Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Regular Expression to match files in Perl Post 302723721 by Hax0rc1ph3r on Tuesday 30th of October 2012 03:53:09 PM
Old 10-30-2012
Regular Expression to match files in Perl

Hi Everybody!

I need some help with a regular expression in Perl that will match files named messages, but also files named message.1, message.2 and so on. So really I need one that will find messages and messages that might be followed by a period and a digit without matching other files like messages.txt.

Here is the regular expression that I have come up with:
Code:
 if($file =~ /messages[.][0-9]/)

Using the regular expression above I am able to match the messages.1, message.2 files, but it will not pick up messages without the period and digit on the end.

O'Reilly School Of Technology(University of Illinois), Urbana-Champaign, IL USA, Kelly Hoover, Linux/Unix 4: Scripting for Administrators Sed, Awk, and Perl "http://www.oreillyschool.com/certificates/sysadmin.php"

Thanks!!!Smilie

--Hax0rc1ph3r--

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exact match with regular expression

Hi I have a file with data arranged into columns. The first column is the chromosome name. When I use grep to subset only rows with chr1, I get chr1 but also chr10, chr11,.. How do I get only rows with chr1? grep chr1 filein > fileout head fileout chr1 59757841 chr11 108258691 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdhahbi
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression match

Hi all, any idea how to match the following: char*<no or any string or space> buf and char *<no or any string or space> buf i need to capture the buf characters too. currently i need two checks to cover this: #search char* <any string> buf or char *<any string> buf @noarray =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChaMeN
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression match

I am trying to match a similar line using grep with regular expression the line is /remote/mac/pbbbb/abc/def/hij/hop/include/abc/tif/element/test/testfiles/Office.cpp:57: const OfficeType& getType().get() const; I just need to extract the bold characters using grep with regular expression.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasbala
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl regular expression - To match a Dynamic URL

Hello All, I have a requirement to match a dynamic url and extract each of the directory and page and store it -Only PERL style Regular EXP as it will be used in informatica - REG_EXTRACT function Example Input URLs: 1)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jambesh
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression exact match

hi everyone suppose we have two scenario echo ABCD | grep \{4\} DATE echo SYSDATE | grep \{4\} SYSDATE i want to match the string of four length only please help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a regular expression and match in two (or more files) using bash

Dear all, I have a specific problem that I don't quite understand how to solve. I have two files, both of the same format: XXXXXX_FIND1 bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla ======== (return) XXXXXX_FIND2 bla bla bla bla bla bla (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheTransporter
10 Replies

7. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: Splitting A large File into smaller files based on recursive Regular Expression match

I will simplify the explaination a bit, I need to parse through a 87m file - I have a single text file in the form of : <NAME>house........ SOMETEXT SOMETEXT SOMETEXT . . . . </script> MORETEXT MORETEXT . . . (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumguy
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl split match regular expression with or

I cannot seem to get this to work correct: my ($k, $v) = split(/F/, $fc{$DIR}{symbolic}, 2); Below is the input (the $fc{$DIR}{symbolic} variable): QMH2562 FW:v5.06.03 DVR:v8.03.07.15.05.09-kbut i also need it to break on FV: Emulex NC553i FV4.2.401.6 DV8.3.5.86.2pthe code above... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rusted_planet
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression match

echo 20110101 | awk '{ print match($0,/^((17||18||19||20)|)-*(|0|1)-*(|0||3)$/)) I am getting a match for the above, where as it shouldn't, as there is no hyphen in the echoed date. Another question is what is the difference between || and | in the above statement (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
4 Replies
RMM(1)                                                               [nmh-1.5]                                                              RMM(1)

NAME
rmm - remove messages SYNOPSIS
rmm [+folder] [msgs] [-unlink | -nounlink] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
By default, rmm will remove the specified messages by renaming each of the message files with a site-dependent prefix (usually a comma). Such files will then need to be removed in some manner after a certain amount of time. Many sites arrange for cron to remove these files once a day, so check with your system administrator. Alternately, if you wish for rmm to really remove the files representing these messages, you can use the -unlink switch. But messages removed by this method cannot be later recovered. If you prefer a more sophisticated method of `removing' messages, you can define the rmmproc profile component. For example, you can add a profile component such as rmmproc: /home/foouser/bin/rmm_msgs then instead of simply renaming the message file, rmm will call the named program or script to handle the files that represent the messages to be deleted. Some users of csh prefer the following: alias rmm 'refile +d' where folder `+d' is a folder for deleted messages, and alias mexp 'rm `mhpath +d all`' is used to "expunge" deleted messages. The current message is not changed by rmm, so a next will advance to the next message in the folder as expected. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder rmmproc: Program to delete the message SEE ALSO
refile(1), rmf(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder `msgs' defaults to cur `-nounlink' CONTEXT
If a folder is given, it will become the current folder. BUGS
Since refile uses your rmmproc to delete the message, the rmmproc must NOT call refile without specifying -normmproc, or you will create an infinte loop. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 RMM(1)