Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting grepping files and then renaming file Post 302723241 by Yoda on Monday 29th of October 2012 06:06:02 PM
Old 10-29-2012
If 1234 is the sequence number:-

Code:
find . -name "*" -type f -exec grep -l 1234 {} \; -exec mv {} 1234 \;

Note: please make sure you don't have the same sequence number in more than one file.

Last edited by Yoda; 10-29-2012 at 07:16 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing prefix from multiple files and renaming file extension

Hello i have the files in this format pdb1i0t.ent pdb1lv7.ent pdb1pp6.ent pdb1tj2.ent pdb1xg2.ent pdb2b4b.ent pdb2ewe.ent Now i have to remove the prefix pdb from all the files and also i need to change the extension of .ent to .txt The new file should look like this ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: empyrean
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming files by matching info from a separate file

Hi All, I could use a bit of help with this as I'm at a loss. I have a number of files all named accordingly: I have a separate text file that is as follows: What I want to do is end up with: I don't know how to do this, though I'm certain it can be done, and would rather learn how... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Demosthenes
14 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming files in one file from names in other

Hi Guys, I have a small problem of renaming multiple files. For example I have names of a set of files in one directory like K2_34625-34675 K7_988963-988983 K12_773882-7734102 and the other set corresponding to the same is U_P_321_9_3_11.ab1 U_P_322_9_3_11.ab1 U_P_323_9_3_11.ab1 Now... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
23 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping file names, comparing them to a directory of files, and moving them into a new directory

got it figured out :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sHockz
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming all files inside a zipped file

Hi, To all the Unix gurus this should be a simple task, but as a newbie I'm finding it hard to crack this. Any help is highly appreciated... Scenario: Step 1 : Move zip file from FTP folder to WORK folder Step 2: Unzip the file "Sample_YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.tar.gz" which contains many file... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: asandy1234
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming the file name for n number of files

Hi , I am kind of new to shell scripting and found a situation to handle ... I have few files which will be ftpd in to our sustem , the file names needs to be renamed based on condition. ------------ Eg file names :- AE_JUNFOR_2013_MTD_2013-04-09-08-30-09.TXT... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chillblue
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting file into multiple files and renaming them

Hi all, Newbie here. First of all, sorry if I made any mistakes while posting this question in terms of rules. Correct me if I am wrong. :b: I have a .dat file whose name is in the format of 20170311_abc_xyz.dat. The file consists of records whose first column consists of multiple dates in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chanduris
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files to a directory, renaming it if a file with the same name already exists

Hi All, I need to copy files from one directory to another with the files to be renamed while copying if a file with the same name already exists in the target directory. THanks, Dev (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Splitting the XML file and renaming the files

Hello Gurus, I have a requirement to split the xml file into different xml files. Can you please help me with that? Here is my Source XML file <jms-system-resource> <name>PS6SOAJMSModule</name> <target>soa_server1</target> <sub-deployment> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siv51427882
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Renaming files by appending string from within file to filename

Greetings. I am working in a Linux environment and am trying to figure out a way to rename files in a directory by appending a unique strings that appears within a certain area in those files. I have gotten as far as identifying what that particular unique string is with a command like the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: HLee1981
10 Replies
RECEIVE(1)						      General Commands Manual							RECEIVE(1)

NAME
receive - receive files from the sendfile spool SYNOPSIS
receive [ -d ] [ -r ] [ -k ] [ -P ] [ -S ] [ -Z spool ] [ -q ] [ -ffrom ] file [...] receive -n [ -d ] [ -r ] [ -k ] [ -P ] [ -S ] [ -Z spool ] [ -q ] file-number [...] receive [ -s ] [ -l ] [ -L ] [ -R ] [ -ffrom ] receive -b user[@host] [ -k ] [ -f"from" ] file [...] receive -b user[@host] [ -k ] [ -f"from" ] -n file-number [...] receive -b user[@host] [ -k ] -a DESCRIPTION
receive files from the sendfile spool which has been sent to you. If there is already a file with the same name you will be prompted for overwriting or renaming. Allowed wildcards in file names are: * ? [abc] [^abc] CAUTION: you have to put wildcards and other special characters in '' quotes to hide them for interpretation by your shell. OPTIONS
-n receive file number(s) -d delete instead of receive -a receive (or delete or bounce) all files -r rename before receiving -k keep files in spool after receiving -P pipe files to stdout -S receive only pgp-signed files -s list files in short format -l list files -L list files and look inside archives, too -R renumber files in spool -b bounce (forward) files to another recipient -q quiet mode: no questions asked -fuser all actions refer only to files from this user -Z spool specify an alternate spool directory EXAMPLES
receive -L list all files in long format. receive 'blubb*' receive all files starting with string "blubb". receive -daf microsoft.com delete all files from microsoft.com sites. receive -b framstag@bofh '*.jpg' bounce all *.jpg-files to framstag@bofh. FILES
/var/spool/sendfile The sendfile spool directory. /var/spool/sendfile/$USER/log A log of the last transfers. /etc/sendfile.deny Users which are not allowed to receive files or messages (set by root). SEE ALSO
sendfile(1). AUTHOR
Ulli Horlacher - framstag@rus.uni-stuttgart.de 3rd Berkeley Distribution RECEIVE(1)