Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to replace special characters? Post 302723753 by ken002 on Tuesday 30th of October 2012 04:47:10 PM
Old 10-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotne
Are they at a fixed location in the line?
Eks:after number, but before |
No, they are in fixed field but the field's content changed
ken002

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace Special characters in a file

Hi, I have a data like this in a file, 402003279034002000100147626030003300010000000000002000029000000 ær^M^\MÍW^H I need to replace those special char to some other char like # or $ Is there any ways to do it... I tried commands tr,sed and many but it was not able to replace because... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solai
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace special characters in a file

HI All I need a shell script ehich removes all special characters from file and converts the file to UTF-* format Specail characters to be removed must be configurable. strIllegal = @"?/><,:;""'{|\\+=-)(*&^%$#@!~`"; Please help me in getting this script as my scripting skilla are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujithchandra
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace special characters

Hi everyone I have file1 contains: '7832' ' 8765 6543 I want a sed command that will format as: '7832' , '8765' , '6543' I tried sed -e s/\'//g -e 's/^*//;s/*$//' file1 > file2 sed -e :a -e '$!N; s/\n/ /; ta' file2 which gives: 7832 8765 6543 I need some help to continue with... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimo
5 Replies

4. Solaris

How to replace special characters in vi?

Hi , I want to replace the special characters in the file. For eg: cat abc 1234/4455/acb 234/k/lll/ 234`fs`fd I want to replace / and ` with the letter a and the output should like below. How to achieve this. 1234a4455aacb 234akallla 234afsafd (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters

I have a line ending with special character and 0 The special character is the field separator for this line in VI mode the file will look like below, but while cat the special character wont display i know the hexa code for the special character ^_ is \x1f and ascii code is \0037, ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshjulk
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with backslash and character

Hi, I have a string wherein i need to replace special characters with backslash and that character. Ex: If my string is a=qwerty123@!, then the new string should be a_new=qwerty123\@\!\, Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: temp_user
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to replace the string with special characters

{"name":"alR_pl-ENVIRONMENT_192_168_211_123_sDK_PROVISION_7","description":"aLR_pl-ENVIRONMENT_192_168_211_123_sDK_PROVISION_7","json_class":"Chef::Role","default_attributes":{},"override_attributes":{"yoapp":{"jboss":"5.1.0","port":"2243","warname":"soap","datacenter":"alR","ip":"192.168.211.123","... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to replace special characters?

Hi Team, I have data like this. |*|.5|*|0.2|*|A.B|*| Would like to add zero (0) before the decimal point where there is no zero as |*|0.5|*|0.2|*|A.B|*| How to replace |*|. with |*|0. I tried below command which didn't work echo '|*|.5|*|0.2|*|A.B|*' | sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi.K
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace Pattern with another that has Special Characters

Hello Team, Any help would be much appreciated for the below scenario: I have a sed command below where I am trying to replace the contents of 'old_pkey' variable with 'new_pkey' variable in a Soap request file (delete_request.txt). This works fine for regular string values, but this new_pkey... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChicagoBlues
8 Replies
makedbm(8yp)															      makedbm(8yp)

Name
       makedbm - make a yellow pages dbm file

Syntax
       makedbm [ -i yp_input_file ] [ -o yp_output_name ] [ -d yp_domain_name ] [ -m yp_master_name ] infile outfile
       makedbm [ -u dbmfilename ]

Description
       The command takes the file specified by the argument infile and converts it to a pair of files in format, namely and Each line of the input
       file is converted to a single record.  All characters up to the first tab or space form the key, and the rest of the line is defined as the
       key's  associated data.	If a line ends with a backslash (), the data for that record is continued onto the next line.	It is left for the
       clients of the yellow pages to interpret the number sign (#); does not treat it as a comment character.	The  infile  parameter	can  be  a
       hyphen (-), in which case reads the standard input.

The  command  is  meant	to  be	used in generating files for the yellow pages service.	The command generates a special entry with the key
       yp_last_modified, which is the date of infile.

Options
       -i     Create a special entry with the key yp_input_file.

-o     Create a special entry with the key yp_output_name.

-d     Create a special entry with the key yp_domain_name.

-m     Create a special entry with the key yp_master_name.  If no master host name is specified, yp_master_name will be set  to	the  local
	      host name.

-u     Undo a file.  That is, print out a file one entry per line, with a single space separating keys from values.

Examples
       The  following  example shows how a combination of commands can be used to make the yellow pages files and from the file.  The percent sign
       (%) signifies the system prompt.

% awk 'BEGIN { FS = ":"; OFS = ""; }
	{ print $1, $0 }' /etc/passwd > ptmp
       % makedbm ptmp passwd.byname
       % rm ptmp

The command creates the file ptmp which is in a form usable by The command uses the ptmp file to create the yellow pages dbm files and  The
       command removes the ptmp file.

See Also
       yppasswd(1yp), dbm(3x), ypmake(8yp)

makedbm(8yp)