default, dhclient runs in the foreground until it has configured the interface, and then will revert to running in the background. -l file Specify an alternate location, file, for the leases file. -p file Specify an alternate location for the PID file. The default is /var/run/dhclient.interface.pid. -q Forces dhclient to be less verbose on startup. -u Forces dhclient to reject leases with unknown options in them. The default behaviour is to accept such lease offers. The DHCP protocol allows a host to contact a central server which maintains a list of IP addresses which may be assigned on one or more sub- nets. A DHCP client may request an address from this pool, and then use it on a temporary basis for communication on the network. The DHCP protocol also provides a mechanism whereby a client can learn important details about the network to which it is attached, such as the loca- tion of a default router, the location of a name server, and so on. On startup, dhclient reads /etc/dhclient.conf for configuration instructions. It then gets a list of all the network interfaces that are configured in the current system. It then attempts to configure each interface with DHCP. In order to keep track of leases across system reboots and server restarts, dhclient keeps a list of leases it has been assigned in the /var/db/dhclient.leases.IFNAME file. IFNAME represents the network interface of the DHCP client (e.g., em0), one for each interface. On startup, after reading the dhclient.conf(5) file, dhclient reads the leases file to refresh its memory about what leases it has been assigned. Old leases are kept around in case the DHCP server is unavailable when dhclient is first invoked (generally during the initial system boot process). In that event, old leases from the dhclient.leases.IFNAME file which have not yet expired are tested, and if they are determined to be valid, they are used until either they expire or the DHCP server becomes available. A mobile host which may sometimes need to access a network on which no DHCP server exists may be preloaded with a lease for a fixed address on that network. When all attempts to contact a DHCP server have failed, dhclient will try to validate the static lease, and if it succeeds, it will use that lease until it is restarted. A mobile host may also travel to some networks on which DHCP is not available but BOOTP is. In that case, it may be advantageous to arrange with the network administrator for an entry on the BOOTP database, so that the host can boot quickly on that network rather than cycling through the list of old leases. NOTES
You must have the Berkeley Packet Filter (BPF) configured in your kernel. The dhclient utility requires at least one /dev/bpf* device for each broadcast network interface that is attached to your system. See bpf(4) for more information. FILES
/etc/dhclient.conf DHCP client configuration file /var/db/dhclient.leases.IFNAME database of acquired leases SEE ALSO
dhclient.conf(5), dhclient.leases(5), dhclient-script(8) AUTHORS
The dhclient utility was written by Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com> and Elliot Poger <elliot@poger.com>. The current implementation was reworked by Henning Brauer <henning@openbsd.org>. BSD
October 13, 2011 BSD