Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Attempting to pass my array as a nested parameter to loop. A little lost. Post 302723769 by briandanielz on Tuesday 30th of October 2012 05:38:01 PM
Old 10-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
pls post relevant info like execution logs, error msgs, (part) contents of variables, arrays, files...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
pls post relevant info like execution logs, error msgs, (part) contents of variables, arrays, files...
Its a two part problem

So this .sh is the array that works fine (I think ) for what I need it to do.

Code:
#!/bin/bash 

IFS=$'\n' 
fortune_lines=($(fortune | fold -w 30))

for var in "${fortune_lines[@]}"
do
  echo "${var}"
done

but I want to append that array into a loop that would look like this (its not working - and I really have no idea what the next step should be to make this work ) but here is a rough idea

Code:
#!/bin/bash 

IFS=$'\n' 
fortune_lines=($(fortune | fold -w 30))
Screen_Session=$(mainscreen)
Screen_OneLiner=$(screen -p 0 -S ${Screen_Session} -X stuff "`printf "say ${fortune_lines[@]}\r"`")

for var in "${Screen_OneLiner[@]}"
do
  echo "${var}"
done

Then when executed I get a black window, in the bottom bar it says
"cannot exec stuff"

Then the terminal that I am
Code:
./

the .sh from prints and drops back to the prompt
Code:
 line 5: mainscreen: command not found
[screen is terminating]

Other info
I am starting my screen session (Screen version 4.00.03 (FAU) 23-Oct-06
) using
Code:
screen -S mainscreen

and the bash version I am using is
GNU bash, version 3.2.48(1)-release (x86_64-apple-darwin12)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dsl connections lost when attempting to retrieve mail from my server.

suse linux 6.4 im running and i have port 110 for pop and smtp open, i have set up some email addresses for my friends, but they recieve errors saying that relaying is denied. i know this is to prevent spamming software from using my domain to send spam, but how do i let my users send their mail?... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: norsk hedensk
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass a parameter

Hi all, How to pass a parameter from a oracle pl/sql procedure parameter to shell environment and use it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megh
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP: Search Multi-Dimensional(nested) array and export values of currenly worked on array.

Hi All, I'm writing a nagios check that will see if our ldap servers are in sync... I got the status data into a nested array, I would like to search key of each array and if "OK" is NOT present, echo other key=>values in the current array to a variable so...eg...let take the single array... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zeekblack
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to pass the parameter value to a... ?

Hello I have a simple code like this one: #!/bin/ksh VER=$1 cat /usr/text | while read line do echo $line done Let's say $1=1.0.0 and the contents of text is: abcd.cfg asdf I would like the output to be like this abcd1.0.0.cfg asdf1.0.0 I am thinking of passing the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: khestoi
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass parameter

Hi, I have following for loop , please let me know how to get ${TXP_EXT_TABLE_${i}_SQL} parameter with 1DAY and 7DAY values. for i in 1DAY 7DAY do ${NZSQL_DIR}/nzsql -h ${HOST} -time -v ON_ERROR_STOP=1 -f ${SQL_DIR}/${TXP_EXT_TABLE_${i}_SQL} > ${TMP_LOG_FILE} 2>&1 done ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy162
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop using array:wish to store array values from loop for use outside loop

Here's my code: awk -F '' 'NR==FNR { if (/time/ && $5>10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":"($5-01) else if (/time/ && $5<01) A=$2" "$3":"$4-01":"(59-$5) else if (/time/ && $5<=10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":0"($5-01) else if (/close/) { B=0 n1=n2; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klane
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass array to a function and display the array

Hi All I have multiple arrays like below. set -A val1 1 2 4 5 set -A val2 a b c d . . . Now i would like to pass the individual arrays one by one to a function and display/ do some action. Note : I am using ksh Can you please advise any solution... Thanks in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Girish19
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass function parameter to do loop?

Hi All, I have created one function for KSH and was running well with one parameter input since I just had to use $1 to get the parameter. Now I want to do loop for each parameter(actually filenames) . I have try to use do loop, but $i does not resolve to parameter instead it resolves to 1,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mysocks
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

The Shell lost the inverted comma in a nested ssh command

Hi, i want use this Comand for my psql request sh ssh -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no rootatemailaddress.de sudo psql -U postgres -c "select pg_terminate_backend(pid) from pg_stat_activity where datnam=\'$DB\';"'" but the shell lost the inverted comma for datnam=\'$DB\'. The request deliver... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterpane007
2 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)