Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Shell script for search and replace by field Post 302723545 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 30th of October 2012 10:40:12 AM
Old 10-30-2012
There is no locale that applies to local conventions around the world (because by definition local conventions such as the spelling of calendar months varies from location to location), but I suppose it is theoretically possible to have an incomplete locale that would have character type and collation tables that contained all of the characters in UTF-8. Assuming that your system administrator had created and installed such an incomplete locale on your system as utf8.UTF-8, you could then invoke your script by using the command:
Code:
LANG=en_US.UTF-8 LC_COLLATE=utf8.UTF-8 LC_CtYPE=utf8.UTF-8 substitute [options] input_data_file...

instead of the command:
Code:
substitute [options] input_data_file...

Note that the setting of LC_COLLATE will affect everything in your script that compares characters such as the sort utility (other than just testing that two strings are the same or that two strings are different) and LC_CTYPE will affect everything in your script that tries to determine whether a character is in a certain class (such as uppercase letter, lowercase letter, alphanumeric, ...) so setting up an LC_CTYPE category for this locale to work correctly when used with other categories in other locales might not be a trivial task. Smilie

Good luck,
Don
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace dynamic data in a shell script

Hi, I have a file that looks something like this: ... 0,6,256,87,0,0,0,1187443420 0,6,438,37,0,0,0,1187443380 0,2,0,0,0,10,0,1197140320 0,3,0,0,0,10,0,1197140875 0,2,0,0,0,23,0,1197140332 0,3,0,0,0,23,0,1197140437 0,2,0,0,0,17,0,1197140447 0,3,0,0,0,17,0,1197140543... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: csejl
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk search and replace field

I am writing a c++ program that has many calls of pow(input,2). I now realize that this is slowing down the program and these all should be input * input for greater speed. There should be a simple way of doing this replacement throughout my file with awk, but I am not very familiar with awk.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluejayek
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - search and replace a particular field

Hi, I have a file having around 30 records. Each record has 5 fields delimited by PIPE. Few records in the file having Junk characters in the field2 and field4. I found the junk charcter and I tested it and replace the junk with space with the command below perl -i -p -e "s/\x00/ /g"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramkrix
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search duplicate field and replace one of them with new value

Dear All, I have file with 4 columns: 1 AA 0 21 2 BB 0 31 3 AA 0 21 4 CC 0 41 I would like to find the duplicate record based on column 2 and replace the 4th column of the duplicate by a new value. So, the output will be: 1 AA 0 21 2 BB 0 31 3 AA 0 -21 4 CC 0 41 Any suggestions... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezhil01
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a string,get line and replace with second field

Hi, I need to search for source path in file2 , as per file1 and if found get the next line and take the field value and put it in URL value of file1. In file1, NF is not same for all the lines. file1: <type source="/home/USER/Desktop" Dest="/home/USER/DIR1/Desktop" URL="ssh/path"/> <type... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: greet_sed
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace field?

I have 2 files A.txt and B.txt A.txt 3 fields and separate by a comma some,thing,florida any1,thing1,california some2,thing2,dallas just,fun,kansas B.txt has 8 fields and separate by a comma what,ever,florida-state,,,,,, some,one,dallas_state,,,,,, You will see 3rd fields are the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabercats
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk search and replace in a targeted field instead of $0

Hi I would like to apply this gawk command: gawk '{$0=gensub(/\y+\y/,"","g"); print}' file not to the whole $0 but just to the part of $0 that is between: (a number)"> and </mrk> Is it possible? thanks for your help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: louisJ
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search field in text file and replace value

Hi there, First of all this is my first post here. Thank you in advance for your help. What I am trying to do is the following. I have a text file where each field of each row is separated by a tabulator. Looks like this: ATOM 1 N HSE A 26 3.033 -10.429 -2.262 1.00 17.07 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: doom4
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a value and replace other field in the same set

Hello friends, I have huge file with many sets where each "set" has few lines and each set always begins with "Set" in Sq brackets as shown above. # cat file1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnus29
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search and replace the last field

