Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Concatenate Numerous Files
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Concatenate Numerous Files Post 302722881 by sudon't on Monday 29th of October 2012 02:22:35 AM
Old 10-29-2012
Yes, I do find this all extremely helpful and enlightening. Believe it or not, using sort did occur to me.
But you are right - for the immediate job at hand, renaming files is an unnecessary distraction. Unfortunately, I often get distracted with trying to order things - a symptom of my illness. On the other hand, I thought to keep the originals, and would like them to sort properly. But yes, let's leave that exercise for another time.
OK, since all directories are sorted into canonical order, and since all files have been renumbered with my little regex, this was all that was needed:
Code:
sort -n OTfilelist.txt > OTfilelistsorted.txt

They are now all in perfect order, so let's take a moment to grab a beer out of the fridge, and go back to your original instructions....

---------- Post updated at 02:22 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:05 AM ----------

Code:
cat: Testament/21_Ecclesiastes/Ecclesiastes12.txt: No such file or directory
cat: Testament/22_Song: No such file or directory

As you can see, it lost Ecclesiastes12.txt because there's an unescaped space between Old and Testament. And it sees Song of Solomon as three different (non-existent) directories.
Also, changing the filenames in the list files was a bad idea. And in retrospect, it is clear why. So, find does not escape any spaces in filenames in it's print output. It's funny, if I just drag a file onto the Terminal, it shows the path with all spaces escaped. You would expect the opposite since drag & drop is such a Mac thing, while find is a real unix program.
Is it possible to simply pipe the stdout of find directly to cat? Perhaps that could eliminate the problem of how it prints paths? Or, better yet, pipe find to sort to cat? Am I over-estimating the omnipotence of unix? I have to admit, it's powerful one-liners that get me excited. It's what really drew me into wanting to learn unix in the first place.
Then again, it may pay to go ahead and fix the actual filenames first. Since it's 02:00 where I'm at, it may be best if I come back to it tomorrow.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting numerous files

Hi there, I have numerous files in a directory (approx 2500) that I want to delete although I get the following:- Server> rm *.* Arguments too long Is there a proper way of deleting this rather than breaking it down further through the list of files rm *10.* rm *11.* rm *12.* ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hayez
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to concatenate all files.

Hi, I'm totally new to Unix. I'm an MVS mainframer but ran into a situation where a Unix server I have available will help me. I want to be able to remotely connect to another server using FTP, login and MGET all files from it's root or home directory, logout, then login as a different user and do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s80bob
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to concatenate several files

I need a script to concatenate several files in one step, I have 3 header files say file.S, file.X and file.R, I need to concatenate these 3 header files to data files, say file1.S, file1.R, file1.X so that the header file "file.S" will be concatenated to all data files with .S extentions and so on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: docaia
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate rows in to 2 files

I have 2 files FILEA 1232342 1232342 2344767 4576823 2325642 FILEB 3472328 2347248 1237123 1232344 8787890 I want the output to go into a 3rd file and look like: FILEC 1232342 3472328 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: unxusr123
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate files

I have directory structure sales_only under which i have multiple directories for each dealer example: ../../../Sales_Only/xxx_Dealer ../../../Sales_Only/yyy_Dealer ../../../Sales_Only/zzz_Dealer Every day i have one file produce under each directory when the process runs. The requirement... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanmuthu
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate files

Hi, I want to create a batch(bash) file to combine 23 files together. These files have the same extension. I want the final file is save to a given folder. Once it is done it will delete the 23 files. Thanks for help. Need script. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zhshqzyc
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate files

I have a file named "file1" which has the following data 10000 20000 30000 And I have a file named "file2" which has the following data ABC DEF XYZ My output should be 10000ABC 20000DEF (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenate Several Files to One

Hi All, Need your help. I will need to concatenate around 100 files but each end of the file I will need to insert my name DIRT1228 on each of the file and before the next file is added and arrived with just one file for all the 100files. Appreciate your time. Dirt (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dirt1228
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenate files

Hi I am trying to learn linux step by step an i am wondering can i use cat command for concatenate files but i want to place context of file1 to a specific position in file2 place of file 2 and not at the end as it dose on default? Thank you. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: iliya24
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenate files and delete source files. Also have to add a comment.

- Concatenate files and delete source files. Also have to add a comment. - I need to concatenate 3 files which have the same characters in the beginning and have to remove those files and add a comment and the end. Example: cat REJ_FILE_ABC.txt REJ_FILE_XYZ.txt REJ_FILE_PQR.txt >... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eskay
0 Replies
CAT(1)									FSF								    CAT(1)

NAME
cat - concatenate files and print on the standard output SYNOPSIS
cat [OPTION] [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Concatenate FILE(s), or standard input, to standard output. -A, --show-all equivalent to -vET -b, --number-nonblank number nonblank output lines -e equivalent to -vE -E, --show-ends display $ at end of each line -n, --number number all output lines -s, --squeeze-blank never more than one single blank line -t equivalent to -vT -T, --show-tabs display TAB characters as ^I -u (ignored) -v, --show-nonprinting use ^ and M- notation, except for LFD and TAB --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. AUTHOR
Written by Torbjorn Granlund and Richard M. Stallman. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for cat is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and cat programs are properly installed at your site, the command info cat should give you access to the complete manual. cat (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 CAT(1)