Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux SuSE Load Balancing 2 web servers after removing the ACE Post 302723679 by dvbell on Tuesday 30th of October 2012 02:18:57 PM
Old 10-30-2012
Load Balancing 2 web servers after removing the ACE

We have 2 internal web servers that are being load balanced round robin by an ACE. The ACE is going away and will not be replaced with an appliance.

My boss would like to have the 2 internal web servers receive the http requests and decide between them which will actually handle the request in a round robin configuration without adding an additional server or appliance into the equation. This would eliminate a single point of failure, the appliance, and if one of the servers goes down the other will continue to service the http requests.

I'm told that Windows does NLB with a few clicks between 2 servers and doesn't require using a third device like the ACE.

Is this possible to configure on Linux? Is there software to make this happen or can it be done with only the OS? We are using SUSE SLES 11 SP2. Thanks. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How can I use DNS Server to Load Balancing my Web Servers ??

Anyone can give me some idea about DNS Server Configuration that I want to load balancing my Web Servers . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ottobian
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about load balancing

If you have two or more servers load balancing, are the servers mirroring one another? If images, etc., are uploaded, will they be stored on all the servers so that if one server goes down, the images will be served up by another server? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wvmlt
1 Replies

3. Ubuntu

perlbal and load balancing

Hi guys, I wonder if someone would be able to assist with my problem. I have just set up a load balancer for a company I am working for. HTTP redirection is working fine, however they also want to load balance SSH and FTP too. At the moment the perlbal config looks like; CREATE POOL webhttp ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JayC89
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Load balancing with IPMP

Is it possible to do a load balancing ( incoming and outgoing )with with IPMP in solaris 10 like sun trunking ? If yes what are the steps involved in it , i know how to do the failover IPMP both link based and probe based but i 'm looking for possible load balancing (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
3 Replies

5. Web Development

Load Balancing in Apache

Hi All, I have one webserver which has an application for a set of internal users can be accessed by _http://server1.com I am planning to load balance this application. For that I have cloned this server and build a new one which can be accessed using _http://server2.com]Server2.com. Also i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
2 Replies

6. Linux

HTTP load balancing.

Hi, We have 2 pools of servers. Lets call them A and B and they would contain 2 servers each. Pool A will be hosting www.example.com/app/v1 and pool B will be hosting www.example.com/app/v2. Clients will be requesting right url (/v1 or /v2) but will be hitting just one IP. I'd like to: 1)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisfb
3 Replies

7. IP Networking

Load Balancing ppp

Hello everybody How can i Load Balance two slow ppp(gprs) connections with iptables . (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rink
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help in MQ load balancing

Hi, Currently we have 3 old and 3 new servers catering to Live traffic. As my component move from legacy interfaces to MQ one, we want to have load balancing of old interfaces available on MQ interface as well. For this, we want to send only 30% of all MQ traffic on 3 OLD Live servers, and want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: senkerth
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Load balancing in Autosys

Hi, I am working on development project where I have to migrate many jobs from Tidal to Autosys R11. During this project we came across the following requirements. 1. There are 3 real machines. There could be many jobs activated simultaneously, but only one job should execute at a time and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujeetp
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Load Balancing in UNIX

Dear All, Can any one help me for this request? There is a case. I have 20 files which I need to FTP to 5 servers. I want to know if there is any possibility to make a load balancer which transfers files in round robin manner to 5 servers. As per theoretical algorithm, what I think, flow can... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaib
9 Replies
PEN(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PEN(1)