Hi All, Seeking for your assistance on how to search and replace the last field/column. please see sample below: inputfile1.csv ="8923523434",="543623534"="afd23535623",="100"="200" ="8923523431",="543623536"="afd23535626",="101"="201"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: poginiks
3 Replies
LOCALE(1)                                                        Linux User Manual                                                       LOCALE(1)

NAME
locale - get locale-specific information SYNOPSIS
locale [option] locale [option] -a locale [option] -m locale [option] name... DESCRIPTION
The locale command displays information about the current locale, or all locales, on standard output. When invoked without arguments, locale displays the current locale settings for each locale category (see locale(5)), based on the settings of the environment variables that control the locale (see locale(7)). Values for variables set in the environment are printed without dou- ble quotes, implied values are printed with double quotes. If either the -a or the -m option (or one of their long-format equivalents) is specified, the behavior is as follows: -a, --all-locales Display a list of all available locales. The -v option causes the LC_IDENTIFICATION metadata about each locale to be included in the output. -m, --charmaps Display the available charmaps (character set description files). To display the current character set for the locale, use locale -c charmap. The locale command can also be provided with one or more arguments, which are the names of locale keywords (for example, date_fmt, ctype- class-names, yesexpr, or decimal_point) or locale categories (for example, LC_CTYPE or LC_TIME). For each argument, the following is dis- played: * For a locale keyword, the value of that keyword to be displayed. * For a locale category, the values of all keywords in that category are displayed. When arguments are supplied, the following options are meaningful: -c, --category-name For a category name argument, write the name of the locale category on a separate line preceding the list of keyword values for that category. For a keyword name argument, write the name of the locale category for this keyword on a separate line preceding the keyword value. This option improves readability when multiple name arguments are specified. It can be combined with the -k option. -k, --keyword-name For each keyword whose value is being displayed, include also the name of that keyword, so that the output has the format: keyword="value" The locale command also knows about the following options: -v, --verbose Display additional information for some command-line option and argument combinations. -?, --help Display a summary of command-line options and arguments and exit. --usage Display a short usage message and exit. -V, --version Display the program version and exit. FILES
/usr/lib/locale/locale-archive Usual default locale archive location. /usr/share/i18n/locales Usual default path for locale definition files. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001, POSIX.1-2008. EXAMPLE
$ locale LANG=en_US.UTF-8 LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8" LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8" LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8" LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8" LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8" LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8" LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8" LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8" LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8" LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8" LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8" LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8" LC_ALL= $ locale date_fmt %a %b %e %H:%M:%S %Z %Y $ locale -k date_fmt date_fmt="%a %b %e %H:%M:%S %Z %Y" $ locale -ck date_fmt LC_TIME date_fmt="%a %b %e %H:%M:%S %Z %Y" $ locale LC_TELEPHONE +%c (%a) %l (%a) %l 11 1 UTF-8 $ locale -k LC_TELEPHONE tel_int_fmt="+%c (%a) %l" tel_dom_fmt="(%a) %l" int_select="11" int_prefix="1" telephone-codeset="UTF-8" The following example compiles a custom locale from the ./wrk directory with the localedef(1) utility under the $HOME/.locale directory, then tests the result with the date(1) command, and then sets the environment variables LOCPATH and LANG in the shell profile file so that the custom locale will be used in the subsequent user sessions: $ mkdir -p $HOME/.locale $ I18NPATH=./wrk/ localedef -f UTF-8 -i fi_SE $HOME/.locale/fi_SE.UTF-8 $ LOCPATH=$HOME/.locale LC_ALL=fi_SE.UTF-8 date $ echo "export LOCPATH=$HOME/.locale" >> $HOME/.bashrc $ echo "export LANG=fi_SE.UTF-8" >> $HOME/.bashrc SEE ALSO
localedef(1), charmap(5), locale(5), locale(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2017-09-15 LOCALE(1)