Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Concatenate Numerous Files
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Concatenate Numerous Files Post 302722841 by sudon't on Sunday 28th of October 2012 07:28:22 PM
Old 10-28-2012
Use regex to change filenames

OK, I numbered the directories by hand so that they would sort in the canonical order. Now, they had the files within the directories numbered using single digit enumeration, so naturally they don't sort correctly:
Code:
./01_Old Testament/01_Genesis/Genesis1.txt
./01_Old Testament/01_Genesis/Genesis10.txt
./01_Old Testament/01_Genesis/Genesis11.txt

So I worked out a regex to place a zero in front of single digit filenames:
Code:
perl -pi -e 's/(?<=[a-z])(?=[0-9]\.txt)/0/g' ./OTfilelist.txt

I won't say how long, or how many tries it took for me to figure this out, even though I'm sure it would make for an exciting story. But, even though I am filled with a feeling of accomplishment, the filenames still do not sort correctly.
Code:
./01_Old Testament/01_Genesis/Genesis01.txt
./01_Old Testament/01_Genesis/Genesis10.txt
./01_Old Testament/01_Genesis/Genesis11.txt

No matter, because I want things to behave in the real world, too.
So, now that I have the magic regex in hand, how can I use it to change the actual filenames?
What I've been able to glean from the web is that there is a system call called "rename" which somehow should work with perl. But there is no mention of "rename" in the perl man page. On the other hand, there is a man page for rename, but it doesn't contain anything that I found illuminating. I'm guessing this is something that has to be called from a script?
I've also seen examples on the web of rename as a(n apparent) standalone executable, but I don't seem to have it. Nor can I find it though ports or fink.
Code:
-bash $ rename
-bash: rename: command not found

I guess I should mention I'm using Mac OS 10.6.8, Perl 5.12.4
Is there a different way to invoke this rename? Am I barking up the wrong tree altogether? Surely there's a one-liner solution to recursively rename files with a regex?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting numerous files

Hi there, I have numerous files in a directory (approx 2500) that I want to delete although I get the following:- Server> rm *.* Arguments too long Is there a proper way of deleting this rather than breaking it down further through the list of files rm *10.* rm *11.* rm *12.* ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hayez
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to concatenate all files.

Hi, I'm totally new to Unix. I'm an MVS mainframer but ran into a situation where a Unix server I have available will help me. I want to be able to remotely connect to another server using FTP, login and MGET all files from it's root or home directory, logout, then login as a different user and do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s80bob
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to concatenate several files

I need a script to concatenate several files in one step, I have 3 header files say file.S, file.X and file.R, I need to concatenate these 3 header files to data files, say file1.S, file1.R, file1.X so that the header file "file.S" will be concatenated to all data files with .S extentions and so on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: docaia
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate rows in to 2 files

I have 2 files FILEA 1232342 1232342 2344767 4576823 2325642 FILEB 3472328 2347248 1237123 1232344 8787890 I want the output to go into a 3rd file and look like: FILEC 1232342 3472328 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: unxusr123
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate files

I have directory structure sales_only under which i have multiple directories for each dealer example: ../../../Sales_Only/xxx_Dealer ../../../Sales_Only/yyy_Dealer ../../../Sales_Only/zzz_Dealer Every day i have one file produce under each directory when the process runs. The requirement... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanmuthu
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate files

Hi, I want to create a batch(bash) file to combine 23 files together. These files have the same extension. I want the final file is save to a given folder. Once it is done it will delete the 23 files. Thanks for help. Need script. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zhshqzyc
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate files

I have a file named "file1" which has the following data 10000 20000 30000 And I have a file named "file2" which has the following data ABC DEF XYZ My output should be 10000ABC 20000DEF (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenate Several Files to One

Hi All, Need your help. I will need to concatenate around 100 files but each end of the file I will need to insert my name DIRT1228 on each of the file and before the next file is added and arrived with just one file for all the 100files. Appreciate your time. Dirt (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dirt1228
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenate files

Hi I am trying to learn linux step by step an i am wondering can i use cat command for concatenate files but i want to place context of file1 to a specific position in file2 place of file 2 and not at the end as it dose on default? Thank you. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: iliya24
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenate files and delete source files. Also have to add a comment.