NAME
pen - Load balancer for "simple" tcp based protocols SYNOPSIS
pen [-b sec] [-S N] [-c N] [-e host:port] [-t sec] [-x N] [-j dir] [-u user] [-F cfgfile] [-l logfile] [-p file ] [-w file] [-C port] [-T sec] [-HWXadfhnrs] [-o option] [-E certfile] [-K keyfile] [-G cacertfile] [-A cacertdir] [-Z] [-R] [-L protocol] [host:]port h1[:p1[:maxc1[:hard1[:weight1[:prio1]]]]] [h2[:p2[:maxc2[:hard2[:weight2[:prio2]]]]]] ... EXAMPLE
pen 80 www1:8000:10 www2:80:10 www3 Here three servers cooperate in a web server farm. Host www1 runs its web server on port 8000 and accepts a maximum of 10 simultaneous con- nections. Host www2 runs on port 80 and accepts 10 connections. Finally, www3 runs its web server on port 80 and allows an unlimited num- ber of simultaneous connections. DESCRIPTION
Pen is a load balancer for tcp based protocols such as http or smtp. It allows several servers to appear as one to the outside and automat- ically detects servers that are down and distributes clients among the available servers. This gives high availability and scalable perfor- mance. The load balancing algorithm keeps track of clients and will try to send them back to the server they visited the last time. The client ta- ble has a number of slots (default 2048, settable through command-line arguments). When the table is full, the least recently used one will be thrown out to make room for the new one. This is superior to a simple round-robin algorithm, which sends a client that connects repeatedly to different servers. Doing so breaks applications that maintain state between connections in the server, including most modern web applications. When pen detects that a server is unavailable, it scans for another starting with the server after the most recently used one. That way we get load balancing and "fair" failover for free. Correctly configured, pen can ensure that a server farm is always available, even when individual servers are brought down for maintenance or reconfiguration. The final single point of failure, pen itself, can be eliminated by running pen on several servers, using vrrp to decide which is active. Sending pen a USR1 signal will make it print some useful statistics on stderr, even if debugging is disabled. If pen is running in the background (i.e. without the -f option), syslog is used rather than stderr. If the -w option is used, the statistics is saved in HTML for- mat in the given file. Sending pen a HUP signal will make it close and reopen the logfile, if logging is enabled, and reload the configuration file. Rotate the log like this (assuming pen.log is the name of the logfile): mv pen.log pen.log.1 kill -HUP `cat <pidfile>` where <pidfile> is the file containing pen's process id, as written by the -p option. Sending pen a TERM signal will make it exit cleanly, closing the log file and all open sockets. OPTIONS
-C port Specifies a control port where the load balancer listens for commands. -F cfgfile Names a configuration file with commands in penctl format (see penctl.1). The file is read after processing all command line argu- ments, and also after receiving a HUP signal. -H Adds X-Forwarded-For header to http requests. -P Use poll() for event notification. -Q Use kqueue() for event notification (BSD). -W Use weight for server selection. -X Adds an exit command to the control interface. -a Used in conjunction with -dd to get communication dumps in ascii rather than hexadecimal format. -b sec Servers that do not respond are blacklisted, i.e. excluded from the server selection algorithm, for the specified number of seconds (default 30). -T sec Clients are tracked for the specified number of seconds so they can be sent to the same server as the last time (default 0 = never expire clients). -S N Max number of servers (default 16). -c N Max number of clients (default 2048). -d Debugging (repeat -d for more). The output goes to stderr if we are running in the foreground (see -f) and to syslog (facility user, priority debug) otherwise. -e host:port host:port specifies the emergency server to contact if all regular servers become unavailable. -f Stay in foreground. -h Use a hash on the client IP address for the initial server selection. This makes it more predictable where clients will be con- nected. -j dir Run in a chroot environment. -l file Turn on logging. -n Nonblocking. -p file Write the pid of the running daemon to file. -r Go straight into round-robin server selection without looking up which server a client used the last time. -s Stubborn server selection: if the initial choice is unavailable, the client connection is closed without trying another server. -t sec Connect timeout in seconds (default 5). -u user Run as a different user. -x N Max number of simultaneous connections (default 256). -w file File for status reports in HTML format. -o option Use option in penctl format. -E certfile Use the given certificate in PEM format. -K keyfile Use the given key in PEM format (may be contained in cert). -G cacertfile File containing the CA's certificate. -A cacertdir Directory containing CA certificates in hashed format. -Z Use SSL compatibility mode. -R Require valid peer certificate. -L protocol ssl23 (default), ssl2, ssl3 or tls1. host:port The local address and port pen listens to. By default pen listens to all local addresses. h1:p1:soft:hard:weight:prio The address, port and maximum number of simultaneous connections for a remote server. By default, the port is the same as the local port, and the soft limit on the number of connections is unlimited. The hard limit is used for clients which have accessed the server before. The weight and prio are used for the weight- and priority-based server selection algorithms. LIMITATIONS
Pen runs in a single process, and opens two sockets for each connection. Depending on kernel configuration, pen can run out of file descriptors. The SSL support is only available if pen was built with the --with-ssl option. The SSL code is currently experimental (release 0.13.0). SEE ALSO
penctl(1), dwatch(1), mergelogs(1), webresolve(1) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 2001-2008 Ulric Eriksson, <ulric@siag.nu>. ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
In part inspired by balance by Thomas Obermair. LOCAL PEN(1)