Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Rsync copy files if dont exist Post 302723637 by Spadez on Tuesday 30th of October 2012 12:47:06 PM
Old 10-30-2012
Not yet, im paranoid about deleting my data.

So, if I have my setup like this:

TV
  • File 1 (Newer)
  • File 4

TVbackup
  • File 1 (Older)
  • File 2
  • File 3

Then I run this command:
Quote:
rsync /media/tvbackup /media/tv
I should end up with this result on the TV drive:
  • File 1 (Newer)
  • File 2
  • File 3
  • File 4

How can I get it so if there is a file with the same name on the destination as on the source, but a different size or datemodified, then the source will still be moved to the destination but with a different filename, such as file(1) or file(new).

This is 2TB of my music, movies and documents so I'm a little paranoid.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tab Completion showing files that Dont Exist

Has anyone seen this before? if i ls a particular directory (an email Maildir) i get a long list of files, if i 'du -h' that same directory, i get messages like: du: `./1053894791.17207_0.srweb,S=6199': No such file or directory strange. so using tab will complete this filename too, giving... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dittonamed
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check a file exist and do a copy of other files

Hi, I would like to perform bash which would check the file A.txt to be size 0 or not. If the size is 0, I would copy file B.txt to replace A.txt. Please help. Thanks. -Jason (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
6 Replies

3. Solaris

Using RSYNC to copy files locally

Has anyone ever used rsync to copy files locally on one server? (in this case from one SAN volume to another). I am familiar with using rsync to copy files between servers, but not locally, I would usually use cp or or tar or something. Is rsync slower? Does it use additional overhead of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

Copy only files whiich do not exist on Target Directory

Hi, I am using HP-UX B 11.23 I want to copy files from one directory into another directory in such a way that, only the nonexistent files in target directory are copied from source directory e.g. dir1 has file1 file2 file3 dir2 has file1 file3 now I want that a command... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chetanaz
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy files as space exist in file name..

Hi, i am having a directory in which files are having space in the name . $ls -1 aa b.txt my file.pdf lost file.csv foo_file.txti want to copy those file to some where with date +%F as extension . But it failed for the file having space. #!/bin/sh ls -1 >tt for var in `cat tt` do b=$var... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: posix
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract columns from a file if the name dont exist put blank

Hi, I am very new to Unix script. Suppose i have a file with column header: NAME1 NAME2 Address Tel And I always need to make a file with column header: ID NAME1 NAME2 EMail Address Tel For the columns that do not exist in the file, I would still like to make a column with blank. ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nightrider
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync copy files once

Hi This is my situation I have files on the left which I want to copy to the right. Once the files are copied to the right, they are processed and then deleted. The next time rsync runs I dont want it to copy the same files again, it should only copy any new files to the right. I have been... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: duonut
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Does rsync check and ignore files that already exist?

Hi, We have two (2) servers named primary and standby. There is a directory named /db01/archive that we need to keep in-sync. Files get transferred from primary and standby. Sometimes when we do a failover or when there is a network issue, some files fail to get transferred. I want to use... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync to copy specific subfolders and files to new directory

RootFolderI: RootFolderI/FolderA/Subfolder1/Subsub1/JPG1.jpg -> want this jpg RootFolderI/FolderA/Subfolder2/Subsub1/JPG2.jpg -> want this jpg RootFolderI/FolderA/Subfolder2/Subsub2/JPG3.jpg . . . RootFolderI/FolderB/Subfolder1/Subsub1/JPG4.jpg -> want this jpg ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blocnt
1 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Rsync - not copy certain files

I use this rsync --progress -r -u /media/andy/MAXTOR_SDB1/Ubuntu_Mate_18.04/* /home/andy/Ubuntu_18.04_Programs/Is there a way to have it not copy files such as these? 2019-02-25_11:04 I found this but can not figure out what it's doing. 3. Exclude a specific file To exclude a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
5 Replies
File::Spec::Functions(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				File::Spec::Functions(3pm)

NAME
File::Spec::Functions - portably perform operations on file names SYNOPSIS
use File::Spec::Functions; $x = catfile('a','b'); DESCRIPTION
This module exports convenience functions for all of the class methods provided by File::Spec. For a reference of available functions, please consult File::Spec::Unix, which contains the entire set, and which is inherited by the modules for other platforms. For further information, please see File::Spec::Mac, File::Spec::OS2, File::Spec::Win32, or File::Spec::VMS. Exports The following functions are exported by default. canonpath catdir catfile curdir rootdir updir no_upwards file_name_is_absolute path The following functions are exported only by request. devnull tmpdir splitpath splitdir catpath abs2rel rel2abs case_tolerant All the functions may be imported using the ":ALL" tag. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2004 by the Perl 5 Porters. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
File::Spec, File::Spec::Unix, File::Spec::Mac, File::Spec::OS2, File::Spec::Win32, File::Spec::VMS, ExtUtils::MakeMaker perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 File::Spec::Functions(3pm)