- Concatenate files and delete source files. Also have to add a comment. - I need to concatenate 3 files which have the same characters in the beginning and have to remove those files and add a comment and the end. Example: cat REJ_FILE_ABC.txt REJ_FILE_XYZ.txt REJ_FILE_PQR.txt >... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eskay
0 Replies
Tree::Simple::Visitor::Sort(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			  Tree::Simple::Visitor::Sort(3pm)

NAME
Tree::Simple::Visitor::Sort - A Visitor for sorting a Tree::Simple object heirarchy SYNOPSIS
use Tree::Simple::Visitor::Sort; # create a visitor object my $visitor = Tree::Simple::Visitor::Sort->new(); $tree->accept($visitor); # the tree is now sorted ascii-betically # set the sort function to # use a numeric comparison $visitor->setSortFunction($visitor->NUMERIC); $tree->accept($visitor); # the tree is now sorted numerically # set a custom sort function $visitor->setSortFunction(sub { my ($left, $right) = @_; lc($left->getNodeValue()->{name}) cmp lc($right->getNodeValue()->{name}); }); $tree->accept($visitor); # the tree's node are now sorted appropriately DESCRIPTION
This implements a recursive multi-level sort of a Tree::Simple heirarchy. I think this deserves some more explaination, and the best way to do that is visually. Given the tree: 1 1.3 1.2 1.2.2 1.2.1 1.1 4 4.1 2 2.1 3 3.3 3.2 3.1 A normal sort would produce the following tree: 1 1.1 1.2 1.2.1 1.2.2 1.3 2 2.1 3 3.1 3.2 3.3 4 4.1 A sort using the built-in REVERSE sort function would produce the following tree: 4 4.1 3 3.3 3.2 3.1 2 2.1 1 1.3 1.2 1.2.2 1.2.1 1.1 As you can see, no node is moved up or down from it's current depth, but sorted with it's siblings. Flexible customized sorting is possible within this framework, however, this cannot be used for tree-balancing or anything as complex as that. METHODS
new There are no arguments to the constructor the object will be in its default state. You can use the "setNodeFilter" and "setSortFunction" methods to customize its behavior. includeTrunk ($boolean) Based upon the value of $boolean, this will tell the visitor to include the trunk of the tree in the sort as well. setNodeFilter ($filter_function) This method accepts a CODE reference as it's $filter_function argument and throws an exception if it is not a code reference. This code reference is used to filter the tree nodes as they are sorted. This can be used to gather specific information from a more complex tree node. The filter function should accept a single argument, which is the current Tree::Simple object. setSortFunction ($sort_function) This method accepts a CODE reference as it's $sort_function argument and throws an exception if it is not a code reference. The $sort_function is used by perl's builtin "sort" routine to sort each level of the tree. The $sort_function is passed two Tree::Simple objects, and must return 1 (greater than), 0 (equal to) or -1 (less than). The sort function will override and bypass any node filters which have been applied (see "setNodeFilter" method above), they cannot be used together. Several pre-built sort functions are provided. All of these functions assume that calling "getNodeValue" on the Tree::Simple object will return a suitable sortable value. REVERSE This is the reverse of the normal sort using "cmp". NUMERIC This uses the numeric comparison operator "<=>" to sort. REVERSE_NUMERIC The reverse of the above. ALPHABETICAL This lowercases the node value before using "cmp" to sort. This results in a true alphabetical sorting. REVERSE_ALPHABETICAL The reverse of the above. If you need to implement one of these sorting routines, but need special handling of your Tree::Simple objects (such as would be done with a node filter), I suggest you read the source code and copy and modify your own sort routine. If it is requested enough I will provide this feature in future versions, but for now I am not sure there is a large need. visit ($tree) This is the method that is used by Tree::Simple's "accept" method. It can also be used on its own, it requires the $tree argument to be a Tree::Simple object (or derived from a Tree::Simple object), and will throw and exception otherwise. It should be noted that this is a destructive action, since the sort happens in place and does not produce a copy of the tree. BUGS
None that I am aware of. Of course, if you find a bug, let me know, and I will be sure to fix it. CODE COVERAGE
See the CODE COVERAGE section in Tree::Simple::VisitorFactory for more inforamtion. SEE ALSO
These Visitor classes are all subclasses of Tree::Simple::Visitor, which can be found in the Tree::Simple module, you should refer to that module for more information. ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
Thanks to Vitor Mori for the idea and much of the code for this Visitor. AUTHORS
Vitor Mori, <vvvv767@hotmail.com> stevan little, <stevan@iinteractive.com> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2004, 2005 by Vitor Mori & Infinity Interactive, Inc. <http://www.iinteractive.com> This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2005-07-14 Tree::Simple::Visitor::Sort(3pm)