Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to catch a two word keyword which may contain a new line(may include spaces or tab) in it? Post 302722291 by neelmani on Friday 26th of October 2012 04:24:49 PM
Old 10-26-2012
How to catch a two word keyword which may contain a new line(may include spaces or tab) in it?

How to catch a two word keyword which may contain a new line(may include spaces or tab) in it.
for example there is a file a.txt.
Code:
$more a.txt
create view 
as
(select  from
(   select
(
select

select only no (((
number
(             select
end

Code:
 grep "([[:space:]]*select" a.txt
output:
(select  from
(   select
(             select

but i want the 3rd select also to be caught(where there is a newline between "(" and "select" keyword)
i.e
(
select
what modification i should do in my grep command?

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 10-26-2012 at 05:52 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to include PDF file with spaces

I am able to include a pdf file as an attachment in an email using the following: echo "" > reports elm -s "RW100 PDF Reports" me@myemail.com < reports However, if I have a filename that contains some spaces, I'm not so lucky. I've tried: echo "" > reports but no luck. I keep getting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lawadm1
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace only if the keyword is the first word in every line

How do I replace only if the keyword is at the begining of a line? Code: -- a = “This is a print statement” print a -- What if I want to replace print by #print only in the second line i.e only if the line starts with that keyword. Please help me out. I'm new to SED. -----Post... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexzubin
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace spaces between strings in a line with tab

Hi All I am having problem in substitution of any number of spaces, or a combination of space and tab in between strings in the lines of text file. Is there any way out in Perl? Please help me. e.g., Say the input is in the following format:- XX yyy zzz... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank spaces, tab spaces from file

Hello All, I am trying to remove all tabspaces and all blankspaces from my file using sed & awk, but not getting proper code. Please help me out. My file is like this (<b> means one blank space, <t> means one tab space)- $ cat file NARESH<b><b><b>KUMAR<t><t>PRADHAN... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Include white spaces while using CUT command

Hi I tried to extract 19 characters (default) enclosed with in tag from a file using cut command. If the characters comprises of double space, the cut command gives the output with a single spacing. file 1 <name>Kumar Rajasekaran</name> cut -c7-26 "file1" the out put i received is ... (48 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekar1
48 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

catch a particular word from a specific line -perlscript

Hi, App.log contains the data- ================================================= Value of DsRef =null Recovery File exixts Recovered readFile 20110509 17:00:00.369019 +0100s The DsRef Recovered from Recovery.txt file : 20110509 17:00:00.369019 +0100 Recovered from Recovery.txt file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pspriyanka
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the next word which falls just after a keyword?

Hi friends, i just want to know the command though which i can get the next word which comes just after a particluar keyword. For example: suppose text.out is file which contains a pl/sql procedure . i want to find out the word which falls just after the "table1" keyword. Thank... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: neelmani
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a Keyword in file and replace another keyword or add at the end of line

Hi I want to implement something like this: if( keyword1 exists) then check if(keyword2 exists in the same line) then replace keyword 2 with New_Keyword else Add New_Keyword at the end of line end if eg: Check for Keyword JUNGLE and add/replace... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing tab spaces at the end of each line

I have a file which contains the data lines like below.I want to remove the tab spaces at the end of each line.I have tried with the command sed 's/\+$//' file.but it does not work.Can anyone help me on this? 15022 15022 15022 15022 15022 15022 15023 15023 15023 15023 15023 ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: am24
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to extract the word after a particular keyword throughout the file..

Hi Everyone, Need help in extracting the hostname from the below output. Expected output: DS-TESTB-GDS-1.TEST.ABC.COM DS-TESTB-GDS-2.TEST.ABC.COM .... ... /tmp $ cat -n /tmp/patchreport 1 /usr/bin/perl /admin/bin/patch/applyPatches.pl --apply_patches... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thiyagoo
4 Replies
byobu-select-backend(1) 					       byobu						   byobu-select-backend(1)

NAME
byobu-select-backend - select your default Byobu backend window manager SYNOPSIS
byobu-select-backend [screen|tmux] DESCRIPTION
byobu-select-backend is an application that lists the available Byobu backends and allows you to select your default. You can select one of either screen(1) or tmux(1) on the command line, or giving no command line parameters, the utility will run interac- tively. This utility will only affect which backend is used by default when simply running, byobu(1). Note that at any time, you can force the backend of a particular session by running the helpers, byobu-screen(1) or byobu-tmux(1). FILES
~/.byobu/backend SEE ALSO
byobu(1), byobu-screen(1), byobu-tmux(1), screen(1), tmux(1) http://launchpad.net/byobu AUTHOR
This manpage and the utility were written by Dustin Kirkland <kirkland@ubuntu.com> for Ubuntu systems (but may be used by others). Permis- sion is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document and the utility under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 3 published by the Free Software Foundation. The complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL on Debian/Ubuntu systems, or in /usr/share/doc/fedora-release-*/GPL on Fedora systems, or on the web at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt. byobu 30 Oct 2011 byobu-select-backend(1)