Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: find command listing
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting find command listing Post 302722953 by ajayram on Monday 29th of October 2012 05:28:43 AM
Old 10-29-2012
Question ls -lf is correct

Hello,

I tried ls -lf on a subdirectory of the main directory Music,. and got a huge list of files in 3 columns

Code:
ajayram@pc13:/media/HITACHI/Music/Hindi Music$ ls -lf
Abhijeet Sawant/                                                 Piya Haji Ali-Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan.WAV                    Rang De Basanti/
Agnee/                                                           AlbumArt_{95109B16-8980-425B-9D75-7C1BD9569130}_Small.jpg  Rangeela/
Aisha/                                                           AlbumArt_{ADAE49DB-6396-4F0A-86E3-79DF94F56DAF}_Large.jpg  Refugee/
I hate love stories/                                             AlbumArt_{ADAE49DB-6396-4F0A-86E3-79DF94F56DAF}_Small.jpg  Rock on/
Instant Karma/                                                   AlbumArt_{D4826E15-A4F0-4E8C-8448-2C5DB13E3C86}_Large.jpg  Saajan/
Jaan Leva.WAV                                                    AlbumArt_{D4826E15-A4F0-4E8C-8448-2C5DB13E3C86}_Small.jpg  Saawariya/

The output is in unsorted order.

I then scanned the output for .WAV files ie reading Column 1 from top to bottom, then Column 2 and then Column 3 and it gives the same output as this find command run on the top level directory ..

Code:
ajayram@pc13:/media/HITACHI/Music$ find -name *.WAV

So does the find command work like this ? It takes the input directory and goes through all sub directories and executes
Code:
 ls -lf

and filters from that the files of the required type ( here in this case *.WAV)

However, I have another doubt, when I ran the find command on the top level Music Directory, the Music Directory had no *.WAV files in it , but only in the directories beneath it, thus it gave the desired output,. I expected a similar output when I go to the Hindi Music Directory, I thought that find would give me all the *.WAV files in that directory and directories beneath it.

But it just returns one line of the output and throws up and error !

Code:
ajayram@pc13:/media/HITACHI/Music/Hindi Music$ find -name *.WAV 
find: paths must precede expression: Baazigar Title Track.WAV
Usage: find [-H] [-L] [-P] [-Olevel] [-D help|tree|search|stat|rates|opt|exec] [path...] [expression]

could someone please clarify this ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find files older than 5 days and remove tem after listing

need help with this ... Find files older than 5 days and remove tem after listing list "test" file older than 5 days and then remove them (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ypatel6871
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

listing year in ls command

Hi all .. As per rule i searched the forum i am not able found out ... I want to display the year in when listing the files .. when i use ls -lt it is not displaying files with recent 6 month old .. I know that perderabo has written a script for that if you give that link it will be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command nonrecurslu listing ls -lrt

---------------------------------------------------------------------- I have tried find . type -f -exec ls -lrt {} \; but it listed files recursively ,I need only that dir files not internal dir file. --------------------------------------------------------------------- (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find problem listing directories even -type f

Hi All, #!/bin/ksh find /home/other -ls -type f -xdev | sort -nrk7 | head -2 >bigfile.txt The above is my script, which writes the large file into a file called bigfile.txt. My script contains only the above two lines. after execution i am getting the output like find: cannot chdir to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arunprasad
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command -- listing files twice

I noticed the other day that after i used the find command to search for some files, the computer listed them twice -- first with just the names of the files (meaning ./(then the individual file names), then with the directory name, followed by the file names (./directory name/file name). I was... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Long listing of files using find command on remote server via SSH

Hi , I am trying to find some files on a remote machine using the find command. >ssh -q atukuri@remotehostname find /home/atukuri/ -name abc.txt /home/atukuri/abc.txt The above command works fine and lists the file, but if I want to do a long listing of files (ls -l) its not working . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atukuri
2 Replies

7. Solaris

SFTP Command Help - listing files

Ok I am just going to explain what I am running step by step sftp user@hostname sftp > ls < when I run the command "ls" I get a long listing the old version, on the new version I get a short listing how can I change my new version to give me long listing by default (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: slufoot80
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find directory listing from root to all files in tree format with details of perm/own/grp?

Hi, My apologies if my query is already available on this forum but I am new and could not find. I need a script to list all directories/sub directories and files with permissions/groups/owners. The script would run from home directory and should capture every directory. How do I do this? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 8709711
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Listing only the files under a directory from the result of find command

Hi, I have a main folder 'home'. Lets say there is a folder 'bin' under 'home'. I want to check the list of files under subdirectories present under the /bin directory created in the last 24 hours. I am using the following find command under home/bin directory: find . -mtime -1 -print ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DJose
3 Replies

10. AIX

Getting files through find command and listing file modification time upto seconds

I have to list the files of particular directory using file filter like find -name abc* something and if multiple file exist I also want time of each file up to seconds. Currently we are getting time up to minutes in AIX is there any way I can get file last modification time up to seconds. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nitesh sahu
4 Replies
music123(1)						      General Commands Manual						       music123(1)

NAME
music123 - plays various sound files (usually including MP3, Ogg and Wav). SYNOPSIS
music123 [ -hqrvz ] file ... DESCRIPTION
music123 is a shell around various command line programs to play music files. It will descend directories trees with -r, and randomize file lists with -z. The programs used and the options given them are listed in /etc/music123rc or ~/.music123rc. OPTIONS
-h Show command help and exit; -q Quiet mode. No messages are displayed. -r Recurse into directories, instead of ignoring them. -v Display version information and exit. -z Play files in random order. -Z Play the files randomly and endlessly. -l Loop. -z -l differs from -Z in that -z -l will randomize, play through the song list (without repetition) in random order once, and repeat the songs in that order over and over; -Z will randomly play the songs, without any order, and will possibly play a song right after itself. -i Ignore extension case. -L List files and exit. -T Start a task that handle commands, only one command supported : quit, using q or Q will quit the application at the end of the cur- rent song. -D Set music123 not to delay between songs. (May make music123 harder to kill). -d Customize the time music123 delays between songs. -d takes one argument, expressed in seconds, which may have a fractional part. -@ Play the files listed in the mandatory argument of -@. Other files can be added on the command line, and this option can be given several times. Note that music123 doesn't yet play URLs. -- End option list. EXAMPLES
Play three songs: music123 test1.ogg test2.mp3 test3.wav Play a couple of directories and other songs at random: music123 -z -r Rock/ test1.ogg Pop/ test4.wav FILES
/etc/music123rc Describes which programs music123 uses, which files types it supports, and which options it passes those programs. ~/.music123rc Per-user config file to override the system wide settings. AUTHORS
Authors: David Starner <dvdeug@debian.org> July 24, 2002 music123(1)